• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How do you carry?

OldNavy

For those of you that do.

I carry my mouse gun (Kel Tec P-32) in a Don Hume pocket holster.

The PF-9 is either in an IWB or paddle holster (depending on my attire)

Floppy_D

I am the hunted
Taurus 85 Ultra-Lite in an Uncle Mike's #4, XD9C in an IWB Backwoods holster or a Springfield GI in a Crossbreed Supertuck. For woodsy-type stuff a 45 Colt NM Blackhawk in a cowboy rig.

punx_clever

Kimber 1911 TL/RL II. I don't walk around with it, but it's with me when I travel... so I consider that a carry weapon

rare21

pilot
Contributor
Don Hume IWB holster with my duty weapon. My other holster is for open carry and I rarely ever do that off duty.

NightVisionPen

In transition
pilot
Kimber Custom II with engraved F/A-18 either Milt Sparks Versa-Max II (IWB) or Milt Sparks Axiom (OWB) depending on clothing. I will also carry a S&W 642 via pocket holster from Pocket Concealment Systems or in a Richie Leather CQ-QR (OWB) when I'm only wearing shorts and a t-shirt.

Junkball

"I believe in ammunition"
pilot
H&K P30 IWB in a Comp-Tac Minotaur MTAC

Getting a pocket holster for the SIG P232SL I just bought, probably a Desantis nemesis

Floppy_D

I am the hunted
Desantis makes great holsters. I used one (Superfly, I think) with a P3AT for a while. Anything Crossbreed, Comp-Tac, UBG or Milt Sparks is a winner. I had a Versa-Max II for a P229 that was awesome.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
Ruger Redhawk .44 mag, 5.5", Alaskan chest holster. I only carry it on the trail, along with bear spray.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Desantis makes great holsters. I used one (Superfly, I think) with a P3AT for a while. Anything Crossbreed, Comp-Tac, UBG or Milt Sparks is a winner. I had a Versa-Max II for a P229 that was awesome.

That they do. They're pricey, but good gun leather will last a very long time.

FlyinRock

Mark Fricke appendix made of Kydex. Was not a fan until I saw this one. Faster than any holster I've owned. I've got some old Davis holsters that are still fast and well made and a Milt sparks IWB and a Davis that is similar with a neat swivel system so it can be adjusted or canted for your own needs.

NightVisionPen

In transition
pilot
That they do. They're pricey, but good gun leather will last a very long time.

I always recommend custom leather to anyone who asks. Sparks, Ritchie, Alessi, Rosen, Del Fatti, 5-Shot (John Ralston), Bulman - I'm probably missing a couple. If you can find a used on or stand to wait on the backlog they will last forever.

JFB

Glock 26 OWB in a holster I made.

Holster5002.jpg

JFB

Nice rig for a DIY! Care to share the construction details?
Thank you. It's 7-8 oz leather - I believe it's shoulder. What I do first is trace the gun onto paper and then trace the design of the holster around the gun. Cut out the paper, and then trace it onto the rough side of the leather. Cut two mirror images out for each side of the holster using shears. Then I mark where to glue, then I glue the leather together, usually leaving some space where the gun is going to go. Let the glue dry.

Then it's time to mold the leather - immerse the leather in warm water for a few seconds, take out of water, then insert gun. Make sure it's in straight and how you want it, then start poking and prodding until the leather molds nicely around. Using a bone folder helps - a Sharpie pen is fine, too. I usually leave the gun in until the leather is pretty stiff. It'll take at least 12 hrs to dry depending on the weather.

I then use a sander to smooth the edges and make sure everything is even.

Then it's time to stitch. I use an 'overstitch' tool to mark where the holes will be, then I drill the holes on a drill press - use about a 0.1" drill bit. Then I use the double hand stitch technique using wax coated thread.

Then for the belt holes, I drill two pilot holes for each belt hole approx. 1.25" apart from the center of each (for a 1.25" belt). Then I use a chisel and chop away the leather.

Then I burnish the edges with the bone folder and gum tragacanth. The key to this is to rub as fast as possible creating as much heat/friction as you can. It makes the edges really smooth.

Then it's time to dye the leather (if you want) and then put a protective 'tan-kote' layer on throughout the inside and outside.

Let dry and practice your draw. :)

Here are some other ones I've done.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v700/bowlingbinder43/Holsters/