• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How different is a military career than a corporate job?

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
Shoe word is akin to old good frontier style... "But those who made the swords revealed pity to those who used them in battles otherwise the latters would still cope with mere bats." © Ernest Hemingway
Who is really failed both SWO and bubblehead is ADM Hyman Rickover, by the way. You never know...

BigRed389

None
So was Wayne E Meyer.
He turned down Command to switch over to become an Ordnance EDO.

I honestly don't know many SWOs who lat transferred to EDO that I'd consider failed SWOs.
The lat transfer process is very picky...there is no shortage of SWOs looking to jump out to pick from, and the EDO community (at least on the Weapons/C4I side) is one where you can actually run into active duty MIT grads and actual rocket scientist/laser PhD types.

Pags

N/A
pilot
So was Wayne E Meyer.
He turned down Command to switch over to become an Ordnance EDO.

I honestly don't know many SWOs who lat transferred to EDO that I'd consider failed SWOs.
The lat transfer process is very picky...there is no shortage of SWOs looking to jump out to pick from, and the EDO community (at least on the Weapons/C4I side) is one where you can actually run into active duty MIT grads and actual rocket scientist/laser PhD types.
To say that a guy who lat xferd from URL to EDO is a failure is a bit myopic. Guys at the pointy end need smart folks working the acquisition system.

IRfly

None
I'll chime in with a word of caution--the corporate world can offer much more flexibility in terms of fit. If you excel in a job, then there's a quick opportunity to advance. In the military there's a quick opportunity for more work, but not advancement.

If you find yourself in a situation that's a bad fit, you get to suck it up for three years. Sure, it's an opportunity for self-improvement, yada yada.
But don't kid yourself--a non-trivial amount of time you'll be a warm body filling a job with minimal requirements for which you are minimally qualified, but available.

Any aviators-turned-prison commanders here?

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I'll chime in with a word of caution--the corporate world can offer much more flexibility in terms of fit. If you excel in a job, then there's a quick opportunity to advance. In the military there's a quick opportunity for more work, but not advancement.

If you find yourself in a situation that's a bad fit, you get to suck it up for three years. Sure, it's an opportunity for self-improvement, yada yada.
But don't kid yourself--a non-trivial amount of time you'll be a warm body filling a job with minimal requirements for which you are minimally qualified, but available.
This is hugely variable by company and career path. One of the selling points of the Navy is that it offers guaranteed promotion opportunities, and will train you up for those jobs internally vice hiring from the outside and requiring years of experience (how does one get managerial experience if 3-5 years of management experience is always required for the position anyway?).

The jobs I worked prior to commissioning had over a dozen coworkers with the company for > 10 years. There was one manager and he wasn't going anywhere anytime soon.

The real down side is that the Navy will kick you out if you don't make the cut, and you have to switch jobs even if you find yourself enjoying your billet. If you find a civilian job where you enjoy your work / pay / quality of life, usually no one is going to force you out of it in 2-3 years.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
This is hugely variable by company and career path. One of the selling points of the Navy is that it offers guaranteed promotion opportunities, and will train you up for those jobs internally vice hiring from the outside and requiring years of experience (how does one get managerial experience if 3-5 years of management experience is always required for the position anyway?).
If by train you mean: give you 6-9 months to figure stuff out on your own before you rotate to the next job, sure. After initial warfare training, there is near-zero formal instruction and minimal formalized guidance on how to be, say, an OPSO. We're all just hacking it.

IRfly

None

The jobs I worked prior to commissioning had over a dozen coworkers with the company for > 10 years. There was one manager and he wasn't going anywhere anytime soon.

The real down side is that the Navy will kick you out if you don't make the cut, and you have to switch jobs even if you find yourself enjoying your billet. If you find a civilian job where you enjoy your work / pay / quality of life, usually no one is going to force you out of it in 2-3 years.

Got it. Also understand that the "freedom" of the corporate world is sometimes the freedom to be unemployed.

But in the Navy (and military), there's no one to save you if leadership goes full 'tard. Ask the guys on the HST right now who are about to head back out to poke Iran with a 1000' long steel dildo so that CENTCOM can feel tough. Can't quit.

UInavy

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Got it. Also understand that the "freedom" of the corporate world is sometimes the freedom to be unemployed.

But in the Navy (and military), there's no one to save you if leadership goes full 'tard. Ask the guys on the HST right now who are about to head back out to poke Iran with a 1000' long steel dildo so that CENTCOM can feel tough. Can't quit.
HST? Don't think there's anything close to "right now" for them, is there?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If by train you mean: give you 6-9 months to figure stuff out on your own before you rotate to the next job, sure. After initial warfare training, there is near-zero formal instruction and minimal formalized guidance on how to be, say, an OPSO. We're all just hacking it.
Yeah, but NATOPS is still the gold standard of what the private sector calls “continuous improvement.” Try to throw a lightweight process framework like that in places that could squarely use it, and people look at you like you have a dick growing out of your forehead.

There’s days I feel like if I could found a software company with a bunch of former mil aviators and maybe some civilians that really got it, that type of company would slay it.

Reactions: IKE