• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How different is a military career than a corporate job?

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
Yeah, but NATOPS is still the gold standard of what the private sector calls “continuous improvement.” Try to throw a lightweight process framework like that in places that could squarely use it, and people look at you like you have a dick growing out of your forehead.

There’s days I feel like if I could found a software company with a bunch of former mil aviators and maybe some civilians that really got it, that type of company would slay it.
Agree 100% on all counts, but I think I'd throw NATOPS in with initial or at least warfare-centric job duties. Perhaps that's just proof that the NAE really only cares about in-aircraft performance for the first X tours.

exNavyOffRec

The real down side is that the Navy will kick you out if you don't make the cut, and you have to switch jobs even if you find yourself enjoying your billet. If you find a civilian job where you enjoy your work / pay / quality of life, usually no one is going to force you out of it in 2-3 years.

Usually in the USN you have some idea that you need to be looking for something, there are those that think they are good to go and then are not.

On the civilian side I have seen too many cases of people/departments being cut with little to no notice, my moms old company cut an entire IT division on a Friday with zero prior warning, I have seen several in the past few months that were what would be considered "rising stars" now cut from the company, in the ones I have seen many of us saw it coming for years, the manager to worker ratio was too low and too many people had seen much of what they do shifted to a central location.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Thanks dude, an MPRA guy laughing at us... Have fun with your horses...
Everyone needs their Mississippi...
SWO’s are like the fat girl that goes to the dance with the rodeo queen. You need her there, just to fend off the ugly guys, but nobody wants to be seen with her in public...

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
You guys do realize that this thread was started by a civilian seeking advice and information, right? The e-penis contest isn't a good look.
SWO's have measurable penises? I'm kidding, I'm kidding, @Spekkio is right and while these little inter-service and intra-service games are fun, the truth is the entire system needs each part to function effectively.

Reactions: IKE

taxi1

pilot
For the OP, one big difference is the odds of suffering a violent untimely death (and the thrill you get from looking over the edge at the void) is orders of magnitude greater in the military. I've never gone to work expecting to mort in my civilian job, I've seriously wondered a few times in the mil.

If that appeals to you, or turns you off...

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
For the OP, one big difference is the odds of suffering a violent untimely death (and the thrill you get from looking over the edge at the void) is orders of magnitude greater in the military. I've never gone to work expecting to mort in my civilian job, I've seriously wondered a few times in the mil.

If that appeals to you, or turns you off...
“I think we may have gotten a little close to that mountain peak, but that’s OK, because the RADALT didn’t go off . . . because we were inverted.”

Things you overhear from other crews debriefing a low-level through the North Cascades. :D