• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How did you get commissioned?

How did you get commissioned (meaning you have been commissioned already)

• Total voters

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
So what percentage of 4-yr scholarship guys get jets?

Solution to your problem - cheaper school = more beer money.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
My education cost $120,000. I sh!t you not. I could not have afforded that without scholarship, my family and I do NOT have that kind of money. NROTC 4 year scholarship was a Godsend... and I get to fly jets :D

Same thing with me, but I get to fly HELOS!!:icon_smil

snizo

Supply Officer
How did I get commissioned? Good question - my ROTC CO is probably still wondering how I managed to pull it off ;)

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Direct Commision?

How does that happen?

It's only for certain designators, such as doctors, dentists, and the like. They're usually commissioned at a rank that is comparable to their pay on the outside.

I know a lot of CEC reservists are DCO as well.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Goober;177791Solution to your problem - cheaper school = more beer money.[/QUOTE said:
Or be on 4 year scholarship and not worry about it :)

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
Direct Commision?

How does that happen?

Kind of like when Bart & Milhouse went out on the town after drinking the all-syrup Squishie, and woke up as Junior Campers....

For me, it was just about like that - woke up & went to work; at lunch, went over to the local Officer Recruiter, raised right hand, & presto! Instant naval officer. (There was some paperwork involved along the way as well...)

As was mentioned, the Reserves will direct commission a few folks with specific civilian skill sets:
Engineering Duty Officer
Cryptology Officer
Intelligence Officer
Merchant Marine Officer
Public Affairs Officer
Oceanography Officer
Medical Programs – Medical, Dental, Nurse, and Medical Service Corps
Supply Corps Officer
Chaplain Corps Officer
Civil Engineer Corps

When I was assigned at NSAWC there was an "old school" Hornet guy (early 80s year group) who was a Direct Commission - the only aviator (other than John Lehman) that I had ever heard of commissioned that way. Had some kind of story whose details now escape me.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Hmm... The Direct-Input Limited Duty Officer, also known as DILDO.

All kidding aside, do all those types still go to OIS in Newport? I was at NAPS as a Corporal, and it was always pretty crazy to have a Commander salute me and call me "Sir".