• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS How competitive would prior pilot/flying experience make me for a pilot slot in OCS?

HuggyU2

None
On the USAF side, pilot slots go to:
- USAFA grads.
- then AFROTC grads
- then OTS fills the rest of the quota.

Is that roughly how Navy does it?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
On the USAF side, pilot slots go to:
- USAFA grads.
- then AFROTC grads
- then OTS fills the rest of the quota.

Is that roughly how Navy does it?

No, it’s usually shared equally for Navy.

Yup, much less of a pecking order in the Navy (if any?) when it comes to officer designator selections though I know OCS is the easiest spigot to turn on or off.

HuggyU2

None
I miscommunicated. Basically it's what Flash said: we use OTS to turn the spigot up or down.

exNavyOffRec

I miscommunicated. Basically it's what Flash said: we use OTS to turn the spigot up or down.
When I did the math a few months ago the SNA spots for OCS ended up being like 40% or so of the total SNA's for each FY for the past few years (excluding FY 22 and FY 23)

BlueDog58

That’s still accurate. OCS numbers are adjusted based on needs of the Navy and ROTC / USNA losses from service assignment (medical, legal, academics etc)
Yup, much less of a pecking order in the Navy (if any?) when it comes to officer designator selections though I know OCS is the easiest spigot to turn on or off.
So could you say USAF grads (Academy, ROTC or even OTS) get a better shot at flying?

BlueDog58

To give you some insight from someone who was late in the game. It’s good that you’re thinking about these things at your age. If it’s truly Pilot or bust I would go through Auburn’s flight program. Obviously financials play a huge factor into these decisions however you’ll have a huge advantage regarding applying for a pilot slot through OCS. However, there are many factors for you to screw up between now and applying. If you get into legal trouble, wrong crowd, etc at college it can ruin your chances at applying or ever being considered. Therefore, if you feel like structure and a more demanding environment between now and then would be beneficial, I’d recommend academy. Also, with ROTC & Academy it’s a commission but not a guarantee for applying just pilot to my understanding. Therefore if it is truly Pilot of bust, get your degree through Auburn Aviation and keep yourself out of trouble. I went to Point University right down the road from Auburn. It’s definitely a place you can get into the wrong crowd if you aren’t careful.
Gotcha. I'm not worried about getting into trouble, I'm secure in my morals and can make good decisions easily. I tell myself all the time, "whatever it takes" to get there, as long as I get there. Did you end up where you wanted, wherever that was? If so, what did it take to get there?

BlueDog58

1. Don't get in trouble.
2. Don't get seriously injured doing anything.
3. Do good in college.
4. Do really well on the ASTB, this is what will mainly get you selected, no one will care about if you have a degree in Physics or History, they won't care if you did one 2 hour ride in a cessna to make sure you don't get airsick or if you are a multi engine CFI.
5. Don't get anyone pregnant, this won't affect your selection chances but it will be a distraction.

I know several officers that were high school drop outs, one due to having a kid. They ended up going to college and getting in via OCS.
Would 2 concussions playing high school football affect me? I also had a previous heart condition called Wolff Parkinson White, but that got fixed over a year ago. Airsickness isn't a problem for me.

BlueDog58

Statistically speaking, you have a much greater chance of selecting helos than an F-18. Just be prepared for the possibility that you won’t select what you want.
I hear this a lot, and I know someone's gotta do it, so why not me? I've got faith God will get me where He wants me.

FloridaDad

I hear this a lot, and I know someone's gotta do it, so why not me? I've got faith God will get me where He wants me.
The attitude I'm taking in regards to that is that I'm going to be excited to be an aviator no matter what aircraft I end up flying, but I'm going to work as hard as possible during training to maximize my chances of getting my first choice airframe. There are no guarantees (heck there's no promise I'll even be selected for OCS) but if I put the work in, and rank at the top of my class, then the odds of me getting to fly what I want are much much higher than if I just coast through training.

exNavyOffRec

yes, well were they diagnosed by a doctor? or was it the coach saying you had a concussion? If you truly had them diagnosed you will need documents to submit and depending on how they read it can take hoops to jump through, I have seen a single concussion with minor symptoms get approved fast and I have seen ones that took a year of hoop jumping.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
I got question. what factors, determines a person to be put into helios and jets?
Assuming you physically fit into all aircraft, in order:
1). Needs of the Navy or The Corps
2). Your grades
3). Your preference

Note: Item 1 constantly changes depending on what the FRS/RAG has available and is almost impossible to game the system.

BlueDog58

yes, well were they diagnosed by a doctor? or was it the coach saying you had a concussion? If you truly had them diagnosed you will need documents to submit and depending on how they read it can take hoops to jump through, I have seen a single concussion with minor symptoms get approved fast and I have seen ones that took a year of hoop jumping.
My school's licensed trainer diagnosed me. I was showing pretty much every symptom, it was pretty obvious. I had to go to a licensed doctor both times to get cleared.