• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS How competitive would prior pilot/flying experience make me for a pilot slot in OCS?

BlueDog58

Just joined this forum recently, and I've learned a lot finding stuff regarding becoming a naval aviator, and I'd like to ask a few questions. I've researched and considered all the potential routes (Naval Academy, ROTC, OCS), and have been interested in Navy ROTC at Auburn University up until I learned more about OCS. I've wanted to be a naval aviator/fighter pilot for a while, and it's kind of a "pilot or bust" thing for me, which is why I'm inclined towards OCS. I'm a junior in high school so I've still got a little bit of time before I commit. But, if I were to go through Auburn University's flight school, would that help my chances of being a naval aviator? What can I do that will give me an edge over other people competing for that pilot slot in OCS or ROTC? Anything I can do now to best prepare myself? Thanks guys.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Not sure if you have considered it, but the Marines still (I think) offer guaranteed aviation. That said, there are more rotary / tilt rotor pilots than fixed wing in the Corps.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Do well in college, stay out of trouble / drugs and stay healthy.

Do well on the ASTB exam.

The ASTB is what’s going to help out the most in terms of being selected to be a student Naval Aviator.

Meyerkord

pilot
For the Navy OCS route, honestly the flight program probably won't help that much. They take basically any major for OCS, and plenty of people without prior flight experience. I was in flight school with music majors alongside aerospace engineering majors. The biggest thing that matters is your GPA and your ASTB scores.

BlueDog58

Not sure if you have considered it, but the Marines still (I think) offer guaranteed aviation. That said, there are more rotary / tilt rotor pilots than fixed wing in the Corps.
I've thought about the Marine option a lot as well, I'm just not as familiar with that as NROTC/OCS at the moment. I have heard a lot about this though, and it's something that has grabbed my interest.

BlueDog58

For the Navy OCS route, honestly the flight program probably won't help that much. They take basically any major for OCS, and plenty of people without prior flight experience. I was in flight school with music majors alongside aerospace engineering majors. The biggest thing that matters is your GPA and your ASTB scores.
So would you say OCS is a safer bet when it comes to that pilot slot? I understand that it takes a lot of hard work to get OCS and eventually to F18s, but I'm looking at this as what's gonna give me the best chance.

BlueDog58

Do well in college, stay out of trouble / drugs and stay healthy.

Do well on the ASTB exam.

The ASTB is what’s going to help out the most in terms of being selected to be a student Naval Aviator.
Anything I can do now as a junior in high school to prepare? I'm a part of NHS at my school along with a few other clubs that would look good on a resume, I play varsity football and baseball, and take the hardest classes available at a school where base classes are advanced. I want to as much as possible that will prepare me and give me the best chance at getting that pilot slot either at NROTC or OCS.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Anything I can do now as a junior in high school to prepare? I'm a part of NHS at my school along with a few other clubs that would look good on a resume, I play varsity football and baseball, and take the hardest classes available at a school where base classes are advanced. I want to as much as possible that will prepare me and give me the best chance at getting that pilot slot either at NROTC or OCS.

Selection boards take into account your college GPA, not high school.

You still have to be accepted into college and/or a navy scholarship + USNA program. Have your sights focused on that first and once you’re in school… focus in on the other things I mentioned in my past response.

GoldLeaf

Just joined this forum recently, and I've learned a lot finding stuff regarding becoming a naval aviator, and I'd like to ask a few questions. I've researched and considered all the potential routes (Naval Academy, ROTC, OCS), and have been interested in Navy ROTC at Auburn University up until I learned more about OCS. I've wanted to be a naval aviator/fighter pilot for a while, and it's kind of a "pilot or bust" thing for me, which is why I'm inclined towards OCS. I'm a junior in high school so I've still got a little bit of time before I commit. But, if I were to go through Auburn University's flight school, would that help my chances of being a naval aviator? What can I do that will give me an edge over other people competing for that pilot slot in OCS or ROTC? Anything I can do now to best prepare myself? Thanks guys.
To give you some insight from someone who was late in the game. It’s good that you’re thinking about these things at your age. If it’s truly Pilot or bust I would go through Auburn’s flight program. Obviously financials play a huge factor into these decisions however you’ll have a huge advantage regarding applying for a pilot slot through OCS. However, there are many factors for you to screw up between now and applying. If you get into legal trouble, wrong crowd, etc at college it can ruin your chances at applying or ever being considered. Therefore, if you feel like structure and a more demanding environment between now and then would be beneficial, I’d recommend academy. Also, with ROTC & Academy it’s a commission but not a guarantee for applying just pilot to my understanding. Therefore if it is truly Pilot of bust, get your degree through Auburn Aviation and keep yourself out of trouble. I went to Point University right down the road from Auburn. It’s definitely a place you can get into the wrong crowd if you aren’t careful.

exNavyOffRec

1. Don't get in trouble.
2. Don't get seriously injured doing anything.
3. Do good in college.
4. Do really well on the ASTB, this is what will mainly get you selected, no one will care about if you have a degree in Physics or History, they won't care if you did one 2 hour ride in a cessna to make sure you don't get airsick or if you are a multi engine CFI.
5. Don't get anyone pregnant, this won't affect your selection chances but it will be a distraction.

I know several officers that were high school drop outs, one due to having a kid. They ended up going to college and getting in via OCS.

Meyerkord

pilot
So would you say OCS is a safer bet when it comes to that pilot slot? I understand that it takes a lot of hard work to get OCS and eventually to F18s, but I'm looking at this as what's gonna give me the best chance.
Yes, OCS is the safest bet for getting a guaranteed pilot slot, because you only apply to the specific jobs you want. I haven't heard of many people at USNA or ROTC who got drafted into something they didn't want, but it does happen, so that's something to keep in mind.

Something else to keep in mind is that currently about 50% of Navy pilots are selecting helos. That's something you need to be OK with if you choose to go this route.

Salvx18

Hi im new to this forum, im currently a Federal Contractor for the Navy and a full time night student. Last term, I had a lot of work and traveling I had to do for the navy, and I was struggling with my college classes because I was working long hours so my GPA dropped to the low 3’s. Would the Navy Recruiter take that into consideration versus a full time college when I apply for OCS?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Statistically speaking, you have a much greater chance of selecting helos than an F-18. Just be prepared for the possibility that you won’t select what you want.

bcal

Hi im new to this forum, im currently a Federal Contractor for the Navy and a full time night student. Last term, I had a lot of work and traveling I had to do for the navy, and I was struggling with my college classes because I was working long hours so my GPA dropped to the low 3’s. Would the Navy Recruiter take that into consideration versus a full time college when I apply for OCS?
That’s something you could say in your motivational statement about how you worked and did night school just so you could apply to be a navy officer.