• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How are NFO/Pilots paired?

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Tough crowd indeed. I thought the aviation community woulda had a sense of humor, but thanks for the feedback though! :icon_tong

Another quick question: If Pilots and NFOs switch weekly or even daily in a given aircraft, how often do they re-spraypaint their names on the side of the cockpit?

Seriously? BTW... we've got a sense of humor. Part of it involves reminding you that you're an FNG around here... and when you make it to a squadron, it'll be the same way. Find a 'Framer and ask that question.

MAKE VAPES

Uncle Pettibone
pilot
OPNAV INST 38668.2233a states that "a pilot may never fly an aircraft without his/her name on it". If you crash your own personal jet, you never fly again. You can paint your name on another pilot's jet if yours is broken, but they get really mad about that. That is why we all maintain our own aircraft with a dedicated personal crew to each and every pilot (like NASCAR).

And also (since this is the next logical question), when you go supersonic, everything goes silent in and black around the canopy. The shock waves bend the light, and since you are faster than the speed of sound, you can hear absolutelly nothing. Its really cool!

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Tough crowd indeed. I thought the aviation community woulda had a sense of humor, but thanks for the feedback though! :icon_tong

Another quick question: If Pilots and NFOs switch weekly or even daily in a given aircraft, how often do they re-spraypaint their names on the side of the cockpit?

You fly the aircraft maintenance provides you, if it has your name on it, luck you. I fly with whoever the flight schedule says I fly with, be it with the CO/XO, a DH, another aircraft commander senior to me, or the nugget in the squadron.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

That's much better. Heed the words of others as far as trying to be too funny or glib at your stage.

As to question, Maintenance Department paints the names on the cockpits and could care less if you fly the aircraft your name on it. Unlike WWII era especially in USAAF where you had your aircraft and your crewchief, when and if your name goes on an aircraft, the CPOs in Maint Control assign aircraft to flight schedule and the fact your name is on one does not factor into the equation.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
How are NFO/Pilots paired?
They get 'paired' for various & sundry reasons. It changes all the time based on a whole bunch of things & personalities & capabilities and timing and mission requirements ... and sometimes, it's just 'first come, first served'.

And then ... when we went to the I.O. w/ no BINGO fields in sight (Diego then was @ 5000' of Marston matting w/ Quonset huts and the Wogs said they'd 'shoot us down' if we crossed what passed for their ADIZ ... bring it ... :))

We left the four (4) weakest pilot/BN combo's with the beach-det @ CUBI w/ a couple of birds ... HEY!!! .... they'll be safe there, right?? RIGHT ???

Until two of 'em brought an A-6 into the CUBI break @ warp-overdrive ... THEY WERE GONNA' BE SOMEBODY (!!!!) ... and shut down both engines when he chopped the throttles ... and they didn't pop the RAT to get a re-light ... and they punched over by Grande Is.

Very jolly ... :)

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Until two of 'em brought an A-6 into the CUBI break @ warp-overdrive ... THEY WERE GONNA' BE SOMEBODY (!!!!) ... and shut down both engines when he chopped the throttles ... and they didn't pop the RAT to get a re-light ... and they punched over by Grande Is.

I went diving in Subic Bay a ton of times, none of the diver masters ever mentioned an A-6 in the water. Did they pull it?

The only aircraft on the dive charts was an F-4 which was about a 2 hour boat ride away and the dive shops didn't want to go that far out.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
You've got to wine and dine the FO's to get paired up with a good one. It's not gay, it's just the newer, thuperer Naval Aviation.

poobear24

And also (since this is the next logical question), when you go supersonic, everything goes silent in and black around the canopy. The shock waves bend the light, and since you are faster than the speed of sound, you can hear absolutelly nothing. Its really cool![/QUOTE]

So I'm assuming you would have to squawk NORDO... :icon_tong