• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Housing for IFS

johnny utah

still bigger than hip-hop
pilot
Just about everyone is living off base. I got to P'cola a few days ago and I didn't have any problems getting my orders stamped to live off base.

war eagle

IFS is a max of 50 days, not 60. Go to Bay Minette and you'll finish in about 4 weeks. And no you are not required to live in the BOQ while in IFS. At least that's the way it is right now, I'm in the middle of it....

zoomie08

Fast, Neat, Average...
Where are all the possible locations for IFS? I am looking to get an apartment in Pensacola when I get down there in a few weeks, but I am not sure that will work with having to go through IFS. Any ideas?

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
As I remember, Mobile, Bay Minette, Pensacola, Milton, Eglin. I heard something about Destin as well, but not certain on that. Didn't have a choice for Destin.

Rearden

So what's broken on this jet today, Chief?
None
Where are all the possible locations for IFS? I am looking to get an apartment in Pensacola when I get down there in a few weeks, but I am not sure that will work with having to go through IFS. Any ideas?

Are you a pilot or NFO? If you're an NFO, don't worry about where you'll go for IFS, worry about living close to base for the year of training you'll do there after IFS. If you're a pilot, I would think it would still be best to live near base, as you'll still probably spend more time there than at the airfield for IFS.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
I hope Destin is still up and running for IFS. Its was a great place to fly out of for a few week. Only bad part was the drive.

Best part was going out with all the instructors, IFS and civillian students after a Friday flight. IFS during football season had its good points.

zoomie08

Fast, Neat, Average...
Are you a pilot or NFO?

I'm a pilot...well, SNA. I realize I'll probably have a few months (4+ from what I've heard) before IFS with a stash job, so do you think it's best to get a place near the base? I just don't know if the drive to/from Mobile or Destin or Eglin is doable every day. Advice?

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
I went to Mobile and really enjoyed it. It's also nice because it is a tower-controlled field, so you'll get plenty of com-work in and a little bit of exposure to approach / departure on cross countries.

zoomie08

Fast, Neat, Average...
I went to Mobile and really enjoyed it. It's also nice because it is a tower-controlled field, so you'll get plenty of com-work in and a little bit of exposure to approach / departure on cross countries.

Did you live in Mobile while you were in IFS? I am pretty confused about how it works.

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
Did you live in Mobile while you were in IFS? I am pretty confused about how it works.

You really only have two options.
1) Split the distance between Whiting and Pcola if you have follow on orders
2) Get a place near base and then move when you go to Primary.

Commute to mobile is not bad, it's only about an hour and is pretty easy driving.

NCstud

If you get Eglin, or Destin they can cut you no-cost TAD orders to stay in the Q at Eglin AFB. Those are the only two places where you have the option to live there. However, that means you have to pay the cost out of pocket. It's a choice between paying for the gas out of your own car, driving to the base to get the van and then an hour and a half east, or staying out there during the week. No matter where you get, except Pensacola, there is a van that you can check out from the quarter deck. From what I've noticed, most people that live out the back gate will get either Mobile, or Bay Minette, if you live near downtown or you're a coastie, you might get Eglin or Destin. They try to provide a similar driving time for everyone, so keep that in mind.

Trev82

pilot
for those of us stuck in VA doing IFS (i have no problem with) and the poor souls doing it through manassas aviation i can't imagine we will be completed before the 50day deadline. Apparently Dulles students were up and flying by day 4 and and have already embarked on their 8th and 9th flights (started july 7th)..whereas manassas students haven't even started flying yet! Lucky me i'm supposed to begin this coming monday at manassas and will prob be stuck here until next summer..just bitter

Rearden

So what's broken on this jet today, Chief?
None
I'm a pilot...well, SNA. I realize I'll probably have a few months (4+ from what I've heard) before IFS with a stash job, so do you think it's best to get a place near the base? I just don't know if the drive to/from Mobile or Destin or Eglin is doable every day. Advice?

They pretty much assume you'll live in Pensacola, regardless of where you go to IFS, and just drive there, since IFS is really the anomaly, you'll be going to base every day that you're not in IFS, so for most of your wait time and then API after, NASP is where you'll be every day. I never heard of anyone doing the whole "stay at Eglin" thing.

Just find somewhere near base to live while you're in A-pool and API, there are always LOTS of people looking for roommates, and worry about finding somewhere more permanent when you eventually go to primary. For SNA's, Pensacola is a pretty short stay, even including your wait time, as opposed to us SNFO's, who are here for over 2 years (like me).

dimlight85

bears, beets, battlestar galactica.
Alright...I looked up what IFS is exactly but haven't really read much about it on these forums. From their site is says that SNA's and SNFO's have to complete this before starting API but I haven't seen this mentioned in any other place as part of the pipeline. I'm just curious about what it is exactly and if you go there directly after OCS.