• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Housing for IFS

IrishEagle85

what determines which airport you go to IFS for?

IFS claims they try to do it based on your address. Something like the closer to the base you live, the closer your IFS location. A buddy of mine and I chose to live in the Q, and we were both given Pensacola IFS locations, in which case it is a 30 minute drive each way, sometimes 20-25 if you know how to drive ;-)

scottwith1t

east coast
pilot
I'm a pilot...well, SNA. I realize I'll probably have a few months (4+ from what I've heard) before IFS with a stash job, so do you think it's best to get a place near the base? I just don't know if the drive to/from Mobile or Destin or Eglin is doable every day. Advice?

4 months of stash down in pensacola? no, not even close. right now i'd say its a month or less, 2 months max.

IrishEagle85

4 months of stash down in pensacola? no, not even close. right now i'd say its a month or less, 2 months max.

I guess it varies. The only people I've heard about having obscenely long stash jobs are the ones that get suckered into key jobs in Flight Management and IFS. On the other hand, I was stashed at water survival (greatest stash job ever, for any inbound Ensigns) and I was stashed for 3 weeks tops.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
As previously mentioned, Destin will take you a good deal longer than going to mobile if you don't live in Gulf breeze or somewhere in that area. I lived less than a mile from the back gate and I usually gave myself about 2 hours to get there. In the 60 or 70 days I was driving to Destin for IFS (normal length for Destin...) my friend and I were able to get the van all but 2 or 3 days... The vans usually wen't unused, and it was for stupid reasons. For all the bitching and moaning about the cost of the commute most guys opted for the comfort of their own car, instead of the free use of the vans...

Oh, and the flying kicks ass in Destin. We saw manatees, dolphins, and sharks from the air, as well as having F-15's, F-16's , and C-130's not far off our wing. Miracle strip also has the most laid back atmosphere of all the schools. The only shitty thing is the 3 to 4 hours a day you spend on the road.

lax014

heading down to pensacola api/ifs after ocs, do find places to live off base before arriving? or live in temp. housing on base, get orders stamped and processed then move off base?

scottwith1t

east coast
pilot
heading down to pensacola api/ifs after ocs, do find places to live off base before arriving? or live in temp. housing on base, get orders stamped and processed then move off base?
most people seem to stay at the BOQ at first then find places / people to live with over the next few days.

the BOQ is actually really nice, the only reason i moved out is because you really do make bank by living with roommates.

zoomie08

Fast, Neat, Average...
I guess it varies. The only people I've heard about having obscenely long stash jobs are the ones that get suckered into key jobs in Flight Management and IFS. On the other hand, I was stashed at water survival (greatest stash job ever, for any inbound Ensigns) and I was stashed for 3 weeks tops.

What are the best stash jobs? And, do they ever run out of stash jobs or is that just wishful thinking? Forgive the ignorance. This is all new to me since I graduated from the Air Force Academy and commissioned as a Navy ENS.

IrishEagle85

What are the best stash jobs? And, do they ever run out of stash jobs or is that just wishful thinking? Forgive the ignorance. This is all new to me since I graduated from the Air Force Academy and commissioned as a Navy ENS.

As far as I am aware, there are a set amount of stash jobs, although this might be somewhat inaccurate because it seemed like there was always a new guy standing watch at flight management. But I believe there are a number people who get away in A-pool without getting assigned stash jobs. I volunteered for my stash job because I was getting badgered to repeatedly take the ASTB study.

The two good stash jobs that I know of are gidunk(sp?) and water survival at the pool. At the pool, we basically stand watch for an hour and a half to two hours every other day while holding life preservers for the remedial water survival classes. Aside from that, you can come in when it's not your watch and swim.

giddy_up

Hey ya'll...I've been scanning this site for info the past couple of years but I figured I'd go ahead and join for good. Is the current housing situation (as of mid to late Aug) still allowing dudes to live out in town or are they forcing the singles into the Q again? I'm supposed to be down there on the 5th of Sept and i'm trying to figure out my options. I'm considering Austinwood Apts (or somewhere less than 10 mins from the back gate) and was wondering if anyone had any current opinions/ advice/ lives there/ knows some hot college coeds that live there? BTW i'm slated SNA so i'll be like most totally for sure moving after IFS and API.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I'm considering Austinwood Apts (or somewhere less than 10 mins from the back gate) and was wondering if anyone had any current opinions/ advice/ lives there/ knows some hot college coeds that live there? BTW i'm slated SNA so i'll be like most totally for sure moving after IFS and API.

:::points and laughs:::

You'll be in the navy then. If you don't have something, lower your standards till you find something. like most totally for sure.

If college girls is your thing, i'm sure there's a cosmetology school at PCC. Otherwise, just go to the reef, jellyfish, fish house, flounders, capt fun, mcguires, etc etc etc and slay cougars till your hearts content.

giddy_up

okay...a simple "wrong" would've done just fine jk...hopefully i'll be awarded some points and god will have mercy on my soul...in all seriousness as long as I can surf and drink beer on the beach i'm a happy camper

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
okay...a simple "wrong" would've done just fine jk...hopefully i'll be awarded some points and god will have mercy on my soul...in all seriousness as long as I can surf and drink beer on the beach i'm a happy camper

in that case, find a roommate or two and split a house in one of the neighborhoods right out the back gate. bout 8 mins from the beach, 10 from NASC building.

if you want to be super baller, get one of the furnished condos on perdido and have just one roommate in a 3 bed stateroom on the key. bout 2 seconds from the beach, and 20 mins from NASC, and pretty pricey, but worth it if you plan on surfing. easy walk from the beach to home, and sweet community.

Gonzo08

*1. Gangbar Off
None
in that case, find a roommate or two and split a house in one of the neighborhoods right out the back gate. bout 8 mins from the beach, 10 from NASC building.

if you want to be super baller, get one of the furnished condos on perdido and have just one roommate in a 3 bed stateroom on the key. bout 2 seconds from the beach, and 20 mins from NASC, and pretty pricey, but worth it if you plan on surfing. easy walk from the beach to home, and sweet community.

FYI, I'm moving into one of the fully furnished condo/apartments on Perdido Key on Sunday the 24th. My roommate is already there, we have a 2nd floor, 2 bedroom w/ balcony at a complex called Grand Carribean. He says it's about a 200 yd walk from the "private beach" plus there's a pool. Can't wait!!

Oh and my roommate said there are some cute girls around too giddy.