• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Household Goods move HHG question

crevans2

FAO, former NFO, formerer E
Bad news, I can't move my stuff to Whiting Field until I'm done with API. That means I only get the 600 pounds for TAD. How the hell do I move my soon to be wife, two vehicles, and a household of stuff? I can't just leave it all here! This is so frustrating... I think I have to just pay out of pocket for a moving company to move my stuff. This sucks.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think I have to just pay out of pocket for a moving company to move my stuff. This sucks.
Definitely do not do this out of pocket. Are you currently active duty? You need someone to take a look at your orders and explain the way forward on this.

TimeBomb

Noise, vibration and harshness
crevans2,
It sounds like the moving people are telling you that they aren't going to commit to the cost of moving you until you have completed API, don't attrite right out of the blocks, and you have believable orders to a VT somewhere.

Recent experience with the order process out of API was that the SNAs didn't get actual PCS orders to the VTs until they had completed IFS. Best case scenario, nobody knew for sure where they were going until about 6 weeks before they had to report to the VTs. Worst case, about 10 days.

So the question now is: "Are you willing to bet a lot of time and a few grand of your hard-earned dough on follow on orders?" Orders get changed pretty regularly, as you know, and if there's a big pool at Whiting when you finish API, you could possibly end up getting those orders modified to Corpus. Do you want to move all you own from Oregon to Pensacola, knowing that you'll have to pack it all up and move it again in 3 months if you get orders to Corpus?

If you end up at Whiting, do as Tomodachi says. Driving an hour or more for an 0530 brief gets old fast.

Zippy is correct also. You'll get one move on these orders. My advice: Put your stuff in storage in Oregon, pack up the bride and as many of your heaviest possessions as you can cram into your car, and drive to Pensacola. Rent a furnished beachfront condo for 3 months as a once-in-a-lifetime good deal. She won't hate you as much for making her live in Milton or Corpus after that.
R/

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
Bad news, I can't move my stuff to Whiting Field until I'm done with API. That means I only get the 600 pounds for TAD. How the hell do I move my soon to be wife, two vehicles, and a household of stuff? I can't just leave it all here! This is so frustrating... I think I have to just pay out of pocket for a moving company to move my stuff. This sucks.

You're TDY while at API. If you can't survive on 600lbs for a couple months, you may need to re-evaluate how you're living. Just finish API, and when you're done, you can have everything moved down down to Milton/Pensacola. This is the way the system works man. According to the Navy, you're a single guy as well. That means that they don't really care about moving your girlfriend either. Once you're done with API, and you check in to Whiting, just describe your situation to the student control at the wing. If you need to take some leave to get stuff moved down to Milton, you can probably get it.

All that being said, it's a crappy situation, I know. I was in the same situation as you were, but for me, they were wiling to move all of my goods (as a DITY) down to the Pensacola area from my Home of Record. The only catch was that I couldn't complete my travel claim until I checked in at Whiting. For what it's worth, I didn't go through the personal property office at Pensacola, I went through the PPO at my home of record. That may have made the difference. They saw that I had follow on orders to Whiting, and that's where my goods were being taken. So, YMMV, but I wish you the best of to you.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The only catch was that I couldn't complete my travel claim until I checked in at Whiting.

Something to keep in mind is that it won't be the first time you experience the above. A lot of times when you go through the RAG as a CAT Other during a PCS, you won't be able to file your claim until you arrive at your final destination. It sucks carrying all that expense over 6 months (or more, depending on what kind of I-Stops you have), but it happens down the road as a winged aviator, too.

helo_wifey

Yes to the above. We've had to live out of pocket for 3+ months before because husband was considered TAD, and this was coming from overseas.

crevans2

Ok, so I got a few things cleared up today. I was mistaken in thinking I have follow-on orders toWhiting Field. My follow-on are to training wing six, also in Pensacola, since I'm NFO. Also, my orders say that I am authorized a PCS move because of that. So I have permanent orders with TDY enroute. Under this designation I was able to complete the move.mil HHG form and will submit it once I get a few documents signed. Thanks everyone for helping out. Hopefully this will help others in the same situation.

crevans2

I suppose my new question will be is Pensacola now be the only place I'll be stationed before FRS? Keeping in mind that I am NFO.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Yes, your only move will be to either Jacksonville, Enid, Norfolk, or one of the F-18 RAGs. Guess we all missed that little bit of reading comprehension considering the fact NFO is under your avatar. Glad everything worked out.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
Yeah, super retard points for me. Glad you got it all straightened out!