• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Household Goods move HHG question

crevans2

FAO, former NFO, formerer E
I am a prior enlisted with temp orders to NASP with follow-on permanent orders to Whiting Field.

Question: will the Navy move my HHGs to my temporary duty station? And if so, who do I need to contact to do it?

When I was sent TAD to API in Pensacola, I was not allowed to have my HHG shipped to my location. I had to wait until I got to primary before I could get my HHG months later. I hope you don't have to sleep on an air mattress for three months like I did.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
We shipped our HHG with no problems. As long as you have follow on orders to Whiting, you can use them to ship your stuff. Make sure you pick a good spot though 'cause that's the only move you get. You will not be able to collect DLA until after API however, as those orders are TAD.

Reactions: IKE

crevans2

We shipped our HHG with no problems. As long as you have follow on orders to Whiting, you can use them to ship your stuff. Make sure you pick a good spot though 'cause that's the only move you get. You will not be able to collect DLA until after API however, as those orders are TAD.

Sweet, that is really good news! Who did you contact to get your stuff shipped?

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
I am a prior enlisted with temp orders to NASP with follow-on permanent orders to Whiting Field.

Question: will the Navy move my HHGs to my temporary duty station? And if so, who do I need to contact to do it?

Since Whiting and Pcola are the same geographical location, you'll get one move. Pick a place between East of the main gate of NASP (Ie Downtown or East Hill) and Whiting to settle. Keep in mind where you want to live for the family, closeness to shopping, beaches etc, and commute to work when choosing a place.

crevans2

Since Whiting and Pcola are the same geographical location, you'll get one move. Pick a place between East of the main gate of NASP (Ie Downtown or East Hill) and Whiting to settle. Keep in mind where you want to live for the family, closeness to shopping, beaches etc, and commute to work when choosing a place.

Thanks for the advice.

I looked on a couple property management websites and found some very appealing places, i.e. 3 BR 2 bath with garage for <$900. WAY more affordable than the places here at Oregon State University. Won't be able to commit to a place until it gets closer to Oct though.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Read your orders and log into the move.mil website. It will provide all the info you need.

crevans2

Read your orders and log into the move.mil website. It will provide all the info you need.

I started with that but it has been a while since I did this and couldn't answer some basic questions. All I really want is the person I need to talk to to "get the Navy to move my stuff".

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I started with that but it has been a while since I did this and couldn't answer some basic questions. All I really want is the person I need to talk to to "get the Navy to move my stuff".
The HHG counselor will be able to answer some of your questions, but these days they won't be able to "get the Navy to move your stuff" until you go through the online process.

First things first - read your orders and all the fine print. This will (should) tell you if you're eligible to have your HHG shipped in executing the orders. More than likely, you'll only get one HHG shipment on these orders, so plan accordingly.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Additionally, the phone number to the person you are looking for will be given to you during the move.mil process. I would guess the closest military facility will handle your move...that could be Whidby Island depending on where you live in Oregon.

crevans2

The HHG counselor will be able to answer some of your questions, but these days they won't be able to "get the Navy to move your stuff" until you go through the online process.

First things first - read your orders and all the fine print. This will (should) tell you if you're eligible to have your HHG shipped in executing the orders. More than likely, you'll only get one HHG shipment on these orders, so plan accordingly.

One move is perfectly fine with me since I am staying in the same geo location. Thanks for the info, I'll do what I can on the website.

crevans2

Additionally, the phone number to the person you are looking for will be given to you during the move.mil process. I would guess the closest military facility will handle your move...that could be Whidby Island depending on where you live in Oregon.

I hope I won't have to drive all the way up there for this...

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
You can use any military facility, I did mine through Langley AFB. Just use the closest one.

Tomodachi

pilot
My recommendation if you are married/have kids: live in Milton and suck up the 45 min drive to API, which generally started around 0745 during the week. Often in primary you will have 0530 briefs and that extra hour of sleep will be worth it before flying the T-6.

If you are single then it might be better to live where you party.

crevans2

Tammie was not helpful and I'm starting to get worried I won't be able to move my stuff this Fall. Does anyone have the number for the people that handle moves in Pensacola?