• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hot new helicopter/rotorcraft news

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
NAVAIR hosting "Industry Day" at NASWF NDZ on April 1

RFP will be released this year to replace TH-57

NAVAIR not wedded to a single airframe - considering single engine VFR aircraft and dual engine advanced trainer (5,000-8000 lb medium twin) as part of syllabus - potential to do single aircraft or dual aircraft . Any aircraft selected for IFR training must be able to do Part 135 Single Pilot IFR.

Program now called "Advanced Helicopter Training System" - or "AHTS"

Repeated full auto capability to ground without any post maneuver inspection is hard and fast requirement

Training system to support 100% of flight training carried out by active duty officers and not contractors

High fidelity simulators part of the deal and will include capability to teach shipboard and formation operations in sim.

Training tracks to support both pure rotary wing and V-22 syllabus

Great information. BTW, who decided upon the requirement for full autos and who did they ask?

TexasForever

pilot
NAVAIR hosting "Industry Day" at NASWF NDZ on April 1

Training system to support 100% of flight training carried out by active duty officers and not contractors

so no sim instructors? and getting rid of reservists? am I reading this right? If that's true then there's gonna be a huge institutional change in the way things are done at south field. There's a lot of institutional inertia from the decades that training has pretty much stayed the same. Now change the aircraft, sims, syllabus, instructors… I hope it gets done right and I'd be interested to see how such a drastic change would take place. Would it be piecemeal like the T-34/T-6 transition or would they shut down the pipeline for a few months and do a total reset and restart?

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Would it be piecemeal like the T-34/T-6 transition or would they shut down the pipeline for a few months and do a total reset and restart?

Whatever they do, there would have to be a transition period. You cannot shut down the firehose coming from VTs or the output to the Fleet.

Pags

N/A
pilot
so no sim instructors? and getting rid of reservists? am I reading this right? If that's true then there's gonna be a huge institutional change in the way things are done at south field. There's a lot of institutional inertia from the decades that training has pretty much stayed the same. Now change the aircraft, sims, syllabus, instructors… I hope it gets done right and I'd be interested to see how such a drastic change would take place. Would it be piecemeal like the T-34/T-6 transition or would they shut down the pipeline for a few months and do a total reset and restart?
I read the line you quoted as "keep our current manning the same, we're not going to use contractor pilots like the Army," but that might be wrong.

Also, keep in mind that this is just an industry day for an RFP. The RFP may have issues in how it's written and should not be read as guiding/changing policy. Part of responding to an RFP is communicating to clarify the requirements if they're not clearly written.

Either way this is done there will be a phase in period across several years as new assets become available and older assets are phased out. The deliveries wouldn't happen en masse so the HTs wouldn't shut down all at once. At the end of the day, it's just another program for someone to manage.

hscs

pilot
I still believe helo students need to to ramp higher quicker, and a single engine VFR helo plus sims for the hard parts (form, NVDs, boats) won't help them get there, even if it's "cost effective".
Not sure that I follow you on this one - why can't a single engine helo handle the hard parts of Form/NVD/Boat?

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I read the line you quoted as "keep our current manning the same, we're not going to use contractor pilots like the Army," but that might be wrong
Concur @Pags I believe thats the intent as well. Same goes for full autos in FAM's - "we teach them now, we consider the maneuver a critical building block to any future syllabus"

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Could totally see Bell offering a combination of the Bell 505 Jetranger X for VFR (FAM, HTAC, ONAV, etc) along with the twin Engine 429 for instrument and advanced tactics...

SynixMan

pilot
Contributor
@hscs I think a medium twin would approximate what we're train to do far better than a Single VFR. Any actual helicopter would do better than a sim for those. Night form, low light, in the mountains, to a DVE zone is probably one of the hardest things we do. A tough night behind the boat is probably close behind. Even the "pretty good" R/S sims, with linked mode, do a terrible job with those. I'm not suggesting we throw HT studs into that challenging environment, but they deserve the highest level of flight training we can give them.

The TH-57A was initially bought (1968) when there were far less options in the commercial space and single engine helos existed in the fleet. Less so in the late 80s for the B/C models, but the issues were still there. That's no longer the case. Every fleet airframe in the inventory is a heavy+ twin engine helicopter with a glass cockpit (save the -53s, one more engine, one less glass cockpit, soon to be replaced).

With respect to full practice autos, I don't get it. The bottom of a full practice auto in the -57 is a modified running landing. Any theoretical effort or money for that needs to be put into finding a viable way to get DLQs for HT students. Punting TCQ to the Tailhook FRSes would be inconceivable, but they did the equivalent to HT students and replaced it with a sim.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Could totally see Bell offering a combination of the Bell 505 Jetranger X for VFR (FAM, HTAC, ONAV, etc) along with the twin Engine 429 for instrument and advanced tactics...

I don't see the Navy spending money for 2 different new helicopter trainers, nor spending the training time on learning 2 different aircraft systems and time to train. I could see the Navy keeping the TH-57B's for full down auto training for just 2 or 3 flights so the SNA's don't need to learn systems - flown by a select group of IP's.

A better option would be full autos trained in a Level D simulator, saving money and time to be spent on a light twin, full glass, IFR trainer - hope they go with something that has a 4 axis autopilot. Yes, you can do NVG's and boat landings in the sim. If you have not seen a modern simulator, they are extremely good.

Expect business as usual for instructors. Active duty IP's supplemented by reservists and contractors handling simulators and maintenance. That system works - no need to change it.

TexasForever

pilot
If that's the case why not split the syllabus into Intermediate and Advanced stages. The Tilt students could do their T-6 top off at their primary squadron and skip intermediate because they don't need to know how to autorotate or deal with tailrotor issues. Intermediate for the helo guys could cover FAMS, Full Auto fun, helicopter specific tactics and whatever else they want. In advanced you would have to redo FAMS for a new platform, multi-engine considerations, and to get the tilt-rotor students up to speed on the magic of helicopters then continue with Goggles, Instruments, Low Levels, Forms, and then a comprehensive Tactics to finish off. This would also give you the added benefit of using the twin-engine instrument trainer sooner rather than later while you still utilize the -57B for an intermediate role. Cannibalize parts off the -57C now to prolong the -57B life just long enough to get the VFR trainer up and running. The problem now isn't the -57B, it's the -57C and it's spotty electronics, FAA waived instrument suite, low fuel capacity, and lack of the security blanket of having and extra engine.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Radical re-think of the syllabus is nice, and overdue, but without a demand signal from Commodores and CAGs, it just ain't gonna happen.

hscs

pilot
@hscs I think a medium twin would approximate what we're train to do far better than a Single VFR. Any actual helicopter would do better than a sim for those. Night form, low light, in the mountains, to a DVE zone is probably one of the hardest things we do. A tough night behind the boat is probably close behind. Even the "pretty good" R/S sims, with linked mode, do a terrible job with those. I'm not suggesting we throw HT studs into that challenging environment, but they deserve the highest level of flight training we can give them.

The TH-57A was initially bought (1968) when there were far less options in the commercial space and single engine helos existed in the fleet. Less so in the late 80s for the B/C models, but the issues were still there. That's no longer the case. Every fleet airframe in the inventory is a heavy+ twin engine helicopter with a glass cockpit (save the -53s, one more engine, one less glass cockpit, soon to be replaced).

With respect to full practice autos, I don't get it. The bottom of a full practice auto in the -57 is a modified running landing. Any theoretical effort or money for that needs to be put into finding a viable way to get DLQs for HT students. Punting TCQ to the Tailhook FRSes would be inconceivable, but they did the equivalent to HT students and replaced it with a sim.
So you haven't convinced me why we need two engines to do the basic tactical stuff in HTs. Glass cockpit, avionics - got it, but if FRS / fleet JOs were having issues on working on multi-engine a/c or there was a massive engine reliability issue in the trainer, I could buy the argument. If multi-engine doesn't satisfy any training objectives, then it just takes money out of the system that is needed elsewhere.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
So you haven't convinced me why we need two engines to do the basic tactical stuff in HTs. Glass cockpit, avionics - got it, but if FRS / fleet JOs were having issues on working on multi-engine a/c or there was a massive engine reliability issue in the trainer, I could buy the argument. If multi-engine doesn't satisfy any training objectives, then it just takes money out of the system that is needed elsewhere.
A lot of this is driven by the fact that many of the light twins are single pilot IFR certified with 3 or 4 axis autopilots already (EC-135, EC-145, Bell 429) but none of the singles are (Bell 407, EC-130, AW-119). Not that this could not be rectified quickly but it is the situation as of now.

SynixMan

pilot
Contributor

I think there's value in getting to something that does OEI procedures earlier in the training track.

How much value? Great question. Is it fundamental to flying a fleet helicopter? Yes. Essential to learn early? Maybe.