• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hot new helicopter/rotorcraft news

Pags

N/A
pilot
Wasn't there a 60R TR / drive failure on a delivery out to the west coast? Think there was video.

Years ago did the squadron A pro on the first block 2 60S when it showed up @ NZY - the acceptance crew flew from Stratford to NZY without a drop of hyd fluid in the utility hyd pump. Am shocked nothing happened.
The HAC of the 60R in question is/was a member of AW. @bert, you still around?

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
Utility hydraulic pump? Is that the same as the backup pump or is that the 4th pump running off the main mod for hoist/realing machine power? It's been a LONG time since flying a 60F and I never flew a 60R.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Utility hydraulic pump? Is that the same as the backup pump or is that the 4th pump running off the main mod for hoist/realing machine power? It's been a LONG time since flying a 60F and I never flew a 60R.

The later. It's on the STBD aft part of the transmission. It's on the 60S Block 2s and up to support the OAMCM gear.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
The HAC of the 60R in question is/was a member of AW. @bert, you still around?

Still around, but I comment less as the shelf-life of my experience dissipates.

@hscs, I heard the video was taken down, a quick search didn't find the video anymore, just local news reports. The aircraft is flying again (fixes got delayed multiple times due to sequestration, so it took way longer than it needed to): the west coast RAG kept it last I heard.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
NAVAIR hosting "Industry Day" at NASWF NDZ on April 1

RFP will be released this year to replace TH-57

NAVAIR not wedded to a single airframe - considering single engine VFR aircraft and dual engine advanced trainer (5,000-8000 lb medium twin) as part of syllabus - potential to do single aircraft or dual aircraft . Any aircraft selected for IFR training must be able to do Part 135 Single Pilot IFR.

Program now called "Advanced Helicopter Training System" - or "AHTS"

Repeated full auto capability to ground without any post maneuver inspection is hard and fast requirement

Training system to support 100% of flight training carried out by active duty officers and not contractors

High fidelity simulators part of the deal and will include capability to teach shipboard and formation operations in sim.

Training tracks to support both pure rotary wing and V-22 syllabus

Attachments

• AHTS_Industry_Day_and_Site_Visit_Procedures_for_9_Mar12.docx
    19.3 KB · Views: 13

ChuckMK23

pilot
Oh and the sim requirement is for "linked formation training" - two students in separate sims flying form in real time.

Not a tough requirement given that DCS A-10C on a PC has been doing this for years in high fidelity

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
The training syllabus in the Competition Library is for the current TH-57B/C training platform. Provide potential solutions that would optimize the syllabus with your company's proposed training system or approach.

So everything is up for grabs?

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
From a tester perspective, I'd love to get involved in this, but I heard that last time CNATRA just bought its TH-57 fleet without the help of NAVAIR. Can anyone confirm?

Doesn't much matter as I'll PCS well before any DT starts, but it would be fun to test the full auto and HV envelope (as long as it's not in a UH-72).

ChuckMK23

pilot
The RFP will be coming from NAVAIR and apparently the entire program will be managed from Pax so likely not this time...

Pags

N/A
pilot
So everything is up for grabs?
Makes sense since the respondents would be offering a training system made up of an air vehicle and a suite of sims. The split between aircraft and simulator training based on the simulator capabilities and fidelity could dictate changes to the syllabus.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
The RFP will be coming from NAVAIR and apparently the entire program will be managed from Pax so likely not this time...

So what you're saying is they'll start with something off-the-shelf, and make it heavier, slower, more expensive, and orange :cool:

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
I still believe helo students need to to ramp higher quicker, and a single engine VFR helo plus sims for the hard parts (form, NVDs, boats) won't help them get there, even if it's "cost effective".