• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hornet down in VA Beach

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
Interesting that they mention the crew might have gained a few seconds by raising the landing gear...with the right engine being the first to go, I doubt the gear would have come up at all, unless residual hydraulic pressure alone was enough to raise it.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Interesting that they mention the crew might have gained a few seconds by raising the landing gear...with the right engine being the first to go, I doubt the gear would have come up at all, unless residual hydraulic pressure alone was enough to raise it.

C'mon now, let's not start inserting actual aircraft system knowledges and common sense :)

Dmavs

NPQ unfortunately does not= "Navy Pilot Qualified"

Thought this video was pretty interesting. Toward the end of clip it shows one of the pilots being treated in someone's patio.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
I realize it's the era we live in, but I think this guy is a bit douchey for filming this with his own commentary inserted.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Probably not very smart and/or helpful to be driving around a semi-disaster scene while filming with your phone/video camera. He's clearly obstructing traffic and emergency services and making things more hazardous.

All out of morbid curiosity masked as concern for his mom (who he conveniently forgot the moment he got something more interesting to film).

Douche.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Probably not very smart and/or helpful to be driving around a semi-disaster scene while filming with your phone/video camera. He's clearly obstructing traffic and emergency services and making things more hazardous.

All out of morbid curiosity masked as concern for his mom (who he conveniently forgot the moment he got something more interesting to film).

Douche.

"The Brick"

The Brick
pilot
I hate to say it but they should have never closed NAS Cecil field......this plane would have landed in a bunch of pine trees vs. an apartment complex. They have said that this would happen at that airfield, and it will happen again until they solve the problem of the population around the airfield or close it and move it somewhere else...

707guy

"You can't make this shit up..."
It would have made more sense to move Oceana to Cecil - I've heard that the option has been discussed several times recently but can you imagine the amount of money that would be needed now to turn Cecil back in to an NAS?

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
It would have made more sense to move Oceana to Cecil - I've heard that the option has been discussed several times recently but can you imagine the amount of money that would be needed now to turn Cecil back in to an NAS?

In a perfect world, but the Norfolk/Va Beach area has been the primary home to the Atlantic Fleet since well before WWII. The synergy of having the air assets there w/ the ships would be lost if the air wings all moved to Cecil. JMHO.

707guy

"You can't make this shit up..."
I think it speaks volumes for the changes NAVAIR has gone through in the last 20 years. Most of your TACAIR at one base vs. when I was in CVW-8 in the late 80's we had two Tomcat squadrons and two Intruder squadrons out of Oceana, E-2's out of Norfolk, two F/A-18 squadrons and S-3s out of Cecil, HS out of Jax and our EA-6Bs from Whidbey.