• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hornet down in VA Beach

Pugs

Back from the range
None
In a perfect world, but the Norfolk/Va Beach area has been the primary home to the Atlantic Fleet since well before WWII. The synergy of having the air assets there w/ the ships would be lost if the air wings all moved to Cecil. JMHO.

None of that "synergy" on the West coast and it works fine. Closing Cecil was a bonehead move.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
They have said that this would happen at that airfield, and it will happen again until they solve the problem of the population around the airfield or close it and move it somewhere else...

They (the anti-Oceana element), have been hounding the Navy for years, to close/relocate the NAS. They indeed, predicted that this, and more similar accidents would occur. No matter that the NAS was there first, they zoned the surrounding property for heavy-duty housing development, they developed and no reversing that.:rolleyes:

Sooner or later (several more similar or worse accidents will occur?). When the "bough breaks", and someone has to relocate, you can be sure it won't be the home/apartment/business owners!

*NAS Moffett/NAS Alameda underwent samo samo pain as Oceana is now, and today they are nearly abandoned shells of once great Naval Air Stations.:(
BzB

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Don't want to get into what ifs and monday morning quarterbacking. But having looked at some of the news, not the actual report yet, I am left wondering if there are engine instruments in the back seat of the Delta bird. I am guessing there is. Will someone please confirm? Separately, again, just the facts, has a classic bug ever been FODed by a blown tire? Debate/comments not necessary. Just rolling it around in my head.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Yes, D models have an IFEI (sp?) in the rear.

Yeah there is almost nothing else, aside from the absurd e-brake handle which can be accidentally actuated by the most casual of backseaters..................but other than that, there is literally nothing to play with in the back. You could probably host a gymnastics show from back there and still not scare anyone.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Perhaps he's speaking from experience. What kind of "gymnastics" are you referring to? Never mind, I don't want to know.

BTW, my post timer says 01:38 for you. I'm guessing 04:38 East Coast? You're a fanatic!

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
This post has me laughing my ass off.

You tell me where you'd rather fly from & pull liberty: (a) Oceana/Va Beach or the piney woods of Cecil Field, or (b) Miramar/San Diego/LaJolla or NAS Lemoore & drinking in pastures? Giving away Miramar - a national asset - to Marine Air was the dumbest peace-time thing the Navy has ever done. Doing the same with Oceana would be a DS move of the same magnitude. JMHO, mind you. Guess I'm too old to appreciate the virtues of having nothing to do when you're not flying.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
You tell me where you'd rather fly from & pull liberty: (a) Oceana/Va Beach or the piney woods of Cecil Field, or (b) Miramar/San Diego/LaJolla or NAS Lemoore & drinking in pastures? Giving away Miramar - a national asset - to Marine Air was the dumbest peace-time thing the Navy has ever done. Doing the same with Oceana would be a DS move of the same magnitude. JMHO, mind you. Guess I'm too old to appreciate the virtues of having nothing to do when you're not flying.

As a guy that has been lucky enough to fly jets from both Miramar and Oceana, I agree wholeheartedly with all of the above.

phrogpilot73

My wife and I love it in Hampton Roads, and are currently planning to retire here...

Those who talk shit haven't been stationed here long enough...

And all you spoiled Navy fags have never had to spend time in Jacksonville, NC or New Bern, NC...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Perhaps he's speaking from experience. What kind of "gymnastics" are you referring to? Never mind, I don't want to know.

BTW, my post timer says 01:38 for you. I'm guessing 04:38 East Coast? You're a fanatic!
I'm traveling. All bets are off. :D

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
....Giving away Miramar - a national asset - to Marine Air was the dumbest peace-time thing the Navy has ever done. ...
Been everywhere, done everything, but....
Worth repeating:
"Giving away Miramar - a national asset - to Marine Air was the dumbest peace-time thing the Navy has ever done."
"Giving away Miramar - a national asset - to Marine Air was the dumbest peace-time thing the Navy has ever done."

But as a retiree, Marine or Navy, I still get to use their gym, exchange, gas station pharmacy, et. al. just 10 minutes away!​