• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hornet crash near Miramar:

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
Miramar F-18 Down

I've got CNN on in the background while working on one of my final papers and caught the story. Reports are that the pilot was able to eject but nothing further is currently known at this time.

MasterBates

Guys,

It's just hitting the news. Just a reminder for not posting priviliged info here.

FOX is saying the pilot ejected with no injuries.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
my new favorite quote (in reference to this incident): "Apperantly the pilot was the only one on the aircraft"... Other than the chance of a NFO there isn't really room for passangers...

Hurley

I've wondered about what ramifications are dealt to the pilot in a situation like this. Obviously, pilot versus machine error would dictate the severity of the punishment. But what would standard protocol be that determines how long the pilot must wait before hopping back into the saddle? Also, what would happen to him if he majorly screwed up? Anyone? Anyone?

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
I've wondered about what ramifications are dealt to the pilot in a situation like this. Obviously, pilot versus machine error would dictate the severity of the punishment. But what would standard protocol be that determines how long the pilot must wait before hopping back into the saddle? Also, what would happen to him if he majorly screwed up? Anyone? Anyone?

I am sure there will be an investigation, my (uneducated) guess would be that the pilot would be kept off the schedule until the investigation was concluded and then depending on the findings of course...

I am sure that the pilot will want some time to recover a little bit anyway before jumping back in...he may not have any serious injuries but I am sure he wouldn't mind a day off after that...

Hurley

I am sure there will be an investigation, my (uneducated) guess would be that the pilot would be kept off the schedule until the investigation was concluded and then depending on the findings of course...

I am sure that the pilot will want some time to recover a little bit anyway before jumping back in...he may not have any serious injuries but I am sure he wouldn't mind a day off after that...

Right, I was wondering what would happen if the pilot is at fault here, and is at the RAG, because that would suck to come so far and have one Fvck up boot you out. I'm sure that the Navy has too much money invested in him to not give him a second shot though.

I actually work right across the I-805 freeway that runs by Miramar, and where they described the plane going down is east of the runway. That would be on the base leg of the pattern, there's always a couple Hornets in the pattern performing touch and goes and I'll bet that's when and where **** hit the fan; I'm just glad the pilot had time to punch out since he's already so low. I'd speculate ....Edit by HAL Pilot: we don't speculate about accidents here on Airwarriors.... But what do I know, only that there's a lot of smoke out there right now, and hopefully that pilot will be able to get after it again real soon.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't know how it is these days, but back in the stone age a guy might jump right back into the saddle, even after a total hull loss. (Can't remember, is that a class 3 ?) Get yourself checked out by the corpsman, write a basic account and if the skipper thinks you haven't done anything too bone headed, you are right back on the sked. The investigation will may take weeks, can't keep a good man down that long. The C.O. owns the planes. Until an investigation reveals a major violation of SOP or fundamental problems with airmanship, followed by a negative FNAEB board, he can fly the guy as much or as little as he wants.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I don't know how it is these days, but back in the stone age a guy might jump right back into the saddle, even after a total hull loss. .....
Agreed .... I would have/could have been "back in the saddle" 48 hours after I shed an A-4.

But it took me two months of R&R by the swimming pool before I was ready to fly again. Broke an ankle ... :) ... had a great tan, however ...