• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hornet crash near Miramar:

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't know how it is these days, but back in the stone age a guy might jump right back into the saddle, even after a total hull loss. (Can't remember, is that a class 3 ?) Get yourself checked out by the corpman, write a basic account and if the skipper thinks you haven't done anything too bone headed, you are right back on the sked. The investigation will may take weeks, can't keep a good man down that long. The C.O. owns the planes. Until an investigation reveals a major violation of SOP or fundamental problems with airmanship, followed by a negative FNAEB board, he can fly the guy as much or as little as he wants.

These days a Class A mishap requires completion of the investigation and FNAEB recommendation prior to the aircrew flying again. It can take weeks or even months.

Brett

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
These days a Class A mishap requires completion of the investigation and FNAEB recommendation prior to the aircrew flying again. It can take weeks or even months.Brett

Wow. Guess that's a downside to the Navy's vastly improved safety record.

Back in the day, as wink says, guys used to quickly jump back in the saddle if healthy. But since aircraft back then fell out of the sky with much greater frequency, if everyone had to sit around awaiting the investigation and a FNAEP, half a squadron could be grounded at any given time. :D

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I knew two guys that jumped out of a F-14 over El Centro. Flat Spin out of a 1 v 1 was their story. They got picked up by the El Centro Huey within ten minutes. They got checked out by a corpsman at the ops shack and then flown right back to Miramar in the C-12. They went to the skippers office, told him what happened, C.O. asked if they could fly the next day, picked up their pay checks from the PN ( ya, before direct deposit), went to the club and had a couple beers bought for them ;) , came back to work the next day and jumped into the jet.

Good buddy left his Prowler in a smoking hole in the Olympics and the whole crew was flying two days later. Ya times were different.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Good buddy left his Prowler in a smoking hole in the Olympics and the whole crew was flying two days later. Ya times were different.

Was that the famous "are we in a spin" line from the CO in the backseat (only so many Prowlers that have gone down in the OLY area? There's a great document floating around called 48 ways to wreck a Prowler (or something to that effect). Details all the various mishaps. Some of them are comical in retrospect, others will haunt your dreams.

Brett

Sarge

CNAF COS
pilot
Contributor
These days a Class A mishap requires completion of the investigation and FNAEB recommendation prior to the aircrew flying again. It can take weeks or even months.

Brett

That's not always the case. If there are indications that the aircrew is obviously not at fault the CO can fly the aircrew prior to the completion of all the investigations...saw this in one of my previous squadrons a couple of years ago when the hook failed after the trap and the aircrew shelled out as the jet was too slow to fly away. The CO flew the crew 2 days later.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That's not always the case. If there are indications that the aircrew is obviously not at fault the CO can fly the aircrew prior to the completion of all the investigations...saw this in one of my previous squadrons a couple of years ago when the hook failed after the trap and the aircrew shelled out as the jet was too slow to fly away. The CO flew the crew 2 days later.

No. Unconfined engine failure of one took out hydraulics and fuel lines on the other. I believe it was around 1985.

Lawman

None
Maybe not by instruction, but in practice that's pretty much how it's done.

Brett

I wonder what percentage of actively flying aviators have had a Class A mishap in their career. Kinda be an interesting statistic to know your chances of someday being "that guy."

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I wonder what percentage of actively flying aviators have had a Class A mishap in their career. Kinda be an interesting statistic to know your chances of someday being "that guy."

I don't know what the actual numbers are, but folks say you have a 1 in 7 chance of ejecting during an average 20 year career in TACAIR.

Brett

MasterBates

Discounting last years 2 Class A's, we average a Class A here (as in HSL-East, not just the squadron) about every 2 years.

50-60 pilots per squadron, (RAG May have more) 4 fleet squadrons. Plus the FUBIJAR gang at -60. Conservativley 300 pilots in the wing, and 200 AW's.

Normal crew is 2 or 3, depending on mission. If you were to experience the same frequency of mishaps thru your career, you have about a 1 in 11 chance of being involved in a class A. realisticly, it is less, because you are not going to stay in the cockpit the whole time.

Unfortunatley, unlike the TACAIR community, out flight Class A's are usually fatal. CFIT on takeoff from the ship is the most common fatal mishap in the community according to our old ASO. CFIT on apprach to the ship is #2, but it is often survivable.

Pitchlock

pilot
Warning: Speculation about the cause of accidents will get you banned

I find this to be a very strange policy. Hanger flying mishaps is a very important aspect in preparing yourself for a potential emergency. I understand the need to keep privileged information private, but I dare you to show me a squadron whose pilots don't discuss potential reasons for a mishap. Its a good exersise.

Jim

NavyLonghorn

I find this to be a very strange policy. Hanger flying mishaps is a very important aspect in preparing yourself for a potential emergency. I understand the need to keep privileged information private, but I dare you to show me a squadron whose pilots don't discuss potential reasons for a mishap. Its a good exersise.

Jim

A good private excercise. The wardroom isn't generally open to 6 billion pairs of eyes and ears. People representing an organisation speculating about somthing in public, when family members, deceased, etc. may be involved, is a bad idea.