• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Homosexuals in Military

Status
Not open for further replies.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
What's wrong with serving your country..and being fabulousss at the same time?

But on a serious note...I agree with villanelle verbatim

ghettotoothfairy-17d.jpg

nugget61

pilot
Jesus Christ. You watch too much TV. Not every gay dude walks around in a pink skirt with a limp wrist. Many gay dudes out there (a la brokeback mountain) look like real "Men's men". I've know a few dudes (obviously not in the military) who I'd never guess were gay. It never came up for the longest time and they weren't even really trying to hide it.

If I could be clueless about dudes in the civilian world, I can't imagine it being very hard to hide in the military world.

I've been in situations where people are talking about christianity. I just STFU and they assume I'm Christian.

Shit, I hate sports but I pretend to like sports if an IP asks me if I saw "the game". That, to me, is probably a lot harder than pretending you like pussy. I have to know team names, scores or whatever. They just have to pretend to like pussy...

Well, I wish I watched more tv, but school owns my soul.
The only thing that I can relate to with the DODT policy is scouts - as long as the power that be think you're straight, they don't care - but all of your fellow scouters just know. I figured that if you spent 6 months with a person who slept 24 inches away from you, you'd know if they were straight or not.

AJB37

This thread is a bit disturbing because it brought up this ad...
imgad

I didn't want to click it and find out what a "Real Jock" was...:(

Edit: FTR, I have no problems with homosexuals being who they are. Because I'm not an active military and can't make any real contribution to this discussion this will be my only post in this thread.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
that's what you get for perusing barewarriors.com on "accident" :eek:...are you on the right site? this is a naval aviation community/forum. :D:D

flyerstud4

Its unfortunate that we do this as Americans, but we have done it since America was America. We single out a group or groups of people as being different and we alienate through fear and ignorance. Sailors and Marines just like us were having a similar discussion 70 years ago, when African Americans were first being intergrated into the armed forces. If you rewind even further, if it wasnt black people, it was italians, jews, or the irish. Its an unfortunate cycle the repeats itself time and time again.

Get past whatever makes that person different and judge thier character; that should be the only discrimination taking place. Everybody has assholes and everybody has thier all-stars.

Afterburner76

Life is Gouda
pilot
Its unfortunate that we do this as Americans, but we have done it since America was America. We single out a group or groups of people as being different and we alienate through fear and ignorance. Sailors and Marines just like us were having a similar discussion 70 years ago, when African Americans were first being intergrated into the armed forces. If you rewind even further, if it wasnt black people, it was italians, jews, or the irish. Its an unfortunate cycle the repeats itself time and time again.

Get past whatever makes that person different and judge thier character; that should be the only discrimination taking place. Everybody has assholes and everybody has thier all-stars.

+1... I was pretty much about to post the same point.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I've said this before. One of my roommates on a cruise was a pillowbiter. And that guy would just leer at you when you changed, and made it VERY uncomfortable to be in that stateroom.

I've seen pictures of you...I highly doubt anyone, man or woman, has ever leered at you :)

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
Personally I think the military needs to keep its current policy. I've noticed that gay folks tend to brag about or advertise the fact that they are in fact gay. This is not an insult to those who are and there are many that don't but for some reason few of them tend to think that they deserve some sort of special treatment because they are infact gay.

Welp, I was going to stay out of this thread but I'd like to say a little something.
I am an RA at a large state school. As such, we are required to attend certain intercultural/diversity meetings a few times each semester in case our residents fall under those groups and want to discuss those issues with us (and yes, a few guys on my floor were in fact gay/bisexual).

So, long story short, I have been to several of the LGBTG/A meetings here at MSU and have gleaned quite a bit of information that isn't immediately visible to the "general public" (read: we straight folk who aren't directly affected by these issues).

Do you think that the LGBTG/A population in America is so vocal about their sexuality because they want attention, or do you think that certain segments are vocal because like any other oppressed minority group in our country's history, they want people to know that they are in fact treated like second class citizens? Hypothetically-speaking, how would you feel if you were homosexual and you couldn't legally bind yourself with a partner and accrue the same benefits that a "normal" couple has? And I'm not talking about marriage, I'm talking specifically about the legal rights that come along with being in a civilian union (taxes, property rights, etc).

How would you feel if someone told you that you couldn't do job X/Y/Z or join the military *specifically* because of your sexual orientation?

How would you feel if you couldn't hold hands with your partner in public for fear of getting beaten up, getting spat on, getting death threats, getting run off the road, or having your property vandalized? (and yes, I have heard first-hand accounts of all of these things happening, and I have even *seen* some of them happen just on my campus).

Also, gays/lesbians have standards, too. I have no idea where most men get off thinking that "OH GOD IT'S A GAY, HE WANTS TO TOUCH ME!" because they might look at you and be disgusted.

Every single gay/lesbian person that I have ever talked to (and asked this question) has told me that for as long as they can remember - even from the time they were little kids - they knew they were different. As they got older, they realized they were gay, and eventually like everyone that goes through puberty with hormones raging, they acted on it. Regardless of what anybody says, from the words of homosexuals themselves, it is most definitely not a "choice" that you make. I doubt anybody would willfully choose and continue to live a lifestyle that would net them persecution, unequal rights, and death threats.

Does any of that sound like equality to you? Because to me, it simply comes off and rampant homophobia. As mentioned before, plenty of other countries allow homosexuals into the military with no negative repercussions.

Call me a caveman, but keep it at DADT unless they get their own berthing and heads.

MB, no disrespect, but...should we then give them their own drinking fountains, seats in the back of the bus, a segregated section of restaurants, and separate schools, too?

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
The reason that you don't have men and women in the same rooms is because it's bad to have two people live together when one (or both) could potentially be attracted to the other. I don't see why this is suddenly not a problem when it comes to gays, as if they are so much better at controlling human hormones than straight people. You put a gay guy (or woman) in close proximity to a bunch of men (or women), and you're asking for issues.

I know most people posting here are guys, so it doesn't matter to you as much, but think about how a woman would feel if a guy was sharing a bunk with her and got to watch her change and whatnot. It's uncomfortable, and for good reason. No one wants to deal with warding off someone to whom they're not attracted.

So what is the solution? Have gays live with women? But then what if some pervs decide to lie in order to get housed with females? It's a tough situation for sure. I don't think that gays or women should be barred from serving, but I do think that there are some real non-PC issues that need to be closely examined.

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
You think the spouse's club causes drama now? Wait til there are a few queens in the mix. They'll be running SERE refresher after every TDY.

"Who was with you at DeJavu!? Was it Bill or Mike!?" slap slap

"No more lies, we know when you're lying" slap slap

They'll debrief eachother looking for conflicting statements.

Hot bunking will be the least of your worries once the Velvet Mafia gets inside the Wive's Club.

All due respect again but..not every gay man is a limp-wristed drama queen. I have met gay men that would beat most grown men's asses. Bodybuilder types, guys who are 6'5" and could bench you*2 just for fun.

Zissou

Banned
You're right Mot. You do seem pretty macho. I should have considered that.:D

I was mostly joking you PC knee jerk drama queen.

I spent three years working in the fashion industry, Ive partied with more drag queens in one night at Liquid than you'll ever hope to meet so spare me the "I'm so enlightened it hurts to share the Earth with you" crap.

MasterBates

mothballie said:
MB, no disrespect, but...should we then give them their own drinking fountains, seats in the back of the bus, a segregated section of restaurants, and separate schools, too?

There is a night and day difference betwen sharing a table at lunch, or a water fountain with someone and having to sleep 2 feet from them every night for 6-12 months. And having to undress in front of them.

Save me the veiled "your're racist/homophobic" drivel. I have been there an done that. I doubt you have. Not in that confined quarters, and not for that long.

Status
Not open for further replies.