• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hollywood Subs

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Except they protrayed sonar like radar, with little blips on the screen and eveyrthing. Red October at least showed the waterfall displays.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
My grade is from Civil Air Patrol. I am currently a C/Chief Master Sergeant, and only a short while from C/2nd Lt. At the time of my little story, I was a C/Master Sergeant. Hope that answers your question.

Lawman

None
Fly Navy said:
Except they protrayed sonar like radar, with little blips on the screen and eveyrthing. Red October at least showed the waterfall displays.

Yeah but they "sweep" instead of the constant flow of a real waterfall display. So they kinda fudged it, but still closer though.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Lawman said:
Yeah but they "sweep" instead of the constant flow of a real waterfall display. So they kinda fudged it, but still closer though.
Sounds more like an active display than passive.

Brett

Lawman

None
Brett327 said:
Sounds more like an active display than passive.

Brett

It was more that they didnt want to put the time and effort in to make it actually look perfect. You'll see the lines of a standard waterfall display, but instead of constantly and evenly flowing from the top of the screen down, the screen updates inches at a time.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Oh no, you definitely see what looks like a planimetric radar display, with little blips the shape of the target on the display. As though they are looking at radar. I remember this scene very clearly. I laughed my butt off.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
AllAmerican75 said:
My grade is from Civil Air Patrol. I am currently a C/Chief Master Sergeant, and only a short while from C/2nd Lt. At the time of my little story, I was a C/Master Sergeant. Hope that answers your question.

Now that is funny, I dont mean to poke fun well a bit anyway but do you actually use ranks in civil air patrol? Isnt the CO like someone's mom or something?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wankertank said:
Also the amount of space in submarines in movies is humongous, in Hunt for Red October the amount of space in the Octobers control room is big enough to fit an orchestra in. but hey...the cameras add a couple hundred pounds. =)

The real Typhoons had small pools on them. No sh!t.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brett327 said:
Right next to the bowling alley - just like the CVN.

Brett

I've seen pictures. It was smaller than a hottub haha.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1324768/posts

The Typhoon is among the world's most unique weapons systems. Its size earned her a page in the Guinness Book of Records and has a multi-hull design. The outer hull, covered by sonar signal-absorbent coating, houses five pressure hulls with a sauna, a swimming pool, a gym and a smoking lounge. No other submarine in the world can boast that. The space between the two main pressure hulls houses 20 silos for the world-largest RSM-52 intercontinental ballistic missiles each mounting 10 multiple individually targeted reentry vehicle (MIRV) warheads.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
I've seen pictures. It was smaller than a hottub haha.

That is exactly what is needed in a cramped ship full of men, lets all get in the hot tub that wont be too gay. No wonder they lost the cold war

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
skidkid said:
That is exactly what is needed in a cramped ship full of men, lets all get in the hot tub that wont be too gay. No wonder they lost the cold war

anim_lol.gif

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
When I spend a month on a fast attack, we (the naive middies), asked how accurate movies like Crimson Tide and Red October were. The guys I met, mostly sonar dudes, said hands down Crimson Tide was way more accurate as far as procedures go. The sonar station seemed fairly accurate in the movie, except for the SCREENS. It's funny how sub movies portray sonar as being like radar! Active, maybe, but definitely not passive. Passive sonar should be a waterfall display like someone else mentioned. They way they called out contacts (like the Akula) in the movie is right on.

Con, Sonar, I have new sumberged sonar contact....yadda yadda.

After being on both a fast attack and SSBN, the movies sets look NOTHING like the real thing! The Dallas in Red October had so much space! But maybe I just was in the wrong part of the sub...

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
That's just so funny. Everyone on the boomer I was on for CORTRAMID couldn't stand Crimson Tide and loved Red October. Then again, Red October didn't portray a boomer... well, a US one at least.