• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hobbies During Primary

LPO Beck

GONNA MAKE CHIEF
I'm just curious about other's views on how much time one might have during Primary to be active in their hobbies? It seems like one of those things that they would encourage in an in-brief, but when it comes down to it you simply don't have the time. If not in Primary, what about later down the road - Advanced/FRS?

Since I obviously didn't come up with this question out of thin air, I will explain. I'm looking into some off-road motorcycle/trail-riding type stuff and don't want to get invested financially only to find that I have no time to take the bike out. I think my expectations are realistic - maybe get out and ride twice a month.

Thanks.

croakerfish

pilot
It seems like one of those things that they would encourage in an in-brief, but when it comes down to it you simply don't have the time.
Thanks.

Pretty much this. You may end up with some time due to delays in training and cancellation but you never know what you're doing tomorrow until late afternoon, so planning for anything other than the weekend is pretty much off the table.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I'm just curious about other's views on how much time one might have during Primary to be active in their hobbies? It seems like one of those things that they would encourage in an in-brief, but when it comes down to it you simply don't have the time. If not in Primary, what about later down the road - Advanced/FRS?

Since I obviously didn't come up with this question out of thin air, I will explain. I'm looking into some off-road motorcycle/trail-riding type stuff and don't want to get invested financially only to find that I have no time to take the bike out. I think my expectations are realistic - maybe get out and ride twice a month.

Thanks.

You'll have plenty of time for activities, hookers and blow, and even motorcycling.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 2

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor

Thanks.
pssh...

Ain-t-Nobody-Got-Time-Fo-Dat-sweet-brown-31241125-480-330.jpg

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
I bought a motorcycle and started working on it, so there's that option. You'll be in sunny locales so it's the perfect place to ride. Fishing and hunting are big in Corpus and I even had a friend take up kite surfing. There's a lot you can do, but I recommend getting settled in first and seeing how things work before jumping into anything too big or time consuming.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I started windsurfing during advanced in Kingsville. You'll have time to do other stuff.

LPO Beck

GONNA MAKE CHIEF
Thanks guys. I would be doing all of my riding on weekends, as most of the tracks are a few hours away. I'm still pretty fresh out of API so I'm used to the ultra high pressure firehose. Definitely didn't have no time fo' dat in API. +1 for fishing and hunting. I think I see a little of this in my future...

z640-b68b-r3-03-620x310.jpg

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Thanks guys. I would be doing all of my riding on weekends, as most of the tracks are a few hours away. I'm still pretty fresh out of API so I'm used to the ultra high pressure firehose. Definitely didn't have no time fo' dat in API. +1 for fishing and hunting. I think I see a little of this in my future...

Generally, the firehose will slow down after your first month-ish in Primary and you'll get a little more free time. Then it will pick back up again during RIs and then slow down again in RIs. Wash and repeat for Advanced and the RAG.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Like others have said, it comes and goes in waves. I remember weeks in meridian of not doing much, and then weeks of flying constantly. Generally, you are going to be more busy studying up front during a phase of training than you are towards the end where you just need to do it in the airplane. There are also plenty of down periods between stages of flight school. You can read between the lines, but I'd say a serious hobby that you really have to invest a lot of time in consistently is probably out. A more manageable part time hobby (hobbies) would be more practical. Something that you can put down for a few weeks/months when you need to. And I will probably sound like the fun police here, but put some thought into your physical health vs your desire to ride competitively. If you get f'd up, I wouldn't count on keeping your job......at least depending on how bad or debilitating it is.

LPO Beck

GONNA MAKE CHIEF
And I will probably sound like the fun police here

No, not really. It's definitely a concern. I don't plan on racing, but that only makes it slightly safer (or less dangerous). I have an adequate portion of my budget set aside for protective gear. It seems like anything fun requires a bit of risk.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No, not really. It's definitely a concern. I don't plan on racing, but that only makes it slightly safer (or less dangerous). I have an adequate portion of my budget set aside for protective gear. It seems like anything fun requires a bit of risk.

Most squadrons, to including training squadrons, have a robust ground safety program. You'll need to file an ORM chit/sheet through the CoC to ensure they know you've ORMd your desired possibly dangerous activities. I know it sounds like a PITA, but it will give the saftey office an opportunity in "counsel" you on the possibilities of outcomes should you get hurt during training.

On a side note, I had a fellow RAG mate break his femur doing stunt parachuting. He was med down for 6 months and was the SIM bitch. He was so ready to get back into the syllabus and complete the RAG when his time was up.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
Most squadrons, to including training squadrons, have a robust ground safety program. You'll need to file an ORM chit/sheet through the CoC to ensure they know you've ORMd your desired possibly dangerous activities. I know it sounds like a PITA, but it will give the saftey office an opportunity in "counsel" you on the possibilities of outcomes should you get hurt during training.

On a side note, I had a fellow RAG mate break his femur doing stunt parachuting. He was med down for 6 months and was the SIM bitch. He was so ready to get back into the syllabus and complete the RAG when his time was up.
Meanwhile the countdown to his MSR was slowly ticking away...sounds like that cloud may have had a silver lining. Excelsior!

LPO Beck

GONNA MAKE CHIEF
You'll need to file an ORM chit/sheet through the CoC to ensure they know you've ORMd your desired possibly dangerous activities.

My squadron does this as well. I've already turned a few in for snorkeling, PWC, and even riding roller coasters. Good lookin' out though.

LPO Beck

GONNA MAKE CHIEF
And while I did just wake up from a little afternoon snooze, it took me a solid 15 seconds to realize you both have the same user name... or at least it appeared that way in my hazy eyed stuper.