• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hmm, helos are more involved in combat?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It is honestly sad how far behind RW is compared to FW and the disparity in investment. We can't get anything for CFIT, moving maps, terrain following radar, decent weapons, etc. Hell, fighters in WW2 had lead computing gunsights, and now you can look at a target over your shoulder with JHMCS and shoot it, but helos are still doing grease pencils and crappy nvd HUDS. Dont even get started on the actual disparity between the weapon systems. Anyone who knows about the Torp fiasco knows what I mean. If you gave Hornet guys the same weapon capabilities or engagement parameters/restrictions that we have, they would laugh at you. And of course when it comes to flight hours and fuel money, everyone wants to cut helo OPTAR first. Yet we burn in a year what an airwing dumps in a day of flight ops....

Unfortunately helos just arent sexy enough and dont have enough weight at the Flag level, so I dont see it changing anytime soon.
I suspect that might have a lot to do with the fact that helos haven't employed a whole lot of weapons in anger over the years. I understand the reasons, but that's probably why there arent' a lot of dollars put into your weapons programs.

MasterBates

By FW standards, the E-2C is archaic.. 1960s era avionics at best (save the couple with Garmin GNS-530s in the dash) and it's still light years ahead of any USN helo I ever flew..

Sure, the glass in the S & R models is nice looking.. But as far as nav equipment.. Still no ILS in the B or R AFAIK.

phrogpilot73

I suspect that might have a lot to do with the fact that helos haven't employed a whole lot of weapons in anger over the years. I understand the reasons, but that's probably why there arent' a lot of dollars put into your weapons programs.
The arrogance of a carrier aviator.

I'd be willing to bet my next paycheck that helos have employed weapons in anger more often than your carrier brethren. I could probably find a clip from the carrier documentary including the douche whining about how he didn't drop shit.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream

I'd be willing to bet my next paycheck that helos have employed weapons in anger more often than your carrier brethren. I could probably find a clip from the carrier documentary including the douche whining about how he didn't drop shit.

I think Brett was speaking about the navy choppers.

MasterBates

I've been in a position to employ with a Navy 60B, and was told to not launch and wait on a Hornet.

Hornet was there 10 minutes later and dropped a 500# LGB. Because our Hellfire would have been "too much weapon"

I shit you not. It doesn't help that a lot of the armed helos are under TACON of retards. I mean SWO TAOs.

phrogpilot73

No. That was the night the whole Gulf went 0/0 and we had to do CCAs back to the boat. Nowhere else to go, no tanker, and that's where the food was.

Scariest thing I ever did.
And yet, there was probably still a helo in the D... ;)
I think Brett was speaking about the navy choppers.
That makes more sense. Probably should have thought of that before I came off the top rope.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Pheel the Phrog Burn, Bitches! :D

But yea, you're still welcome at my house to enjoy the boat/beach when you get here...

Only if you have some of your home brew on tap.

Back on topic, bitches!! Please tell us more about the great conspiracy to subordinate the chopper combat power by the Hornet mafia.

That never gets old.

phrogpilot73

Only if you have some of your home brew on tap.
I will - and if it makes you feel even better, I'll finally pull out the favor from MB and have him order the ingredients for the Bitter JO that will be on tap. Hell, he's already offered to do fixer-upper tasks around the house for Bitter JO. It must be a good recipe!

Back on topic, bitches!! Please tell us more about the great conspiracy to subordinate the chopper combat power by the Hornet mafia.

That never gets old.
Chopper command has never been threatened by Hornet Mafia... Harriers? That's another story... ;)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Settle down, Beavis. I'm talking about HS and HSL communities, per the quote.