• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hit 'n Run Caution

FlyinRock

It could happen anywhere but it surprised me with how well choreographed it was.
Kampala, Uganda, downtown going into the largest bookstore in town. My host stepped to the door and opened it, I motioned for him to enter and he did, another patron coming out and I held the door for him. Appeared to be a young Israeli. As he stepped down from the one step, I felt what seemed like someone stuffing something down the neck of my shirt. I kind of flinched and turned to see what/who/etc and saw a young black man scrambling as he slipped while running away. I felt the back of my neck in case he stuck something chemical down my back and realized my gold chain was gone! He was already halfway across 4 lanes of heavy traffic and getting into high gear with his blocker partner right behind.
Everyone was stunned at how fast it happened and were apologizing to me when they realized I had just been robbed.
I was pissed because it held a gold Mizpah my wife gave me on our wedding day and it had never come off my neck. The young Israeli stepped out on the sidewalk and picked up the heavy gold mizpah that had fallen off the broken chain and handed it to me. Talk about lucky? The thieves were long gone with a broken gold chain that was worth maybe $100. The mizpah priceless
I was pissed at being so unaware of my surroundings but in reflection can see how it happened so easily. They obviously targeted the bookstore as being a place where affluent people went and an older white guy was a good target. I don't think they saw the chain and were just taking a chance. Damned good thing I wasn't wearing the gold chain that I made years ago. You could pull a car with it! It would never break from a snatch and run and I'd have been able to do some aikido shit on him. (well I like to think so...)
Just a heads up for your guys on liberty. This was a new one on me so forewarned is forewarned.....
Semper Fi
Rocky

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
Man that sucks. A similar thing happened to my brother when he was in the Bombay Airport in India. He was walking through the terminal with a camera in his hand and like a 12 year old boy came running from behind and snatched his camera and took off. My brother didn't want to be the 26 year old white guy chasing an Indian kid, so he let him go. But yes, you have to be careful.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
New Years Eve 1994, I was in Las Palmas, Canary Islands taking some time off from my UN mission in the Western Sahara Desert. I was walking down the street with another USN guy and a drunk Spaniard tripped into me. I picked him up off the ground, brushed him off and sent him on his way. 5 minutes later in the bar as I was reaching to pay for the beers I'd just ordered, I discovered my wallet was gone....

Luckily we'd met up with a bunch of the Aussie soldiers from the mission and they had sympathy and paid for my night of boozing.

In the wee hours of the morning, we were walking back to the hotel and I saw him. "that's the SOB that robbed me" I yelled. 15 drunk Aussie infantry soldiers gave chase, caught the sucker and promptly began kicking the shit out of him. A local cop shows up, breaks up the fight and ask for IDs. We all show our passport with our UN diplomatic immunity and he gets really friendly. He searches the pickpocket and finds a bunch of wallets including mine. The cop gives me back my wallet with all my IDs, credit cards, etc and ask how much cash I had in the wallet. (The pickpocket had rolled it all together from all the wallets.) I told him $400 and he peeled off $800 for "my troubles". He sticks the rest in his pocket (at least another $1000) and says he'll turn in the wallets at the station. He starts walking away and we ask "what about this fucker?" "He's yours - just don't kill him".

I gave the Aussies the extra $400 to buy more beer and my USN buddy and I walked away. Last I saw, they were playing catch with the pickpocket. The next night, they told me they eventually let him go - bruised, battered but alive.

All in all, an enjoyable evening.

BourneID

pilot
New Years Eve 1994, I was in Las Palmas, Canary Islands taking some time off from my UN mission in the Western Sahara Desert. I was walking down the street with another USN guy and a drunk Spaniard tripped into me. I picked him up off the ground, brushed him off and sent him on his way. 5 minutes later in the bar as I was reaching to pay for the beers I'd just ordered, I discovered my wallet was gone....

Luckily we'd met up with a bunch of the Aussie soldiers from the mission and they had sympathy and paid for my night of boozing.

In the wee hours of the morning, we were walking back to the hotel and I saw him. "that's the SOB that robbed me" I yelled. 15 drunk Aussie infantry soldiers gave chase, caught the sucker and promptly began kicking the shit out of him. A local cop shows up, breaks up the fight and ask for IDs. We all show our passport with our UN diplomatic immunity and he gets really friendly. He searches the pickpocket and finds a bunch of wallets including mine. The cop gives me back my wallet with all my IDs, credit cards, etc and ask how much cash I had in the wallet. (The pickpocket had rolled it all together from all the wallets.) I told him $400 and he peeled off $800 for "my troubles". He sticks the rest in his pocket (at least another $1000) and says he'll turn in the wallets at the station. He starts walking away and we ask "what about this fucker?" "He's yours - just don't kill him".

I gave the Aussies the extra $400 to buy more beer and my USN buddy and I walked away. Last I saw, they were playing catch with the pickpocket. The next night, they told me they eventually let him go - bruised, battered but alive.

HAL, all in all, one of the best stories I have heard.

Max_Power

Prefers Skippy
Contributor

Pretty cool you got your wallet and your cash back. I was in Cabo during spring break a couple years ago and I saw so many dumb college kids (myself being just a drunk college kid) get robbed blind. The sad thing was, some of the time the cops were the ones taking the money/valuables and not the thieves. A fratbro of mine got taken for $300. Kind of his own fault for bring that much money out but still sucks nonetheless.

I think the mistake many Americans make when travelling abroad is letting their guard down. Another friend of mine was mugged in broad daylight while studying abroad. It goes without saying to becareful out there, but more importantly be smart!

Bevo16

pilot
I got a nice money clip a few years ago that will hold an ID+credit card+a nice wad of multi-color drinking chits. It's a lot less bulky than a wallet and crooks are a lot less apt to reach into your front pocket to try an get your cash.

MasterBates

I've always carried my bifold or money clip in my front pocket for 2 reasons..

Doesn't put my back out of whack while driving.

Pickpockets

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
I got a nice money clip a few years ago that will hold an ID+credit card+a nice wad of multi-color drinking chits. It's a lot less bulky than a wallet
+1 My Smart Money Clip has been going strong for 5 years and I never get Costanza Wallet anymore.

and crooks are a lot less apt to reach into your front pocket to try an get your cash.

And when they do, well, you at least usually get a reach around out of the deal.

Flugelman

Contributor
A4s, Cosmania, et al can probably tell you the rules for libs in Olongapo. NEVER wear a watch out the gate, take only what you intend to spend, and, yes, keep it in yer front pocket...:)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
A4s, Cosmania, et al can probably tell you the rules for libs in Olongapo. NEVER wear a watch out the gate, take only what you intend to spend, and, yes, keep it in yer front pocket...:)
Roger that; I've been doin' the 'LIBERTY' thing (NAVY & airlines & tourist) for ... Jesus, I can't believe it; something like 42+ years now .... and, based on experience and 'expert advice' from others who paved the way for me ... I NEVER take my wallet 'outside the gate' .... I take a couple hundred Yankee $$$ w/ me (today's dollars) ... *EDIT* OR THE APPROPRIATE LOCAL EQUIVALENT .... on a money clip in the front pocket w/ mebbe one ATM-capable card in the middle of the $$$ (depends on where I am) ... and a bullet-proof 'get out of jail free' ID card ....

I also fly /w a ROLEX and go on 'LIB's' w/ a rubber watch. That's also based on personal experience.

AND .... a + LIB's attitude ... :D