• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hit 'n Run Caution

Clux4

Banned
From friends of mine who went to Kenya a few years back. They decided to travel to a nearby village by public transport for site-seeing. They spent the day at the village and were returning for the evening when half way through their journey, two of the passengers held the bus to ransom. They collected money and trinkets from the other passengers at gun point. When all was said and done, they left with the bus and everyone was stranded. Luckily for them, there was another bus a few miles back and it took them back to the city.

I just don't travel with expensive items "period". Hotel break-ins are also pretty common in some places. I am sure I can do without my fancy wristwatches while I am gone.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
From friends of mine who went to Kenya a few years back.....
Wow ... Kenya used to be one of the 'safest' places (always a relative term) to go @ 35 years ago ... just stay away from de' Mau-Mau's .... AND the 'golden lobsters' (inside joke) ... and stick w/ the bar @ the Nyali Beach Hotel and their SUPERIOR gin & tonic made w/ Tanqueray & Schwepps (INDIAN) tonic water .... :) .... so, so, so very smoooooooooooooooth .... you can do them all day and just get a mild 'buzz'.

And I've been down some pretty 'mean streets' in Mombasa :).... witness:

dsc02029hez.jpg

photo by A4sForever

FlyinRock

I'm glad to see the post bring out so many replies! I'll be in Nairobi and Arusha next week. Plan to stay at the Safari Club while I chat with the UN/ICAO HQ people.
I've always carried my money and valuables in front pockets so it isn't an easy target. That chain snatch was a new one on me. Got a lot of stories about guys losing their watches in foreign ports like San Francisco, Hong Kong, Seoul, New York, Mobile .......
Semper Fi
Rocky

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
Got a lot of stories about guys losing their watches in foreign ports like San Francisco

I'm not going to point out that San Francisco isn't a foreign port, because I know you didn't really mean that. :icon_tong If all a guy loses in San Francisco is his watch, he should consider himself lucky.:D