• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hiking/Backpacking Boots?

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
I'm getting into backpacking more instead of just day-hiking. So far my Belleville desert boots have held up pretty well for well most any situation while carrying a pack since that's part of what they were designed for.

My question is to those of you who are avid backpackers/hikers that use another boot/shoe.

Do you think it's worth it to go purchase a dedicated hiking boot or continue using my desert boots which tend to be on the heavier side but offer a solution that doesn't involve spending 100+ dollars.

I'm hoping someone will have some experience with this. Thanks ahead of time.

Zissou

Banned
I dont know what hiking means to you? Summiting Mt. Whitney or Mt. Rainer?

I wear Aku Extreme GTX for 0 degree C snowy mountain area, Asolo FSN 95 GTX for mountain area with above freezing temps in the day, and Merrell Phasher Rush's in mostly flat terrain especially with hot temps.

exo

I've been hiking through the Grand Canyon, through the northern parts of Montana, parts of Georgia and all around New England in all 4 seasons. Trips usually averaging anywhere form 15-45 miles. I've worn the same boots for all of them and I'm working on my fourth pair. Red Wings Hiking Boots 8667. You can check them out below:

http://workingperson.com/products/2...erican_Made_Waterproof_Hiking_Boots_8667.html

Once broken in, these are absolutely the best boots I've ever worn.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
vasque sundowners. I've had them for more than 10 years. Incredible boots.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
I've got the North Face light weight Vindicator GTX....

I've done 14 miles in them in the Shenendoahs.... I think as long as you have the smart wool socks,
you're in great shape.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
I have a pair of Rocky Foot Hoods that I've hiked with all over the east coast. Worn for everything from 3 milers with the kiddos, to the AT's "4 State Challenge". They're lighter than most boots, have tons of support and padding, and the soles are like sneakers. Most comfortable boots I've ever owned. Like pillows on your feet.

Five years and I can't count the miles on them, and they're still going strong.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Montrail Torre GTX. I've had them for about 5 years now and they are as comfortable as my tennis shoes and almost as light. Up and down Whitney and Shasta no problem, plus tons of various shorter trails in the Cascades and around San Diego.

So far only had to replace the laces, and that was actually just last week!

lmnop

Asolo FSN 95 GTX for mountain area with above freezing temps in the day

X2

These are my favorite light hikers, enough so that I bought a second pair after my first ones gave up the ghost. For heavier duty backpacking I have a pair of Asolo 520s, which are full leather and quite a bit stiffer than the FSN 95s. If you're looking for a hardshell mountaineering boot that does well at a lower price point than some others, check out the Scarpa Invernos...other than a squeak that can get a tad annoying, I really like them. I also can't say enough about getting a good pair of insoles.

How late in the spring you're hitting the Sierras, as well as elevation and what type of route you're doing are big variables that will guide your boot selection.

jdw006

Adidas Samba indoor soccer shoes. I got a used pair of those years ago, and they went through Venture Boy Scout treks in Hawaii, Alaska, 50+ miler in west Texas, many many other trips. Lightweight and bulletproof. Maybe not the best if you need a ton of ankle support, but they're incredible.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Sambas? Really?? Those would be terrible hiking boots...

I mean, if you already had a pair and didn't want to spend any money, go nuts, you can make anything work if you have to.

But if you are going to go out and spend the money anyway, why would you not get something that was properly suited to the task at hand? Sambas don't have good cushioning, they don't have good ankle support, they have poor construction (from a durability standpoint) and they are not compatible with crampons should the OP intend to hike at all in the mountains.
--
Break, Break

Lazers: What is making you not want to use your military style boots anymore? I just ask because I have put quite a bit of miles on mine, and have yet to have a problem with them. It sounds like you already have a pair, and IMHO, unless you have a reason to change, I would spend the money on ice axe/crampons/beer.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
Sambas? Really?? Those would be terrible hiking boots...

I mean, if you already had a pair and didn't want to spend any money, go nuts, you can make anything work if you have to.

But if you are going to go out and spend the money anyway, why would you not get something that was properly suited to the task at hand? Sambas don't have good cushioning, they don't have good ankle support, they have poor construction (from a durability standpoint) and they are not compatible with crampons should the OP intend to hike at all in the mountains.
--
Break, Break

Lazers: What is making you not want to use your military style boots anymore? I just ask because I have put quite a bit of miles on mine, and have yet to have a problem with them. It sounds like you already have a pair, and IMHO, unless you have a reason to change, I would spend the money on ice axe/crampons/beer.

Yea I already have a pair. They work great with the superfeet greens that I have. I'm just wondering if hiking boots on the open market are better than those. I currently have a pair of these that are well broken in.
http://www.bellevilleshoe.com/product.php?current_product=19
They're currently being used as my workboot. I wear pretty good socks with them too so I don't have a huge issue with pain or blisters.

I'm just wondering if civ hiking boots are worth buying or if I'd be more than fine sticking with what I got. Obviously if I get into backpacking a lot more I'll invest in a good solid boot. But my boots lack any real waterproofing and are not light.

If you think they're more than sufficient I'll keep the money in my wallet.

lmnop

http://www.bellevilleshoe.com/product.php?current_product=19
They're currently being used as my workboot. I wear pretty good socks with them too so I don't have a huge issue with pain or blisters.

I'm just wondering if civ hiking boots are worth buying or if I'd be more than fine sticking with what I got. Obviously if I get into backpacking a lot more I'll invest in a good solid boot. But my boots lack any real waterproofing and are not light.

If you think they're more than sufficient I'll keep the money in my wallet.

I definitely wouldn't go with those in the Sierras in March. Snowfall is still quite common into April, and snow on the ground into May isn't unusual either. Being on a thru hike or a long loop with wet, frozen feet is not a good thing. Of all the gear that you get, boots are probably the most important item and one that you definitely don't want to skimp on.