• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Highwater FITREP Burden

Treetop Flyer

pilot
You’re a dishonest piece of shit, whom nobody should hire, ever. How dare you use your military status to fuck over employers. Oh, wait… are you just trolling again? It’s hard to tell sometimes.
ea6bflyr better come lock this thread, the level of discourse has gone downhill. Or you could delete this mod’s attack but no mods gave a shit the last time.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Just to keep the waters clear here with reference to GS employment. I am a GS with supervisory dutues and I can see in your EOPF if you are a reservist or even if you served in the military and were discharged - even if you never told me. Of course I have zero visibility when I hire (and I prefer to hire reservists because they come back from periods of AT kind of motivated) but a failure to disclose your reserve status could be cause for dismissal if discovered in the first year. On the other side of that...if a reservist who worked for me reported I had an anti-reserve stance (and made that clear in conversation) then I would rapidly find myself dancng in front of my boss quite fast. Also, if you are interested in GS why wouldn't you claim military status? It helps you rise up the hiring cert.

In the civilian world I can only speak to academia. There I could see some department associates being put off by it (and I can honestly say my military service did keep me out of one academic job) but for the most part people just don't care. Those who do are either lazy, jealous (maybe of the extra pay) or the kind of shit bosses that hate any law that doesn't allow them to lord over you.

Mos

None
Don’t even tell the hiring managers you’re a reservist.

They don’t need to know.
Your bad experience with employers is not universal and you shouldn't make blanket prescriptions like this. Some employers are reserve friendly and others are not. Handle accordingly.
There’s a few positions that are exempt and you’re not allowed to hold reserve membership in. And if you’re in those positions you’re supposed to move to USNR S1 status because you’re mob could be detrimental to public safety or national security.

Often times individuals keep drilling and if mobilized they’ll get letters from their employers saying they can’t be mobilized and CNR will cancel their mob.
What exactly is the problem here? If the government says a certain position is exempt from the rules, why would a reserve member get into that position and then expect the rules to apply?

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
In the civilian world I can only speak to academia. There I could see some department associates being put off by it (and I can honestly say my military service did keep me out of one academic job) but for the most part people just don't care. Those who do are either lazy, jealous (maybe of the extra pay) or the kind of shit bosses that hate any law that doesn't allow them to lord over you.

Sidebar, and thought this is a funny anecdote to lighten the mood, but my Plebe year at USNA my roommate got an email from his English teacher: "oh sweet, class is cancelled today. Oh... wait, it's cancelled the rest of the semester! I have one assignment left!" He got the last 3 or 4 weeks off because his English Professor was a reservist who got super short notice orders. He had one last assignment that counted as a final, it was graded, and voila, no more English class the rest of the semester!

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Sidebar, and thought this is a funny anecdote to lighten the mood, but my Plebe year at USNA my roommate got an email from his English teacher: "oh sweet, class is cancelled today. Oh... wait, it's cancelled the rest of the semester! I have one assignment left!" He got the last 3 or 4 weeks off because his English Professor was a reservist who got super short notice orders. He had one last assignment that counted as a final, it was graded, and voila, no more English class the rest of the semester!
Best exampe of the "reserve effect" ever!

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
@ea6bflyr better come lock this thread, the level of discourse has gone downhill. Or you could delete this mod’s attack but no mods gave a shit the last time.
I've been reporting these personal attacks by super moderator Brett that are against the TOS but that has had no effect. In fact,
Brett sent me a PM saying the mods are laughing at the reports.

Brett thinks he has immunity from all the rules that apply to the rest of us. He should be removed from being a moderator.

SELRES_AMDO

Of course I have zero visibility when I hire (and I prefer to hire reservists because they come back from periods of AT kind of motivated) but a failure to disclose your reserve status could be cause for dismissal if discovered in the first year.
Where did you get that idea? You absolutely cannot fire someone because they didn't disclose their reserve status.

I've actually dismissed people in their first year of GS service. It is much easier but there is still paperwork involved. You could not use reserve status as a reason.

SELRES_AMDO

You’re a dishonest piece of shit, whom nobody should hire, ever. How dare you use your military status to fuck over employers. Oh, wait… are you just trolling again? It’s hard to tell sometimes.
Why the personal attack? I don't think that was warranted.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Where did you get that idea? You absolutely cannot fire someone because they didn't disclose their reserve status.

I've actually dismissed people in their first year of GS service. It is much easier but there is still paperwork involved. You could not use reserve status as a reason.
You can if they lied about it.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Why the personal attack? I don't think that was warranted.
I’m beginning to understand that your stories about being “discriminated” against for various reasons have more to do with you than the people you’ve worked for.

SELRES_AMDO

I’m beginning to understand that your stories about being “discriminated” against for various reasons have more to do with you than the people you’ve worked for.
Based on what? You don't know me. Never met me. Have no personal knowledge of my career. Never worked as a civilian and spent you're entire adult life in the military.

I have never posted anything remotely insulting on this site and you come out and call me a "dishonest piece of shit".