• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Highwater FITREP Burden

Hair Warrior

Contributor
If you want to avoid a MOB as a 1315 in the Reserve:
  1. Change your designator when you off ramp (several NAVIFOR designators are undermanned but avoid 1835 at all costs, it's a dumpster fire). If you have a technical degree, consider 1825/IP
  2. Stay 1315 and transfer to the VTU after your 2-year dwell time expires
I have two O4 pilots in my VTU. One a former rotary wing (now pilot for American), and the other a former fixed wing (now a pilot for FedEx). They are riding it out and are loving life, especially the last 1.5 years since we have been doing "telecommuting" drill weekends. We've drilled once at the NOSC for Unit in the Spotlight. Everything else we've done virtually including all "GMT" which I send out via PDF.

Remember, in the Reserve you are entitled to 20 years commissioned service (this is different that 20 total qualifying years of service). You can FOS for O5 as many times as you want but keep in mind when you hit 20 years commissioned service, you will be force retired.

If you want to avoid employment issues while in the Reserve:
  1. Do not tell anyone you work with or your "boss" about your Reserve status until it is absolutely necessary. No one. You are not required to disclose this to your employer. You will list it on the official employer job application but hiring managers do not look at this, they look at your resume
  2. Do not list your Reserve status on your resume. This includes removing your security clearance from your resume. Your resume is a marketing tool and is not used as anything official from a job application standpoint
  3. Do not ask stupid questions during the interview process about the employers military leave policy or anything military related. Do your own research and find out
I've followed the above to a "t" and have never had any issues with employers. The only times I have had issues with employers is when I bring up my Reserve status before I am hired (i.e., listing it on my resume or mentioning it during the interview process).
Agree on 99% of this!

One caveat: If you are a URL SELRES, they have been known to tag people with a mob approx 6 mo prior to their post-active duty dwell time expiring, so that their RLD is almost the same day as their dwell expires. They can do that, and you can’t go IRR after getting tagged, so really if you want some drill pay without a Mob you’ll need to start the IRR-VTU paperwork about a year before your dwell expires to be safe. I know one SELRES who had their IRR request paperwork get lost by the NOSC and have to be redone from scratch with all new signatures, but the delay there wasn’t significant. Obviously, any Mob still depends on needs of the Navy/Joint force - and who knows what kind of URL IA Mobs will exist if/when you are eligible to fill them.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
You want to see MAS code "AAP" - which your NOSC admin folks should apply upon receiving your VTU transfer special request chit.
You can walk the VTU paperwork around the NOSC and get it done in a drill weekend or by going in during the week and walking it around. I helped an O5 SEAL with this and he got it done in a couple of hours.

LAMPS Ninja

I love LAMPS?
pilot
OP, having come from a similar situation, if grad school is of interest, you'll never have more free time outside of work than on your shore tour. Having it done pre-transition should even improve your odds of finding a job (and getting paid closer to Navy pay). If you're considering it and are on the fence, I strongly recommend applying to schools ASAP so you can be done prior to your next sea tour. Double emphasis on this if you have a family and/or will be SELRES.

exNavyOffRec

1. Do not list your Reserve status on your resume. This includes removing your security clearance from your resume. Your resume is a marketing tool and is not used as anything official from a job application standpoint
This has come up in discussion in my circles with other corporate recruiters/HRM's some of whom including me that have made hiring decisions, the general consensus is we don't care, just like if a woman who was visibly pregnant was interviewing, or trying to predict if a young woman who recently was married will get pregnant and need to go on maternity leave in the next few years.

If there is a company that does care you probably don't want to work for them as they have issues they need to sort out.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
You can walk the VTU paperwork around the NOSC and get it done in a drill weekend or by going in during the week and walking it around. I helped an O5 SEAL with this and he got it done in a couple of hours.
Ideally, yeah!

Sometimes you gotta get RCC N12 involved, as myself and another board member can attest.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Recruiters and HR don't care cause it's illegal for them to care.
They still care. Anyone who thinks otherwise is delusional.

At the financial institution where I work, I have a Reserve colleague (20+ year employee of this dump) who referred someone to another hiring manager for a role. The other hiring manager ended up hiring the person, but then found out the person was in the Reserve. The hiring manager called my colleague all pissed off saying, "If I knew they were in the Reserve I never would have hired them."

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
HR people don't care, the hiring managers are the ones who care. Trust me. I've seen and experienced it countless times over the last few years.
@exNavyOffRec was talking about hiring managers when he said HRMs.

At the financial institution where I work, I have a Reserve colleague (20+ year employee of this dump) who referred someone to another hiring manager for a role. The other hiring manager ended up hiring the person, but then found out the person was in the Reserve. The hiring manager called my colleague all pissed off saying, "If I knew they were in the Reserve I never would have hired them."
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data." I'm absolutely certain that there are people like that in the private sector, but I'm equally certain that it's a fool's errand trying to assume that ALL hiring managers are that way. I mean, I can counterpoint your stories about multiple hiring managers discriminating with the aforementioned individual being a VP at my company, and my own manager flat-out telling me words to the effect of "I know you have to do well at your reserve job just like you have to do well at this one, and we'll work the balance out together."

I mean, maybe it's different in finance than in tech, and maybe that's relevant to folks seeking work, but it's a fool's errand to apply either of our situations to everyone else's. The answer isn't necessarily to hide your reserve status, it's to keep your ear to the ground and avoid working for people and institutions that are anti-military. Saying that folks who haven't shared your own experiences are "delusional" for not agreeing with you is a bit strong.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Saying that folks who haven't shared your own experiences are "delusional" for not agreeing with you is a bit strong.
To clarify: I didn't call anyone out for not sharing in my experiences. I said that anyone who thinks it doesn't happen is delusional. ?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
To clarify: I didn't call anyone out for not sharing in my experiences. I said that anyone who thinks it doesn't happen is delusional. ?
Fair enough; I'm certainly not going to claim it doesn't happen. It's absolutely caveat emptor for SELRES job seekers when it comes to the gray area of what USERRA would officially describe as "sketchy."

exNavyOffRec

@exNavyOffRec
I mean, maybe it's different in finance than in tech, and maybe that's relevant to folks seeking work, but it's a fool's errand to apply either of our situations to everyone else's. The answer isn't necessarily to hide your reserve status, it's to keep your ear to the ground and avoid working for people and institutions that are anti-military. Saying that folks who haven't shared your own experiences are "delusional" for not agreeing with you is a bit strong.
I am in finance and we have been told to look for people with a military background, veteran or reserve.

When we have a person go out for military reasons, illness, birth of child, whatever the situation they will use it as a development opportunity and put a person in the role to learn new things. This has been from entry level to C-suite level.

I get there are ones out there that still do things like @bubblehead described but from my experience on recruiting and hiring side they are fewer than they were as companies evolve.