• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

High speed abort at JFK . . . yikes!

GroundPounder

Hypothetically speaking, IF the crew is responsible for the error, what happens to them? Same fate for Captain and First Officer?

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Was it possible for AA to get a new crew in the plane fast enough for them to depart 30 min later?
Besides crew and fuel, the airplane is ETOPS (extended two engine overwater procedures, regs and such). As I recall, returning to the gate in a situation like this would require an extensive preflight inspection of the plane....by maintenance. Good luck getting those guys to even start an unscheduled event such as that within 45 minutes. Can't remember how long those inspections are.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
From the latest CNN article
As CNN has previously reported, the American Airlines flight continued on to London's Heathrow airport. The flight voice recorders on both aircraft were overwritten, meaning investigators can't hear what was said in the cockpit at the time of the incident.

For those in COMAIR:
I understand why a CVFDR (black box) would just continuously record over itself, but why aren't they required to last longer than a typical day or two of flying?

FLGUY

“Technique only”
pilot
Contributor
From the latest CNN article

For those in COMAIR:
I understand why a CVFDR (black box) would just continuously record over itself, but why aren't they required to last longer than a typical day or two of flying?
(Not in COMAIR myself, but I’m familiar with the systems on the P-8). Last time I saw the FARs regarding this it was that the black boxes are only required to hold around 30 minutes of recording. Many FDR systems hold much longer anyways (P-8 is 25 hours FDR and 120 mins CVR) but my understanding of the intent is that they exist to provide data for crashes and accidents, and the relevant data surrounding those only last a short time.

Plus, so much flight data is being sent off the planes in real time (ie FOQA) that they probably wouldn’t need it for routine, non-mishap type stuff.