• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

High speed abort at JFK . . . yikes!

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

It seems somehow an American flight either got taxi instructions across a runway where a Delta flight was taking off, or else gooned away the taxi instructions they got. In any case, the Delta flight got their takeoff clearance cancelled . . . while already at 100+ knots. ?

TF7325

pilot
Contributor

It seems somehow an American flight either got taxi instructions across a runway where a Delta flight was taking off, or else gooned away the taxi instructions they got. In any case, the Delta flight got their takeoff clearance cancelled . . . while already at 100+ knots. ?
There’s a YouTube video on this. Seems like they gooned up their taxi instructions and were given a number to call ?

HuggyU2

None
Wonder if ASAP will get them out of this...
No, that's what the union is for (ok... I'm half-kidding).

Frankly, I'm surprised they continued to London, instead of taxiing back and calling the union. That said, they were pulled from the trip and deadheaded back to the States after they landed.

I'm guessing you could find the Delta pilots about two hours later: in the hotel bar with a double Scotch each.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sounds like the American crew didn't have any idea what just happened.
Or any idea what RWY they just crossed. Especially weird that they continued to taxi on J toward 4R when they were cleared to 4L.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't recall, Is the JFK LHR trip an augmented crew? I don't think it was at one time in the past. In any case, my point is, there may have been a third set of eyes in the cockpit, and still...

HuggyU2

None
Or any idea what RWY they just crossed. Especially weird that they continued to taxi on J toward 4R when they were cleared to 4L.

I've never flown at JFK, but my Delta friends say it's kind of a mess with regards to the complex layout.

Plus, add in impatient controllers that expect you to know the airport like you've worked in the tower for 10 years, and you have intangible factors that make the crews feel rushed.

Everyone flies with a moving map on their iPad (most use FD Pro X from Jeppsen) and it gives tremendous amounts of SA on the taxi out. But... this obviously still happened.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I'm guessing you could find the Delta pilots about two hours later: in the hotel bar with a double Scotch each.

If it were me, I'd call crew skeds and say I'm done/sick/fatigued/whatever, then immediately walk to hotel bar, and order 100 beers. Yes Brody, I would like 100 for me and the captain please. Each. Actually, I would probably be in the self serve laundry trying to clean my last pair of underwear.

Mos

None
I didn't realize until looking it up that they got their taxi instructions on the other side the airport.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Was gonna say. No F'ing way am I working a flight after I almost died in a Tennerife-like fireball. CAPT would be calling ALPA and getting us removed or I would.

HSMPBR

Not a misfit toy
pilot
Was gonna say. No F'ing way am I working a flight after I almost died in a Tennerife-like fireball. CAPT would be calling ALPA and getting us removed or I would.
Was it possible for AA to get a new crew in the plane fast enough for them to depart 30 min later?

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Was it possible for AA to get a new crew in the plane fast enough for them to depart 30 min later?

It would be a massive ass pain to go back to the gate and maybe deplane everyone, but not impossible. There are reserves for this reason. I don't want to impugn their professionalism. I'm sure there was a discussion in the cockpit before they pressed.

Me personally? After I cleaned the seat cushion from my ass as the FO with a window seat to that, I'd have a hard time talking about much else between Gander/Shanwick messages besides the fact we just cheated death after we allegedly caused a runway incursion. And if I should be calling Truckmasters after we land.