• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Here is something you don't see everyday

Lonestar155

is good to go
French aircraft perform touch and goes on the U.S.S. Stennis. Just wondering what the whole purpose is behind this excerise?

Attachments

• 070412-N-8157C-542.jpg
    070412-N-8157C-542.jpg
    635.5 KB · Views: 402

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
French aircraft perform touch and goes on the U.S.S. Stennis. Just wondering what the whole purpose is behind this excerise?

France is the only other country with a modern conventional carrier and we share quite a bit with them when it comes to carrier technology and training. The catapult system installed on the Charles de Gaulle is actually an American system and we assigned an officer to help them operate it when the ship first became operational. They also had to test the Rafale M at Lakenhurst because we are the only ones left with a land based catapult (used for testing new planes). We train their Navy pilots, sold them E-2's and occasionally stop by and say hi when we are in the area.........Contrary to popular opinion we do get along occasionally.........;)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Is that a hook-up pass or is he taxing?

Isn't that yellow & white line the landing area centerline? Wouldn't the cat shuttle be moved out of the way when aircraft are landing?

Not trying to start an argument but just a non-hooker asking questions.

As to why: http://www.cusnc.navy.mil/articles/2006/71.html

I don't know if they can trap and shoot the French jets. I've only ever heard of T & Gs.

Brett

Lonestar155

is good to go
Is that a hook-up pass or is he taxing?

Isn't that yellow & white line the landing area centerline? Wouldn't the cat shuttle be moved out of the way when aircraft are landing?

Not trying to start an argument but just a non-hooker asking questions.

As to why: http://www.cusnc.navy.mil/articles/2006/71.html

looks like a touch and go. If you enlarge the picture the nose wheel is off the the deck and you can see the burners... Sexy lookin jet!

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
From the platform

I am know one of the CAG Paddles onboard Stennis pretty well and got an email from him a few days ago.

He mentioned that this was a pretty cool deal. The French sent over their own LSOs and the differences in technique/procedure was quite interesting. He mentioned that they (French paddles) are much more conversational with their pilots on the ball. A lot of what we would deem non standard (LSO NATOPS) comms. He said that for guys who had never seen or flown IFLOLS before they did pretty well. They were all touch and goes.

Also, if I remember reading the email correctly, the next day a divsion of Hornets went over to the French carrier for some touch and goes of their own. That could be bad gouge, not certain if it happened, could have just been an air power demo of sorts.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I am know one of the CAG Paddles onboard Stennis pretty well and got an email from him a few days ago.

He mentioned that this was a pretty cool deal. The French sent over their own LSOs and the differences in technique/procedure was quite interesting. He mentioned that they (French paddles) are much more conversational with their pilots on the ball. A lot of what we would deem non standard (LSO NATOPS) comms. He said that for guys who had never seen or flown IFLOLS before they did pretty well. They were all touch and goes.

Also, I remember reading the email correctly, the next day a divsion of Hornets went over to the French carrier for some touch and goes of their own. That could be bad gouge, not certain if it happened, could have just been an air power demo of sorts.

I've read articles to that effect. I think the cross-decking experience would be amazing. Back in my VP days, we did a couple dets in France and worked with their Atlantique II guys (French version of MPA). The modern French military are some real pros IMO.

Brett

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Lonestar - are the front wheels off the ground or just rolling over the wire? Plus the pictures I have of aircraft in burner on the deck have a lot more flame off the tail pipes, even in the day light.

Paddles - while I believe what you posted, it sure looks like he is not pointing in the same direction as the centerline. Maybe its just an illusion from the angle that the pictures taken.

To all - I just noticed the article I linked to is a year old.....sorry...but it is a good example of why....

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
They were done hook up, with the wires stripped so there is no way they could trap.
We don't have launch and recovery bulletins for their jets (except the E-2C of course) so we would take no risk of catching them.

Also a couple of years ago we crossdecked an E-2C to their carrier. The French had the new jet shown above in their "hangar" but wouldn't let us near it to photograph it. So they may still be touchy about it and security as well.