• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Herc Drivers

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I apologize for so many questions...although I have searched, I couldn't find an answer for this wierd one.

During API, I've gathered there are swimming tests and the infamous helo dunker/chair dunker. I've learned that if you are not a strong swimmer, you can be placed in remedial swim with ample time to catch up. HOWEVER, I tried to search the use of goggles in the water...(wierd I know). I'm a tad bit worried because I cannot seem to open my eyes underwater.

This past summer we were only allowed to use goggles for the mile swim and the mile swim prep sessions.

We HAD to use blackout goggles for the dunker and the chair and that egress trainer. They leaked like a sieve.

Wudgles

Cause I am most ill and I'm rhymin' and stealin'
pilot
I apologize for so many questions...although I have searched, I couldn't find an answer for this wierd one.

During API, I've gathered there are swimming tests and the infamous helo dunker/chair dunker. I've learned that if you are not a strong swimmer, you can be placed in remedial swim with ample time to catch up. HOWEVER, I tried to search the use of goggles in the water...(wierd I know). I'm a tad bit worried because I cannot seem to open my eyes underwater.

I recently finished API, and the goggle situation isn't so bad. You can't use them for TESTABLE EVENTS other than the mile swim. So, during endurance swims and the like, you can use your own goggles. For tower jumps, treads, etc., you cannot use goggles. No goggles in the dunker/chairs except blackout goggles when they tell you.

Grove

Sorry to bring up an old-ish thread...

Statistically speaking, I read the Marines are roughly around 60% helos, 30% jets and the remaining 10% C-130s. Being realistic, even if you get good grades in flight school, its more than likely you will get selected to the helicopter community correct? I just don't want to get my hopes up of selecting the (great :p) Herc and go into another community. (Given that IF I get accepted into OCS as a SNA and IF I pass.)

P.S. I understand it is up to the needs of the Corps and am willing to fly whatever they give me.

81montedriver

pilot
Sorry to bring up an old-ish thread...

Statistically speaking, I read the Marines are roughly around 60% helos, 30% jets and the remaining 10% C-130s. Being realistic, even if you get good grades in flight school, its more than likely you will get selected to the helicopter community correct? I just don't want to get my hopes up of selecting the (great :p) Herc and go into another community. (Given that IF I get accepted into OCS as a SNA and IF I pass.)

P.S. I understand it is up to the needs of the Corps and am willing to fly whatever they give me.

Selecting airplanes is the LAST thing you need on your mind right now. Focus on the closest alligator to the boat and that is getting a package in if you haven't already done so, keeping your grades up and your nose clean.

Even if you get good grades in flight school, needs of the Marines Corps governs everything and you have to keep that mindset the whole time. When I was waiting for selection, I kept thinking it would have been exciting to get my first choice, but it would have been just as exciting to get my 2nd, 3rd or 4th. So keep that in the back of your head. Focusing too far ahead tends to mess up your current mindset.

Grove

Last one...

Which service would have the LEAST chance of going helos between Navy and Marines? (No offense to any helo bubbas..)

How about turboprops?

KBayDog

Alright, son, you need to knock this stuff off. If you want to be a part of Naval Aviation, you need to accept the fact that you can and will wind up flying whatever "they" need you to fly. If you try playing the percentages game, you're setting yourself up for failure.

If you ask "percentages" questions on AW, you're setting yourself up to piss a lot of people off and get yourself banned from a website that is a valuable resource for those in Naval Aviation.

(That said, you'll have just about a 100% chance of flying turboprops with both the Navy and the Marines Corps...assuming you make it up to (and including) Primary flight training.)

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
You are gonna kill yourself worrying about 60% this, 34.5% that ... fuck it man, so much is out of your hands. Study hard, play hard, fly hard ... the rest is up to God, fate or pure dumb fucking luck (depending on what you might believe). Get at it man.

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
Here's some percentages for you:

During A-pool: 100% of your time should be spent drinking. Easy math.

API: 98% drinking 1% studying and 1% thinking about other trivial things to take your mind off of API

Primary: 50% flying 50% drinking 50% flying more. Don't worry if that math doesn't look right, just go with it.

Advanced: Meh, do whatever you want, you get the point by now.

Good luck.

RoarkJr.

Thread resurrection: How is Herc squadron life? I heard the deployment cycles are unique, and that optempo is very high. Is the plan to go from 3 to 4 Herc squadrons gaining steam, already has the ball rolling?

Bigfoot

Saw a couple of articles posted online saying how they are adding that 4th squadron in Hawaii. Should be exciting