• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Herc Drivers

Grove

Does anyone know how Herc spots are recently? I found that there are on average 26 spots a year around 2002. Since they are more competitive than jets and helos for the USMC, is there anything you can do to select/guarantee this prop bird besides a killer NSS and luck? Any tips, advice, wisdom, anything for an aspiring Herc driver?

For KC-130 pilots; what NSS did you have when you selected?

Any help would be appreciated.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
ya know....This is a what percent question, but I have a different answer for you. First, yes you have to have great grades. The next thing...Let people know early and often that you want hercs. On-wing, class advior, stucon, and skipper. They're all going to ask, so just tell them. There's 32-ish slots a year according to the most recent avplans. If you're the guy who wants hercs, and you don't suck, they'll work with you.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
You are a wise man ... you will go far.

PM me for anything you got.

S/F

81montedriver

pilot
26 spots? 32 spots? When I looked at the aviation plan I could have sworn it was down around 22. All in all there will be roughly 2 spots per month.

You can't give this guy shit because NOBODY ever posts asking about Hercs.

MarineMike is right. If you want Hercs, make it known early and having a killer NSS doesn't hurt. The vast majority of those who selected Hercs had a high NSS. By high NSS I'm talking right around the jet min or even higher. Those who did not have a very high NSS when they selected were extremely lucky.

Several people I know who had a low NSS who selected Hercs either attrited in multi engine training or made it to the squadron but did not make TPC and will probably be done flying because of bad trends.

Stay motivated, keep your eye on the prize and work hard. If you get Hercs that's awesome and you will learn all the cool things about the community. If not, be happy with whatever you get.

PM with additional questions.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Lots of Herc guys in the VT's as instructors right now. I think there are 18 between the 3 squadrons is what my on-wing (A Herc guy) told me.

phrogpilot73

My FAM partner in HT's was a former Herc loadmaster, had a great NSS and let everyone under the sun know that he wanted Hercs. Since he was my FAM partner, you probably have figured out he got Helos. The biggest part of it is still timing/luck.

Grove

Thanks for the insight.

Does what you do in high school dictate your chances of getting accepted into PLC besides your SAT score?

Pariel

I don't think I was ever asked any of my high school grades, if that's your question. Talk to your local OSO if you haven't already.

djj34

pilot
The only pieces of my application that had anything to do with high school were community involvement, sports, letters of recommendations (chose a teacher I had been a TA for during two years), and SAT scores. Generally they're looking for the whole person concept, so your current values are taken into consideration. Don't forget to get that good PFT score too, aim for at least 270+ for Juniors, even more for Combined.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
How you do in API has no effect whatsoever on selection of platforms...right?

It does contribute to your NSS, and thus to your selection. Not a huge part, but something like 10 or 15%.

Grove

I apologize for so many questions...although I have searched, I couldn't find an answer for this wierd one.

During API, I've gathered there are swimming tests and the infamous helo dunker/chair dunker. I've learned that if you are not a strong swimmer, you can be placed in remedial swim with ample time to catch up. HOWEVER, I tried to search the use of goggles in the water...(wierd I know). I'm a tad bit worried because I cannot seem to open my eyes underwater.

magnetfreezer

When I did it you weren't allowed to except for the mile swim and dunker. I wasn't able to initially (used to swimming w/goggles) but it doesn't take long to get used to it.

81montedriver

pilot
I apologize for so many questions...although I have searched, I couldn't find an answer for this wierd one.

During API, I've gathered there are swimming tests and the infamous helo dunker/chair dunker. I've learned that if you are not a strong swimmer, you can be placed in remedial swim with ample time to catch up. HOWEVER, I tried to search the use of goggles in the water...(wierd I know). I'm a tad bit worried because I cannot seem to open my eyes underwater.

Well I guess you better start practicing in the tub then!