• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Help: my knee just came apart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malice 1

pilot
lance2 said:
Hey geoff,

Walmart has some stuff called Osteo BIFLEX (COMES IN A BLUE BOTTLE). Its the same **** we sold at gnc when I worked there, but the doses are a bit smaller. Its got glucosamine, condroitine, and the MSM. All that **** is good for your joints, helps with your cartledge and stuff. MIGHT TRY SOME NATURAL FATTY ACIDS (omega3,6,9) TOO- they are starting to suggest that with the condroitine to help with the aches and pains-don't ask why just know they are putting the two together in some kit at GNC.

P.S. its a long shot
You might go to a back doctor. Have him check to see if your arches need more support. If your aches have fallen at all it puts more stress on the lower back, which is connected to the Hammies, which in turn can ***k your knees up over time. It may have nothing to do with it, but if the pain moves up into the lower back and you get to where the knee feels locked out, it could be a simple fix with some arch supports, and a back adjustment to realign the hips.

PEACE OUT MALICE, SEE YA WHEN YOU GET BACK THIS WAY.

Lance,

I have been taking that osteo biflex stuff for about a month now. I will definatley continue to take it. I'll be in salina on 14 May thru 17 May. I'm also coming out in august to get "hitched".
I will get new shoes this weekend. I'll try some new balance shoes for those "arch challenged" people like myself.
Aside from that, I will just stick to upper body PT weight lifting for a few weeks.
I sat around on a giant wire spool all day at work today. It feels better than it usually does after work.

Malice 1

pilot
HueyCobra8151 said:
Here is a good resource. Of course nothing beats seeing a doctor.

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,5033,s6-78-79-0-6899,00.html

These two seemed the closest:
Of course, this isn't all that accurate. When I had my knee problems, I "diagnosed" myself as having Patellofemoral Pain.

But the pain didn't go away until I started doing ITB stretches...so I think I had/have ITB Syndrome. This is why you need to see the doc.

Q: Do you feel stiffness over the front or inner side of your kneecap, especially after sitting or kneeling? Does it hurt more walking down steps? Does the pain go away a few minutes into your run?

If the answer is yes you could be having Patellofemoral pain, see [A] below.

[A] Patellofemoral pain can be caused by alignment problems, damage to kneecap cartilage, overpronation, or muscle/tendon weakness or tightness. You can run through most patellofemoral pain, says Robert Wilder, M.D., of the University of Virginia, but you may need to cut back on distance, hills, or intensity. (But be extra careful if you have chondromalacia, a form of arthritis that causes patellofemoral pain.) Strength training, wearing a knee brace, taping your arches or wearing an orthotic, and replacing worn shoes or wearing motion-control shoes can help.

Q: Do you feel achiness under your kneecap? Is your knee swollen? Have you logged more than 400 miles in your shoes? If the answer is yes, you could have Osteoarthritis, see [D] below.

[D] Osteoarthritis is the wear and tear of cartilage. The pain can flare up on a run or a leisurely walk, depending on the severity and your age. Good news: Moderate running is okay, Wilder says. Cut back on mileage, hills, and pace when symptoms occur. Consider getting new shoes after 300 miles instead of 400 to 500 miles. Include a good strengthening program that focuses on hamstrings, quads, shins, and gluteals. Wearing a knee brace and taking nutritional supplements of chondroitin and glucosamine also are recommended.

It's prolly Osteoarthritis. That description is pretty accurate. Awsome link. THanks.

VAmookie

A good rule of thumb as previously stated is to replace your shoes about every six months or about 500 miles. HOWEVER!!!! shoes that you wear at OCS you need to trash IMMEDIATELY! your shoes will never take a pounding like what they will at OCS and are pretty much crap afterward. Replacing them afterward is a must

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
lance2 said:
...Osteo BIFLEX...

I used to use this stuff when I hurt my knee from a ShootFighting injury. The stuff works good, but I found that you have to take the stuff religiously. If you skip a dose or two its not so bad, but try to take it on schedule.

Hope it turns out to be only minor damage. Good luck.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
1. See your doc. All the advice in the world over the internet may not do you good and may hinder or kill your desires....job wise.

2. Get new shoes.

3. See your doc...do not screw around with your career or health...it is likely something simple, but, you cannot afford to gamble on that.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
see your fvcking doctor for christ's sake. are you really stupid enough to take your medical advice solely from the internet? if you're that lacking in common sense, you might want to rethink career paths.

ip568

None
Is becoming a Marine Corps aviator worth, instead, possibly crippling yourself?

Tough call. I had to apply for AOCS three times before I got a medical waiver because my eye sight was 20/100 and the max allowable at the time was 20/50. But that never involved having to possibly cripple myself.

Malice 1

pilot
squeeze said:
see your fvcking doctor for christ's sake. are you really stupid enough to take your medical advice solely from the internet? if you're that lacking in common sense, you might want to rethink career paths.

You're a passionate little fellow, aren't you? This isn't my only advice source. It just seemed like a good idea to speak with those that have been there.

I'll make it to the doc soon. I have been taking it real easy all week, so I am not to worried.

Broadsword2004

Just remember to take really good care of the knees. They are one of those sensitive parts where when you mess them up enough, they can be ruined for life.

mat

go to a running store and get the correct shoes for your feet. also, maybe some insoles for your work boots.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
firefriendly said:
Wouldn't it be smarter to gut it out, get your gold wings and then start falling apart? That way the military will pick up the tab and not throw you out?

well they can't wing you if you can't pass a flight physical, or worse yet, can't walk. I haven't met a flight doc yet (in my very limited exposure to them) who's goal is anything other than get you healthy and get you med up again.... heck, we've had people be med down for over 6 months here and still earn their wings.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
whether you can hack it or not is your call... it's not an ethical issue.

kj11

You're going to get a lot more from a PT then a doctor. Osteoarthritis of the knee cap is just the softening of the knee cap which most people with any activity end up getting. What they dont' tell you is what caused it. Usually it's a muscle imbalance which makes your knee cap get pulled to one side more and then it doesn't fit well in the groove it;s supposed to live in. Because you're probably on your feet a lot it's constantly rubbing over the femoral condyles which you could live with until you start running like you have to! A pt can give you specific exercises to help you re-align it and they'll do this very simple tape job (with special very expensive tape) that will put your knee cap in the right place so you can run for awhile without irritating it which will help reduce the swelling. Ice after you run and go and get this herbal gel called arnica flora gel. the stuff works miracles for any sore muscles or inflammation in your body. My husband is at TBS right now and got his whole platoon hooked on it. I saw a lot of all that you're describing when i was a team physiologist for college football!! Don't let the docs just give you a name, make them find the cause or it will never fully go away!!
good luck!!
kristin

Malice 1

pilot
Kristin, you rock.

I haven't run for a week and I'm starting to feel really lazy. I can't just sit around like this. It's driving my crazy. I'm going to the gym and scheduling a PT tonite, so I can get back in the game. I'll look for that goo stuff, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.