• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Helos or Jets

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Choose based on MISSION. You don't have enough background to assess the rest.

It actually is pretty "cool" to be all goggled out with a bunch of Marines in the back going to an LZ, too. Blowing stuff up ain't necessarily the be-all-end-all.

Plus, with the V-22, the assault side finally can win the "how much the aircraft I'm in costs" cool points. :icon_smil

Also, if by chance you get it, it has its own pipeline, so you know your ending selection from the get-go.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
Also, if by chance you get it, it has its own pipeline, so you know your ending selection from the get-go.
I enjoyed that aspect of the Herc pipeline too. The only selection you have to think about after primary is which coast you will be heading to.

Xtndr50boom

Voted 8.9 average on the Hot-or-Not scale
I love the idea of flying low and slow and seeing shit blow up as I kill it.

-don't really want 46s.

-On the jet side, you fly a jet. That's bad ass as long as it's not a Prowler.

My advice is to try an interservice transfer to the AF! A hard charger like you wouldn't have to worry about whimpy planes like 46s and Prowlers :icon_roll. Pfft, you'd be ushered to the front of the line for vipers or eagles (not the gay kind, but the Strike Eagles!), and with all the wuss pilots flying tankers, trash haulers, U-2s, A-10s, and other no-good mish-hackers, you'd be the king of the world! Don't worry about that UAV/TAMI crap you may hear about, either. That's just propaganda from the squids trying to justify their measly existence.

Ever watch Iron Eagle? That could be you, bro. IF you play your cards right

FLY_USMC

pilot
I'll be 100% honest and this is coming from a guy who had always wanted Jets. I would personally take a long hard second look before you dog the Prowler. There is something to be said about being in the tailhook community and not living on a boat. Being in the jet community and not being forced to memorize pages and pages of Topgun manuals. Being pretty much guaranteed LtCol as long as you're a good dude and you treat your peers.....yes that includes ECMO's:).....with some semblence of respect. In the end, you don't know what you don't know but I'll agree with Harrier Dude, I would'nt roll the dice in helo land praying for a lucky quality spread Cobra slot.

a2b2c3

Mmmm Poundcake
pilot
Contributor
Sure you may fly a lot at 15000 ft in a jet. But those few times you get to cruise low over the ground at 300+ knots are totally worth it.

MasterBates

The upper end of "cool" is whatever the COD can do balls-out.

230ish? :D

The lower end of cool is how low I can fly a 60B. I'm not saying how low that is.

JSF_Dreamer

Busted Head
I've always been partial to jets. Plus, if your engine goes out... it will glide to a certain extent (pending upon which aircraft you're in), but helos kinda fall if their engine goes down.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
I've always been partial to jets. Plus, if your engine goes out... it will glide to a certain extent (pending upon which aircraft you're in), but helos kinda fall if their engine goes down.

Jets fall like a coke machine from the sky without engines. Don't fool yourself on that one.

Choppers can autorotate.....which is loosely interpreted to mean "falling slower than a coke machine".

Nafod

Change I can belive in
glide? who glides? its time to step out for some air at that point.

helos have this black majick autorotate thing that they do... if you are interested in wanting to stick around that long in a f'ed up bird.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Jets fall like a coke machine from the sky without engines. Don't fool yourself on that one.

Choppers can autorotate.....which is loosely interpreted to mean "falling slower than a coke machine".

Come on, folks. I've never even been in a helo in my life, and I can tell you it is far from black magic.

Falling coke machine with rotors causes rotors to spin up (transfer from potential to kinetic rotor energy). Ground gets BIG, you jam in the collective, rotors convert kinetic energy into huge torque and they take a BIG bite of the air, generate HUGE lift suddenly and slow down coke machine down to a controlled crash. There is some magic number of airspeed/altitude which is required for the coke machine to be able to autorotate without requiring jaws of life for egress. :D

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Come on, folks. I've never even been in a helo in my life, and I can tell you it is far from black magic.

Falling coke machine with rotors causes rotors to spin up (transfer from potential to kinetic rotor energy). Ground gets BIG, you jam in the collective, rotors convert kinetic energy into huge torque and they take a BIG bite of the air, generate HUGE lift suddenly and slow down coke machine down to a controlled crash. There is some magic number of airspeed/altitude which is required for the coke machine to be able to autorotate without requiring jaws of life for egress. :D

I am vaguely familiar with all of this Bogey.....

Burn this into your brain...."Down, right, idle, turn........pull, pause, level"

It'll come in handy some day.:D

phrogpilot73

Several things to help you make your decision. As phrogdriver said, try looking at the mission first. I wanted Assault Support as my first choice.

Then, look at whether you want to fly multi-crewed aircraft. Personally, I can't imagine flying without a crew chief. There's something very comforting about getting an inflight emergency, and having him be able to actually LOOK at what's malfunctioning and tell you if you can make it to a better landing area, or even better - he jiggles some wires, and POOF - no emergency.

Third, look at the group of dudes in that community. If Cobra guys drive you nuts in the training command, guess what? They may do the same thing in the fleet. You spend more time hanging out with them than you do flying.

Finally, don't take gay statements like "we can glide" or "we can eject" into account when making your decision. Only pussies think that way. Real men just want to fly, and don't give a shit how they do it.