• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Helo Question

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Why do you helo guys sit on the right? I don't get it. What's the logic?

rare21

pilot
Contributor
good question..no clue from here as to why the "pilot" has the right seat...great to get an answer to this...(probably totally obvious)

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Uhh I dont, we sit tandem but I dont know why the right is over left unlike fixed wing where left is over right.

A nod to our British allies maybe?
The fact that if you lose tail rotor authority the nose will go right?
Tradition?
Just to be different?
The right seat is easier to land at the boat as we fly the pattern or so Ive heard.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
skidkid said:
Uhh I dont, we sit tandem but I dont know why the right is over left unlike fixed wing where left is over right.

I know YOU sit tandem, sheesh. :icon_tong

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Good post Rare. The whole hand off the collective vice cyclic to tune radios etc is I think a good reason.
With that said when taking out a new guy especially at night my hand is much closre to the collective than cyclic. Teh way our cockpit is set up I tune radios etc with my right hand in the back so not sure I buy it but good in theory.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
I had my first CPT today and was told numerous times to not ever take my hand off the cyclic. Granted I have no experience to really comment on this, but I was wondering the same thing and the above explanation makes sense.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well the tectbook flight school answer is never take your hands off the controls when you have them. They are stressing crew coordination there expecially. Really cant do that in a tandem seat bird, there are things only the back seater can do and he cant always pass controls.
The cyclic obviously is important but the collective more so at times. There are few problems an armpit full of collective cant solve- (beware the TH-57 has not power and you will over torque it) the only ones an armpit full of collective cant solve require dumping the collective-sensing a trend yet. Once you start flying watch the seasoned IPs I bet their conrol guard posture favors the collective more than cyclic.

Time to change the avatar Greg.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I had heard it was due to the fact that a lot of the original helo aviators were transition guys, so their instructors, who were used to the usual fixed wing AC being on the left, sat in the left and the student would sit right. So, a whole generation of pilots got trained being used to sitting on the right, so when it came time for them to choose where they sat, they picked the right because that was where they were most comfortable.

and i'll second the new avatar.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So how about a pilot / NFO combination in helicopters if the second guy is there to just change radio frequencies?

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
skidkid said:
Good post Rare. The whole hand off the collective vice cyclic to tune radios etc is I think a good reason.
With that said when taking out a new guy especially at night my hand is much closre to the collective than cyclic. Teh way our cockpit is set up I tune radios etc with my right hand in the back so not sure I buy it but good in theory.

I had a cobra guy in primary tell me that ya'll rarely take your hands off the controls in flight w/ retreating blade stall issues and whatnot. He said something along the lines of 'it will try to flip over on you in a heartbeat.' Now, is there much truth to that or was it a case of wow the young T-34 student?

Stearmann4

I'm here for the Jeeehawd!
None
Yet another perspective that's been promulgated (at least in the military) is that since the hoist is on the right side, the pilot sits in the right seat to maintain visibility of hoisting operations/survivors.

Reactions: E5B

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Another interesting--and related--question is how do other countries work their pilot-copilot seating? Helicopters built in some other nations have their main rotors turning opposite of US-made ones. If the seating arrangement is based on the nose going right with a loss of tail rotor thrust in US helicopters, would the pilot sit in the left seat in other nations' helos? Damn it, where's Igor when you need him?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
This is a really good question. I think what you have to keep in mind is that you can't apply what we do nowadays as to why the right seat is the way it is. People were flying helos long before any of our modern day machines were around, including the tandem ones. It's also interesting that as many knowledgable people we have here, as well as on that other board, no one really seems to know the answer, for sure.

The idea that it allows you to keep your hand on the cyclic at all times sounds reasonable to me, since it all started in the days before trim and AFCS. As Skid is saying, in the fleet, it's not as big a deal to always have a hand on the controls, at least on the Navy -60 series. That's not to say you shouldn't be guarding it, but if you're up and away, and need to mess w/ something for a few seconds, taking both hands off the controls is not a big deal since there's an Alt-hold, trim, and AFCS flying for you. You guys will be pleasantly surprised when you come from the seemingly spastic -57.

@Schnugg:

I know your question requires people to think outside of the box, but personally, I would not want an NFO next to me. I know similiar things can happen in fixed wing land, but a helo is just so dynamic that if you need the second person to take the controls, I would prefer that to be a pilot who can get me back to the boat and on deck at night.