• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Helo pilots ‘counseled’ for rescuing New Orleanians without permission

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Mefesto said:
The two lieutenants were each piloting a Navy H-3 helicopter - a type often used in rescue operations as well as transport and other missions - on that Tuesday afternoon, delivering emergency food, water and other supplies to Stennis Space Center, a federal facility near the Mississippi coast. The storm had cut off electricity and water to the center, and the two helicopters were supposed to drop their loads and return to Pensacola, their home base, said Cmdr. Michael Holdener, Pensacola's air operations chief.

Oh man , small world - Mike Holdener and I went through API, VT's and HT's together - I believe he was in HS-5 during Desert Storm. He's a laid back, pretty jolly kind of guy as I remember him. I'm kind of surprised. I bet the Commodore was all over his a$$ and he had to do something...

Interestingly enough, his sister, Brenda Holdener had just finished her tour as Skipper of HC-2, and she and I cruised as nuggets together in HC-6. Another former HC-6 bubba and cruise buddy just took command of HC-2 by the way - Jeff Connor.

Man, small small world. Lol!

ChuckMK23

pilot
Just a quick and interesting thought - of the 6 officers that were in my first det/cruise from HC-6 FOUR have achieved command (O-5 or better) and I believe all are screened for post command near as I can tell. Two of us from that det had left active duty when our time was up...

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
gatordev said:
The other 1% was a "Why did you do that!?!" Once the scenario was explained, the issue went away.
It wasn't that thing with little boys was it?

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Mefesto said:
I actually happen to know Matt "Spanky" Udkow quite well...he's out of the Navy in like 3 months anyway.
I've never met him but I've been e-mailing Matt and talking to him on the phone over the last few months. I'm trying to help him transition to fixed-wing/airline flying by getting him on at Scenic. It's been about a month since I've last talked with him. I admire his doing the right thing and hope it turns our well.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
HAL Pilot said:
I've never met him but I've been e-mailing Matt and talking to him on the phone over the last few months. I'm trying to help him transition to fixed-wing/airline flying by getting him on at Scenic.
John's gonna be looking for job here in a few years too.

phrogpilot73

Mefesto said:
While refueling at a Coast Guard landing pad in early evening, Lieutenant Udkow said, he called Pensacola and received permission to continue rescues that evening. According to the pilots and other military officials, they rescued 110 people.
If that's true, then why's he working in the kennel? It seems to me that he probably would have called the ODO, who would have talked to the CO to get the go ahead. If that's the case - the CO should "sack up" and tell his superiors that he told them to continue. Of course, we may only be seeing one side of the story, perhaps he was reminded what his primary mission was, and got a little disrepectful. We'll never know...

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Steve Wilkins said:
John's gonna be looking for job here in a few years too.
We're shooting a little higher with him since he has 4 engine fixed wing time versus helo. This is assuming, of course, he doesn't make any more comments degrading the greatness of NFOs..... :eek: :D :D

7677ob.jpg

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Steve Wilkins said:
It wasn't that thing with little boys was it?

No, different issue. I'm referring to the incident w/ your sister...

beau

Uh? Why read anything the NYT puts out....no really..why? If you read that peice you can clearly see parts aimed fueling the Fire of politically left thinking people. an example:

The episode illustrates how the rescue effort in the days immediately after Hurricane Katrina had to compete with the military's other, more mundane logistical needs.

Read: the Military Command does not care about Saving people's lives when presented the oportunity.

Flying over Biloxi and Gulfport and other areas of Mississippi, they could see rescue personnel on the ground, Lieutenant Udkow said, but he noticed that there were few rescue units around the flooded city of New Orleans, on the ground or in the air. "It was shocking," he said.

Read: NO was ignored by rescuers for some strange reason(uh? because it was...flooded maybe?). The quote "It was Shocking" could be completely out of context.....but we will never know.

Then it goes on to say that military personal are always at conflict with their superiors...and seemingly have better judgement.

The NYT can blow me!

ChuckMK23

pilot
CBS Evening News 9/19/2005

Couldn't help but post this - CBS Evening News just did a story on Coast Guard helo operations in New Orleans following Katrina.

CBS News Reporter to CDR Dan Taylor, USCG: " So did you have to ask permission from anyone, go through a chain of command, or tred tape to help and resue people who clearly needed it?"

CDR Taylor: " No Sir - there were no decisions that involved anyone else but me and my crew"

The news story highlighted the aggressive flexibility and leadership the Coast Guard showed.

It contrasts greatly with the subject of this thread - and now that I've seen the CBS news report I can't help thinking that Rear Admiral H. Denby Starling (aka AirLant) should feel disappointed in himself for not encouraging his commanders to take the same approach.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
It's a little ironic that you're USCG now, after reading the thread. Did you know all this time that there was a thread all about you on here? Were you the HAC?