• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Helo pilots ‘counseled’ for rescuing New Orleanians without permission

twidget

Deskaholic
By Bill Kaczor
Associated Press
PENSACOLA, Fla. — Two Navy helicopter pilots were reminded of the importance of supply missions after delivering their cargo and then rescuing 110 hurricane victims in New Orleans instead of immediately returning to base, the military said Wednesday.
One of the pilots was temporarily assigned to a kennel but that was not punishment, said Patrick Nichols, a civilian public affairs officer at Pensacola Naval Air Station.

“They were not reprimanded,” Nichols said. “They were counseled.”

Lt. Matt Udkow and Lt. David Shand returned to the base from their mission on Aug. 30, a day after Hurricane Katrina made landfall, Nichols said.
Complete Article: http://www.navytimes.com/story.php?f=1-292925-1087613.php

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
From the New York Funnies....oops, I mean Times...New York Times

From: http://ebird.afis.mil/cgi-bin/ebird/displaydata.pl?WGSID=UPVTAGLXEY

New York Times
September 7, 2005

Navy Pilots Who Rescued Victims Are Reprimanded

By David S. Cloud

PENSACOLA, Fla., Sept. 6 - Two Navy helicopter pilots and their crews returned from New Orleans on Aug. 30 expecting to be greeted as lifesavers after ferrying more than 100 hurricane victims to safety.

Instead, their superiors chided the pilots, Lt. David Shand and Lt. Matt Udkow, at a meeting the next morning for rescuing civilians when their assignment that day had been to deliver food and water to military installations along the Gulf Coast.

"I felt it was a great day because we resupplied the people we needed to and we rescued people, too," Lieutenant Udkow said. But the air operations commander at Pensacola Naval Air Station "reminded us that the logistical mission needed to be our area of focus."

The episode illustrates how the rescue effort in the days immediately after Hurricane Katrina had to compete with the military's other, more mundane logistical needs.

Only in recent days, after the federal response to the disaster has come to be seen as inadequate, have large numbers of troops and dozens of helicopters, trucks and other equipment been poured into to the effort. Early on, the military rescue operations were smaller, often depending on the initiative of individuals like Lieutenants Shand and Udkow.

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
I heard talk about this in the squadron today. Interesting situation. What happened to the SAR provision where we are supposed to give aid when/if we can?? I know its not law of the sea since it was inland, but still... If a survivor had been floating in the ocean after being swept out of the city, would the Navy have expected the pilots to fly by him without rendering assistance?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Actually, in a sense, yes. In the end, it's the HAC's call, but usually SOPs state to make an effort to get permission from the CO first. If the CO doesn't feel that's been met, or just generally wants to say it was a dumb idea, he has that right, since he's signed the HAC's papers.

At sea, contacting the CO may be as simple as trying to get whomever's controlling you the info, relay if needed, and go from there (ship's CO, E-2, P-3, etc).

Did these guys do the wrong thing? Well, apparently the skipper thought so, but I'm sure the rescuees would disagree.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was stashed at the Pcola SAR unit before API and worked for LT Udkow. Small world.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
virtu050 said:
probably upset the CO even more after they relayed it to the press...

I would imagine that would do it...

gatordev said:
Actually, in a sense, yes. In the end, it's the HAC's call, but usually SOPs state to make an effort to get permission from the CO first.

Why didn't they notify C2 of their movement from their assigned mission?

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
jamnww said:
I would imagine that would do it...

Why didn't they notify C2 of their movement from their assigned mission?

Do you know how hard that can be sometimes? Even if you are in radio contact with someone it is quite possible for them not to be able to relay it to your CO/sqdn whatever. If they were in contact with an FAA controller, he/she might have been unable/unwilling to do it. If in contact with an E2 (I heard they were out there), the E2 may not be able to call homebase because they don't know the freqs, have other things to do, whatever. I would imagine in this situation, there is a lot of things being thrown together, and alot of the normal benefits airwing SOPs and so forth don't work so well with units that have never briefed let alone worked together before.
I would say generally in the Navy helo world, because of altitude, other comms limitations, and the nature of many of our missions we get kind of used to being out of comms range with homebase.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes, but can you imagine the flack you'd be seeing in the press if these two had refused to assist in rescue efforts because they had to return to base to stage more cases of bottled water.

Press would eat that up.

Just like every gov't employee that's circumvented a rule to get stuff done that was really needed will most likely read about it somewhere in the future long after the flood waters are gone.

East

东部
Contributor
Interesting...

What would the Police do while in a hi-spd persuit and seeing someone lying down the street...bet they will cancel their persuit and investigate the situation.

What if they are following a bunch of terrorists in a car loaded with firearms & bombs...bet they will contact EMS and continue the persuit.

HAC's situational judgement should prevail and be encouraged, period!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Ahh, but who says the HAC's judgement is sound? The CO, and it's his aircraft (well, it's the wings', but he's got the say so). I betcha some new HAC board scenarios will be coming out of this whole Katrina experience. A friend of mine told me the other day that someone had 17 people in the back of a -60B. For anyone who's been back there, that's a total rack and stack 'em situation.

At the time of this incident, I don't think the E-2's were on station yet. I think they came a day or two later, but I may be wrong about that.