• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hell Is Spending Two Months In A Cessna That Never Lands

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Day 54: "Yeah, but like, dude, what IF the Earth was flat...."
"Dude . . . I mean I'm just asking questions. Dude . . ."

"Are you sure you didn't sneak any of the jazz cabbage up the last time they sent us up a bunch of pre-packaged shit from the buffet? I mean, I thought we just had a minor brake system leak, and we're not supposed to land for over a month, but level with me here, brah. I can take the controls if you need to go back there and sleep it off."

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
What's the overhaul cycle on a C172?
I'm guessing it's more frequent than the 1,558 hours those guys flew.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
What's the overhaul cycle on a C172?
I'm guessing it's more frequent than the 1,558 hours those guys flew.

TBO would have been/is 1500 or 2000 hours, but it's a recommendation (or mandatory for Part 135 ops). If the engine is run regularly, it can go much longer.

Reactions: IKE

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I don’t even like spending an hour in a 172, but @Swanee and @nittany03 have it right…by 30 or 40 days I’d be waking up the other guy to tell him, “Hey! I just saw ANOTHER UFO…that makes three this week.”

Random8145

Was that where they tested the Cessna's engine? I remember reading something about how utterly resilient the engine on one of these small planes was, and how two guys flew one for months in the air, and when they landed and disassembled the engine, it was still plenty fine.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Those guys beat a Yuma AZ crew flying an Aeronca Sedan in the winter of 1949. Their record, 49 days, which bested a Fullerton CA crew. The Cessna 172 kids in 1959 had it easy compared. The Aeronca crew refueled by handing up cans of fuel 2.5 gal at a time. Crapped in a bucket with asphat liners (no plastic bags) thrown out over California ?. No auto pilot, smaller cabin. They actualy made repairs in flight. Most daring feat of all, the Yuma crew landed a tailwheel airplane at the end ;) .

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I remember reading something about how utterly resilient the engine on one of these small planes was,

But the thing is that they aren't. Every pilot who has flown GA knows at least one person (if it isn't themself) who has had a a crummy Lycoming air cooled engine crap out on them- and always when they needed it the most

Random8145

But the thing is that they aren't. Every pilot who has flown GA knows at least one person (if it isn't themself) who has had a a crummy Lycoming air cooled engine crap out on them- and always when they needed it the most
Yes I don't remember what engine it was, might have been a different one.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Speed-Clean-Check-Feather-Look-Lock . . . aaaand PEL.