• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Helicopter Movie Cliches

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
A4sForever said:
Right .... but I suspect the Goshawk "blivets" aren't former napalm tanks. Tanks a lot ....

Judging by their size, I would say they aren't... little too small ;)

T45C.jpg

You can see the blivet in this picture.

The napalm seems feasible, but those sure as hell looked like fuel tanks..maybe it was the acting that couldn't seem to get me into it, cause it was horrible. I still can't see time-compression as reasonable excuse for the speed of those airstrikes, I would think that the battlefield would change somewhat or even dramatically, especially at the rate that things were going. Moreover, they tried to dramatize it wayyyy too much, it affected they I watched it.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
goosegagnon2 said:
The napalm seems feasible, but those sure as hell looked like fuel tanks..maybe it was the acting that couldn't seem to get me into it, cause it was horrible. I still can't see time-compression as reasonable excuse for the speed of those airstrikes, I would think that the battlefield would change somewhat or even dramatically, especially at the rate that things were going. Moreover, they tried to dramatize it wayyyy too much, it affected they I watched it.

Jesus dude, IT'S A MOVIE.

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
Hey A4s, BACK in the day when my dad was flying a4's for vc1 out of barbers point......there you go, now you cant be my grandpa :)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
mules83 said:
Hey A4s, BACK in the day when my dad was flying a4's for vc1 out of barbers point......there you go, now you cant be my grandpa :)

The BLUE ALI'I is BACK ??? Well, even if I can't be your Grandpa ... email this to your Dad.--- he'll like it.

vc1patch.jpg
barberhi.jpg
151030a.jpg

Coota0

None
Goose: The reason they look like fuel tanks is becuase Napalm is a jellied gasoline like substance, hauling it in something similar to a fuel tank makes senese.

Moore actually used the term "Broken Arrow" during the battle. It mean that and American postion was in danger of being overrun and that every aircraft in theater was supposed to come into to support that psotion. They stacked aircraft every 1000 ft. up to something like 28,000 ft. , the forward air controller had all that airpower to call in. One reason you may have thought the aircraft got there quick was you may have had your A-4s confused with another aircraft or theoretically there could have been more than one section of A-4s on station. I recall seeing A-6s luanch of the carrier in that scene, are you sure they were A-4s?

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
KBayDog said:
I'll remind you that I am a lowly SNA - and, therefore, do not rate time to get into soap operas, whether they be of the FOX variety, or the more traditional CBS style. I do not have the free time afforded to the mighty, might IPs ;) Therefore, I stand by my cliches!

(Of course, since I am not technically training at the moment, I have no excuses - other than I am catching up for lost time at McGuire's...)

Ah yes, naval aviation training, the toughest in the world. Stash job or not, SNAs have more free time than should be legal. 2 hr brief, 2 hr hop, a couple hours studying....wow....6 hours...better call the union! :icon_smil

Jack may have had trouble starting his helo in 24, but James Bond started one after it was pushed out the back of an Antonov, before it hit the ground!

KBayDog

phrogdriver said:
...SNAs have more free time than should be legal. 2 hr brief, 2 hr hop, a couple hours studying....wow....6 hours...better call the union! :icon_smil

You forget that some of us are Marines, some of us are originally from the Democratic People's Republic of New Jersey, some of us were college educated in states that are still fighting the "War of Northern Aggression," and some of us now live in Florida. Twenty-four hours a day is nowhere near enough time. Remember, you're dealing with the lowest-common denominator here. [insert "tongue-in-cheek" smiley face here]

It's gotten so bad, that they have resorted to giving some of us Marines a four month virtual head start for studying at South Field just so we could be on par with our Navy and Coastie bretheren, who report to the HTs the day after they are assigned helos. [insert another "tongue-in-cheek" smiley face here]

(BTW, I can't get into shows that require thought. I'm more of a King of Queens, My Name is Earl, and The Office kind of guy. No helos in those shows - heck, I don't think there's a helicopter out there powerful enough to lift Doug Heffernan!)

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
KBayDog said:
[insert "tongue-in-cheek" smiley face here][/I]
[insert another "tongue-in-cheek" smiley face here][/I]

Ya gotta have the smiley faces to maintain the Airwarriors love...

phrogpilot73

Best helicopter supporting role in a movie: X-Men 2. Why? There's a Phrog in it. Only movie I know of that's got a Phrog...

KBayDog

phrogpilot73 said:
Best helicopter supporting role in a movie: X-Men 2. Why? There's a Phrog in it. Only movie I know of that's got a Phrog...

In that case, you've got to check out Rules of Engagement. They have these magical aircraft that are Phrogs when they load the Marines and depart the boat, but then mysteriously transform into Chinooks enroute and at the LZ.

Friggin' amazing.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
And how can a Marine not referrence Heartbreak Ridge? They jumped out of Phrogs on the exercise to the water pit.

@Kbay... I don't know what to tell you. I don't know how you're going to be able to study for HAC and watch all those movies on cruise. You might as well DOR now.