• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Heavy Metal (of the rotary kind)

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
If I was a rotor head, the 53 would have been where I'd hope to go. Are they sought after, or does everyone want to drop seals and swagger and vertrep with HSC? Any Helo that can pick someone's house up when you piss them off is pretty impressive.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
A look inside, from the Corpus Christi Air Show.

DSC_0055.jpg

DSC_0056.jpg

AE 606 Photos

OscarMyers

None
Any Helo that can pick someone's house up when you piss them off is pretty impressive.

Yeah i have that Tshirt. I was out at HC4 in sigonella. As much work as that helo was, it was still a beast. It was an eye opener when we were on standby for the olympics casualty evac with something like 27 litters ready to go.

JIMC5499

ex-Mech
D models. You gotta read the book about the planning/events for this SAR effort. Lots of things done right, just a couple more things done wrong. I was surprised to learn that the pentagon started planning that rescue the day after those folks were taken hostage. Took 'em a year to work it up. Too bad it turned into a clusterfuck.

If you are wondering why I am not providing the title of the book it is because I can't remember it at this moment. I am sure someone else will come along and provide it. If not, I'll do so when I get home.

Yep. They thought of everything except taking along some troubleshooters and some Go boxes. One bird downed for a hydraulic pump and the other down for a bad BIM indicator and nobody brought a tire gauge. Black eye for the Navy no matter how you put it.

Lawman

None
If I was a rotor head, the 53 would have been where I'd hope to go. Are they sought after, or does everyone want to drop seals and swagger and vertrep with HSC? Any Helo that can pick someone's house up when you piss them off is pretty impressive.

I was busy graduating IERW....

I can tell you all about steering in the 47 thanks to one of my former crew chief classmates.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Blast from the past (5 years ago at least)

web_040722-N-5821W-004.jpg

040722-N-5821W-004 Naval Air Station Sigonella, Sicily (July 22, 2004) - A MH-53E "Sea Dragon" helicopter assigned to Helicopter Combat Support Squadron Four (HC-4) undergoes pre-flight checks at the Naval Air Station (NAS) Sigonella flight line before a mission. HC-4 is based in Sigonella and transports cargo, passengers and performs a wide range of heavy helicopter combat support missions, including mine-countermeasures operations. Sigonella provides logistics support for Commander, Sixth Fleet and North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) forces in the Mediterranean area of operation. U.S. Navy photo by Journalist 2nd Class Stephen P. Weaver (RELEASED)

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Are they sought after, or does everyone want to drop seals and swagger and vertrep with HSC?

There were only a few slots every now and then so the seats were usually competitive. There weren't many guys that wanted 53's overall though.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Good to see that the PAOs are just as bad now as they were 4 years ago. HC-4 didn't do AMCM. If they had, they would have been a HELMINERON and not a HELSUPRON.

Ardent tow haters squadron four.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
There were only a few slots every now and then so the seats were usually competitive. There weren't many guys that wanted 53's overall though.

If guys don't want to choose a platform that is mostly land based and perdiem getting, then I don't know what to say.

S.O.B.

pilot
If guys don't want to choose a platform that is mostly land based and perdiem getting, then I don't know what to say.

I don't remember the exact numbers but we once calculated that a three year tour with HM-15 that included two Bahrain deployments would be ~50K better then your typical USS Ship squadron.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor

The common consensus I heard when I went through was no one wanted to have to tow all the time, because that was the rumor that's all 53 guys did. I personally wanted them but there weren't any seats for about two months when I winged.

I don't remember the exact numbers but we once calculated that a three year tour with HM-15 that included two Bahrain deployments would be ~50K better then your typical USS Ship squadron.

Bingo!