• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Heard a lot about OCS, but what's TBS like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beaver

My OSO said the same thing about dropping out of aviation, but the problem is that you never know what kind of ground position you will get. They might stick you in the least desirable job they have simply because you skipped out on flying.
But who knows for sure?

Rainman

pilot
Several people dropped their flight contracts @ TBS in my company in favor of a ground MOS. This was done prior to MOS selection so they competed like any other ground assignable lieutenant.

Edited by - joshmountain on 08/14/2002 20:10:34

Ghish

I just graduated OCS, and was told not to even think about dropping my aviation contract. Right now the USMC is not accepting any ground contracts for the next year. I was told that there are no ground slots open, so if you decide to switch you might be waiting for IOC or equivalent courses for awhile. The only applications they are accepting right now are for aviation, nfo, and law.

-Ghish

Q-ball

Marine CH-53E Pilot
pilot
DON'T LET THEM BRAINWASH YOU AT TBS!!! DO NOT DROP YOUR CONTRACT!!! I REPEAT DO NOT DROP YOUR CONTRACT!!!! TAKE IT FROM ME I AM A COUPLE OF WEEKS FROM FINISHING FLIGHT SCHOOL. THE WING IS AWESOME, DONT'T GIVE IT UP AND GO GROUND.

Q-BALL

Rainman

pilot
"brainwash?" you @ TBS?????

The Marines I know that dropped their contracts had to jump through a ton of hoops and were told by everyone, especially the XO @ TBS why they should keep their air contracts and how badly they're needed. The Marines that dropped the contracts if anything were brainwashed by their OSOs who couldn't send any more PLC-GND guys to OCS so sent infantry wannabes as PLC-AIR saying they gotta just sign a paper @ TBS. . .anyways. .it ended up being a lot more difficult. I love air; you love air;. . not every officer in the Marines wants to be a pilot--> crazy bastards.

napkin

I didn't want an air contract to begin with and still don't want it. My OSO knew this and simply advised me to drop once I got to TBS. What I want is the 42 month service agreeement not the 72 months as required for aviation. Even if I have to take something like PIO or Admin. then I'll do it. Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of waiting until ground slots are open which is why I took aviation to begin with.

Thanks

Rainman

pilot
yeah. . . there were a bunch of you when I was @ TBS. . like you said, it's better than waiting who knows how long for a "ground" OCS and/or TBS slot to open . .How bizarre. . to think our nation's "first to fight" ground fighting forces aren't hiring! Good luck to you

E6286

OCC 191 Select
I am currently applying to both naval and marine aviation.... All I have left is my PFT tests (the marine one is going to take alot more training). Anyway, my OAR is a 50 with 6 and 7's for my nautical portion of the exam and I will graduate next july with approx. a 3.4. I think I have a pretty good shot at both programs but it seems the marines really need pilots right now, is this correct? I mean I got the impression from my OSO that they are in great need (of course he made it sound like they didn't need anybody b/c they don't want anybody thinking it is easy to get picked up). I am shooting for Oct. 5, 2003 OCC. Do you guys think I have a good shot?

Rainman

pilot
I think so. . .OCS will tell you if you have what it takes and if you're "approved". . ..I would guess you're package will get approved and you'll have a fabulous air guarantee and ship off to Qtown. . Good Luck

dcassidy

What is the exact process for creating a package to become accepted for OCS? I went through some initial paperwork with my recruiter, but that's as far as I have gotten. If any of you could give me an idea of the tests that have to be taken, what they are like, and how long they take to complete, I would appreciate it. I know that I have some time because I have to get PRK first, but any information and advice is appreciated.

Tessone

Fill out the paper application, including references.
They will do a background check.
Get a physical at a military institution (your OSO will set this up).
Take the ATSB if you plan to do aviation.
Wait for them to take you or not. :)

Rainman

pilot
In addition. . .I remember getting a bunch of letters of recommendation. . writing the short essay (more like statement). .obtain ACT or SAT scores (that was tricky). . run a PFT. .

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
It's very difficult to drop your air contract at TBS. My roommate at TBS (A Co) was dropping his and they made him jump through hoops the entire time we were there. I recommend that IF you don't want the air contract than don't take it. I think the OSO's believe that once you're there, you'll want to fly. Especially once you see all the "moto" films, etc. I guess it's easier to drop it than to pick one up. I don't think we had more than 3-6 slots for SNA's for the entire company. NFO's were easier to come by though. You won't know what kind of ground job you'll get anyway, unless you're close to the top in your company.

Well, if I'd have known there was a second page, I wouldn't have posted this! Mountain pretty much covered everything I did -- sorry!

JF

How tough is it to get into IOC prior to flight school or any other MOS school for that matter? I was under the impression that once you graduate TBS you go onto your primary MOS school i.e. JAG, flight school or tanks and are "not allowed" to also do IOC unless it is a part of your primary MOS like, for example, ground intel.
Is this info wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.