• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Heard a lot about OCS, but what's TBS like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Citizen

I'm curious what to expect if i do take the route of Marine and enter TBS after PLC. Is it as difficult as i am hoping?

megrey06

Kingsville
Having not been there myself, you'll have to take my information with a grain of salt. My understanding is that TBS is still a challenge, but the environment is obviously a little different than OCC/PLC. For one, you don't have any sergeant instructors keeping you company. Once you hit TBS, you are a Marine (albeit a very green one). I know you get a lot more time to try your hand at the different leadership positions, and there is certainly a lot to learn.

I've also been told by someone who was there recently, that you participate in a CAP manuever and that you get a bug's eye view of a Hornet coming in hot & heavy and delivering supporting fire. What a motivator!

-Matt

airwinger

pilot
TBS, The Basic School, The Big Suck, Time Between Saturdays I'm currently beginning the 5th month out here, and despite the clowny meanings we give to TBS, it is a very interesting school. A visit to www.tbs.usmc.mil and viewing either an active company's webpage or the CO's talk would give you a grasp of what happens. So far it has been interesting. You begin with martial arts, earning your Marine Corps Martial Arts Program Tan belt, with a bunch of classes mixed in, then it's off to 3 weeks at the ranges earning your pistol and rifle(M-16) quals. Those are fun coz you get up early walk the 2.5mile there and get back late. After that phase is done, you begin the land navigation package(a ton of time is spent on this) and things like communications and individual weapons(M249 SAW light machine gun and M-203 grenade lancher) plus learning how to use claymores, grenades and plastic explosives. After an intense series of tactics classes, you begin field work at the squad level, learning offensive and defensive tactics, and do patrolling. After that it's more of the same with more expected of you and now you start doing helo inserts, night patrols and after learning about the medium/heavy machine guns(M240G, Mk19 and M2 .50cal) you also incorporate them at the platoon level. You'll also get to do live fire ranges, watch CAS(we got Harriers and F-18's) shoot artillery and learn about mines.

That's where we are, next we do a lot of MOUT(military ops in urban terrain, urban patrolling, and some time doing amphibious introduction, wrap up with the 5 day WAR and you are now a basically trained Marine Officer. There's also 'exciting' things like the Endurance course and the 20 mile hike and the joys of night land nav but you'll enjoy all that when you get here.

But it's also a lot of fun, coz you're 30miles from D.c and there's nothing like sweating with your buds during the week and partying with them over the weekend. Plus since your making that officer pay and are hopefully not married with all those single persons in D.C[:)]
hope this helped
airwinger

O-man

That all sounds very similer to the School of Infantry's Infantry Training Bn. but only Weapons plt. guys got to do the 50 cal and all that. I wonder what doing all that over again for six months is gonna be like- as opposed to the ten weeks doing it that I just did. Night land nav Sucks- we had people trying four times before passing.

Rainman

pilot
as airwinger said, they do use the 50 cal @ TBS as well. besides basic nomenclature & immediate action, most of your "knowledge" @ TBS is focused tactically. . how to best utilize wpns plt assets assigned to your platoon/company. . that's something a lot of prior enlisted '03' guys got to learn @ TBS with the rest of us.

O-man

So I for the most part think I may know the answer to my own question But..... I have a grey blet and a WS-1 swim qual rating. Will they let me go for green in the MCMAP and WSQ during swin qual? I forsee doing everything all over again- which is no big deal, but it would be nice.....
That makes sence about how to Apply rather than prac app the wps. systems. Semper Fi, LCpl O-man

Rainman

pilot
O-man

A lot of classes have the ability to get their grey belts while @ TBS. It really has to be organized by the students. We had two ITs in our company so they pretty much took it on themselves (they also have to do so much training to stay current with their IT) to make it happen for us. IOC guys have to have their grey belts; so it was optional for anybody else--all of it was after hours and weekends. WSQ testing is every Saturday. A lot of Marines can't do the brick swim--so you can practice during the week & test on Sat . You won't have to do MC martial arts or swim again if you don't want to. You'll probably end up helping out with the tan belt training--it would certainly be nice if you could kick out some of your grey belt instruction during the tan belt time--we weren't afforded that opportunity. . BUT at a minimum, some of your grey belt hours are actually refresher tan belt topics. For the grey belt test the examiner can ask you any tan belt techniques he wants.

Semper Fi
Lt Mt.

Citizen

quote:
TBS, The Basic School, The Big Suck, Time Between Saturdays I'm currently beginning the 5th month out here, and despite the clowny meanings we give to TBS, it is a very interesting school. A visit to www.tbs.usmc.mil and viewing either an active company's webpage or the CO's talk would give you a grasp of what happens. So far it has been interesting. You begin with martial arts, earning your Marine Corps Martial Arts Program Tan belt, with a bunch of classes mixed in, then it's off to 3 weeks at the ranges earning your pistol and rifle(M-16) quals. Those are fun coz you get up early walk the 2.5mile there and get back late. After that phase is done, you begin the land navigation package(a ton of time is spent on this) and things like communications and individual weapons(M249 SAW light machine gun and M-203 grenade lancher) plus learning how to use claymores, grenades and plastic explosives. After an intense series of tactics classes, you begin field work at the squad level, learning offensive and defensive tactics, and do patrolling. After that it's more of the same with more expected of you and now you start doing helo inserts, night patrols and after learning about the medium/heavy machine guns(M240G, Mk19 and M2 .50cal) you also incorporate them at the platoon level. You'll also get to do live fire ranges, watch CAS(we got Harriers and F-18's) shoot artillery and learn about mines.

That's where we are, next we do a lot of MOUT(military ops in urban terrain, urban patrolling, and some time doing amphibious introduction, wrap up with the 5 day WAR and you are now a basically trained Marine Officer. There's also 'exciting' things like the Endurance course and the 20 mile hike and the joys of night land nav but you'll enjoy all that when you get here.

But it's also a lot of fun, coz you're 30miles from D.c and there's nothing like sweating with your buds during the week and partying with them over the weekend. Plus since your making that officer pay and are hopefully not married with all those single persons in D.C[:)]
hope this helped
airwinger

right on. i was pretty much wondering if it was more abot learning or punishing, but it sounds like a decent blend of both. best of luck to you in finishing up.

airwinger

pilot
Just finished FEX III aka Offense/Defense week, and it wasn't as bad as everyone tries to say it is. Now I'm all about doing IOC before flight school.

Anyway as far as the grey(or higher) belt and WSQ, it all depends on your company. for ours, they let the tan belt guys all upgrade(while we were getting our tan belts), but I don't think anyone had a grey belt already. Also OUR company won't let anyone go for WSQ till all officers have their minimum qual(including WS1 for aviators and infantry)
btw the gouge at IOC(also known as "the first rule about IOC is you don't talk about IOC, the second rule.....") is that they may extend it to 14 weeks, move the 10 day war to 29 palms, AND allow you to do green belt training. They actually want infantry officers to be green belt instructors.

I'd really like some gouge on the Combat Endurance Test(Josh did any of your buddies do IOC and are willing to talk) If you feel uncomfortable sharing here just email me.
semper fi,
airwinger

Rainman

pilot
I think the particular CO makes a big difference to "how bad" something like O/D week is. . . when we compared our O/D week to the companies before and after us. . .well. . ..yeah, ours sucked. 18 hours of movement to contact with full rucks. . . lots of icey cold rain. . . oh yeah. . .great times!

Pat1USMC

Enroute to VMAQ-1
Josh, you amaze me with your motivation. I figured i'd see you on here.
Drop me an email, i forget yours because its too damn easy to remember. (Good logic right?)Pat1USMC@hotmail.com

Anyway, like he said, your experience at TBS depends on your company and your CO. Two companys right next to each other can be like night and day. Alpha Co. learned that first hand...

thartley

A thought about IOC. Do you really want to take the chance of getting hurt and not being able to fly at all. Something to think about.

napkin

I understand that those officers who wish to drop their aviation slot in favor of a ground slot can do so at TBS. Any truth to that and if so how easy/difficult is it to drop the aviation contract and go ground?

O-man

I heard my OSO say that they are having such a hard time getting ground people in, that they send them in as air wing people then have them "change their mind" later at TBS. Its that or wait got up to a year (I heard) for a TBS date.

napkin

That's what I heard as well from my OSO but I was just wondering if those who've been to TBS could confirm that.

Status
Not open for further replies.