• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Heads up...AOCS All Hands Reunion 27-28SEP19.

johnboyA6E

None
^ I don't see any mud or fire ants....

Holy shit! I know everyone thinks theirs was the last class that had it bad but man, the fire ants must have be huge back in your day if you could see them from that distance! :)

actually, you can't see them because they are already under the shirts and shorts and have entered all available orifices

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
The rose garden (as Maddog correctly called the area in the pic) and empty grass PT areas were full of them. Everyone got bit.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
The pit was infamous. Even after they stopped sending classes there, c. late 1990s at combined OCS, we knew of it.

What about the rifle runs to the back gate? Those sounded like a ton of fun too. Did any of your classes fail drill comp and get marched down one of the seaplane ramps into the bay? That is some kind of remediation! :D

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Rifle runs, black home/rose garden/pit, marching down the sea plane ramps, etc.were all normal.

Heaven help you if you left your locker ynlicje. Beside the shaving cream covered hurricane that were all your belongings, your rifle was now buried in many pieces in the flower beds surrounding the battalion. The hour you spent digging everywhere to find the various pieces were essentially mostly extremely long and extremely intense OT sessions by one DI after another. Everyone knows how much Marines hate those who lose their rifles... Then trying to do drill holding the pieces you had managed to find to that point was a real spectacle...hilarious for the rest of us even though we ended up having the dog shit PTed out of us too for not “looking out” for our classmate. If all the pieces weren’t found in a few days by the unlucky candidate, the rest of the class got to join the fun and games.

Outposting was especially “fun” with every DI participating. It happened right after the latest commissioning parade and the newly commissioned Ensigns got to show their families poopies being brutalized as they left the Indoc barracks for the Batt. Being a show, it was exceptionally intense with extra DI’s screaming, performing and PTing candidates. It wouldn’t be allowed to be seen today.

johnboyA6E

None
we though we were being clever by pre-spinning the combo lock so we could save a few seconds when opening it. the way you were supposed to do it was to leave the last number off by 5 or so clicks. but there was one guy who left it all dialed in, so all you had to do was pull on the lock and it opened.

one of the DIs was digging around the rooms while the class was out getting beat on, and found the unlocked locker. he got inside and had another DI lock him inside.

when the class came back and the poor guy opened the locker, the DI came flying out like a madman and tore the kid apart.

we only saw it happen once, but i think that was a 'thing' back then, i've heard others tell the same story from different eras

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I had to Google that. I thought maybe it was in the Urban Dictionary. Doesn't look like auto-correct...I finally concluded HAL must be having a stroke.
Stupid fat fingers....on small iPhone keyboard...
we though we were being clever by pre-spinning the combo lock so we could save a few seconds when opening it. the way you were supposed to do it was to leave the last number off by 5 or so clicks. but there was one guy who left it all dialed in, so all you had to do was pull on the lock and it opened.

one of the DIs was digging around the rooms while the class was out getting beat on, and found the unlocked locker. he got inside and had another DI lock him inside.

when the class came back and the poor guy opened the locker, the DI came flying out like a madman and tore the kid apart.

we only saw it happen once, but i think that was a 'thing' back then, i've heard others tell the same story from different eras
They were doing that during my time too. Happened at least once a class to the new class.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Does anyone have a more detailed pic of the BATT I Bulldog in the pic below?

I’m attempting to have a replica BATT I t-shirt made prior to the AOCS reunion in September.

Thanks in advance.