• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

HCS Squadrons and FAC with SEALs

phrogpilot73

I spent some time out at Creech with 84 a few months ago and not only do they take experienced pilots. they are very selective as pags indicated. Two of the guys I met were formerhigh time Army pilots.
They've also got a former USMC MAWTS-1 Instructor/Phrog guy...

busdriver

None
Where is HSC-84 stationed?

EDIT: Disregard, 2 seconds on Google (yep, I'm an ass) gave me Norfolk and Reserve, which was what I was looking for.

PR1 H

Perpetually fixing cranial/rectal inversions
...however I don't think I would be satisfied with the typical VERTREP, SAR, etc missions of the Navy...

Just $0.02 from a guy on the ground... be happy you are in a cockpit... period. I would kill to be in your position and not give a damn if I was told I was going H-60B/F/H/S, E-2's, P-3's, or even terminal prop instructor. But, hey... I'm just a guy stuck on the ground so what do I know.

...getting a FAC tour with the Seals. A friend who is a retired Seal Chief ..."

Unless you are talking about flying around with semi-aquatic marine mammals, you might want to write that as SEAL.

highside7r

None
I spent some time out at Creech with 84 a few months ago and not only do they take experienced pilots. they are very selective as pags indicated. Two of the guys I met were formerhigh time Army pilots.

So I might still have a chance to get back into the Navy.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Are there opportunities for Navy to do a tour flying with the Marines?

At least on the rotary-wing side it's extremely rare, i.e. I've never seen it in a fleet squadron. I've seen a Navy pilot in VMX-22 doing operational test, but that's it. Think of it as an unsual, case-by-weird-case thing, not an opportunity that comes up on a regular or predictable basis. I'm sure there's someone who could come up with another odd or old example.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
The only Navy helo pilot that I've heard of flying with a Marine squadron is in the FRS. I know of a couple USN bubbas who went to the H-1 FRS and the H-53 FRS. I haven't heard of someone doing a fleet tour with them.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Here's an answer...Navy helo pilots fly Navy helos. I'm sure that one asshole knows another asshole that transitioned, but there are at least 10,000 assholes flying helicopters at any one time. Where do YOU think your chances lie? By the way, I LOVE helos...

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Here's an answer...Navy helo pilots fly Navy helos. I'm sure that one asshole knows another asshole that transitioned, but there are at least 10,000 assholes flying helicopters at any one time. Where do YOU think your chances lie? By the way, I LOVE helos...

Pump your brakes, bro. I think some of the "assholes" in the know you are referring to happen to be more senior guys in this very thread.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Pump your brakes, bro. I think some of the "assholes" in the know you are referring to happen to be more senior guys in this very thread.
That's cool...just saying, I'm sure SOMEBODY knows SOMEONE who got to fly with the MARINES, but it wasn't typical. Just so you know, I consider myself the TAINT, positioned directly behind the asshole (if your looking from the rear). No disrespect intended...

bobbybrock

None
So I might still have a chance to get back into the Navy.

I left active duty a few years ago. I was looking at flying in the reserves or guard. I contacted HCS 5 and they expressed lots of interest. As an Army guy they like the fact that you have goggle and TERF time. I was sitting at around 3800 hours TT ,1000 plus goggles and 700 plus combat time. If you have only flown Dustoff I would try and get some assault time as well. During my active duty time I spent all of my time in the assault community
In the end I went to the guard based oof of the geographic location of my civilian job.
But if you have your degree and the experience you'll be attractive to these guys.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Ok, this should probably be in the dumb questions thread, but what's TERF time?

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Terrain Flight - low altitude. Lots of navigation and SA required.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sierra returning to Helo Flightline at Fallon today

DSCN0091.jpg

HJ Photo

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Terrain Flight - low altitude. Lots of navigation and SA required.

Funny, this happens to be a briefing item for my next flight :) Just started low levels, I can almost see the end of the tunnel. . .