• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

HCS Squadrons and FAC with SEALs

exo

This doesn't really belong in the Advanced category... however I was wondering if anyone had any information on HCS squadrons... what time of ground training you go through, how to get into it (is it luck, hard to get into etc), missions etc.

My desire to go helo's has been steadily increasing, however I don't think I would be satisfied with the typical VERTREP, SAR, etc missions of the Navy. Been thinking about a lat trans to the marines... if the HCS option doesn't seem realistic.

Any scenario that I would love to have more information on is going helo's and getting a FAC tour with the SEALs. A friend who is a retired SEAL Chief told me about it briefly... but told me you get recruited for it and didn't have a ton of details. This is definitely something I would be interested in, if I could find some more information about it. Thanks guys.

exo

HSC is HSC.

HCS is Helo combat support special squadron. Appreciate you clearing that up for anyone else not aware.

Pags

N/A
pilot
The Navy used to have two HCS squadrons, 4 and 5. 5 was decommed a few years ago and HCS-4 became HSC-84. Guys I know who have gone to 84 have done so either as FTS or on either their shore or disassociated tours. It's not a squadron that you go to as your first sea tour. They only take experienced guys. A buddy of mine was looking into going there and basically had to rush the squadron.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
If you don't like the mission sets of HSC or HSM, I'm sure there are other communities that would love to have you.

1rotorhead

pilot
HSC is HSC.

HCS is Helo combat support special squadron. Appreciate you clearing that up for anyone else not aware.

Please don't come on to this site and lecture us on what these communities are named. There are no "HCS" squadrons. All are named HSC.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Hey look, a primary stud explaining helo squadron designations to rotorheads.

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
As previously stated HCS doesn't exist anymore. If you want to be considered for -84 or -85, then do your job, do it well and think before making comments to those who know.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
This doesn't really belong in the Advanced category... however I was wondering if anyone had any information on HCS squadrons... what time of ground training you go through, how to get into it (is it luck, hard to get into etc), missions etc.

My desire to go helo's has been steadily increasing, however I don't think I would be satisfied with the typical VERTREP, SAR, etc missions of the Navy. Been thinking about a lat trans to the marines... if the HCS option doesn't seem realistic.

Any scenario that I would love to have more information on is going helo's and getting a FAC tour with the Seals. A friend who is a retired Seal Chief told me about it briefly... but told me you get recruited for it and didn't have a ton of details. This is definitely something I would be interested in, if I could find some more information about it. Thanks guys.

Maybe you can just skip all that rookie shit and go straight to slinging bullets...I hear that's what the real helo pilots do.

cage..jpg

llnick2001

it’s just malfeasance for malfeasance’s sake
pilot
If you won't be satisfied with that stuff, I wouldn't go helo's. We train a lot for the stuff I get the feeling you want to do, but don't see much real world. Most of what we do (by far) is the stuff you don't want. The squadrons you were talking about aren't first tour kind of assignments either.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Sounds like Marine helos might be more along the lines of what he's looking for.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Are there opportunities for Navy to do a tour flying with the Marines?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's HSC (HELSEACOMBATRON)

HSC is HSC.

The Navy used to have two HCS squadrons, 4 and 5. 5 was decommed a few years ago and HCS-4 became HSC-84. Guys I know who have gone to 84 have done so either as FTS or on either their shore or disassociated tours. It's not a squadron that you go to as your first sea tour. They only take experienced guys. A buddy of mine was looking into going there and basically had to rush the squadron.

Exo, HCS = former name (HCS-4). The "Red Wolves" are now HSC-84 and HSC is as RadicalDude attests. You have old name. Check out recent CoC for history of name change.

I spent some time out at Creech with 84 a few months ago and not only do they take experienced pilots. they are very selective as pags indicated. Two of the guys I met were formerhigh time Army pilots.