• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

HCS-5 Re-established

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Whats the advantage of the Gau-17 over x2 Gau-21s??

Gau-17 is a 7.62mm multi-barreled mini-gun, the 21 is a single barreled .50 cal. The rate of fire greatly of the 17 by far surpasses that of the 21. Also, you're a little off, you can actually put two 17's on a H, only one 21 on an H. The 7.62 round is much better (at least in my opinion) in providing the anti-personnel CAS role than the .50. For larger targets that the .50 cal would be better suited for isn't really in the realm of capability of any 60, except maybe the 60 DAP's that the 160th uses.

How does the loss of cabin space of a 60S w/ one internal aux tank compare to the comparatively reduced cabin space of a 60H with larger internal tanks (I know the syntax of that sentence is awful...)??
The unrefueled range of a 60H compared to a 60S with their stock internal tanks is significantly higher. When a 60S adds their internals to match the range of the 60H, it significantly reduces the floorspace available. Add to that that the 60H can throw an external on and increase range that much more without any reduction in floorspace, it's an obvious advantage.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Independent of the SEALs desires, I will say that thus far I'm really disappointed in the fact that I have to pause in the checklist to wait for the Sierra's computers to catch up.

Shouldn't you be used to that from your previous life?

A common thing heard in my cockpit, half way through the flight:

"Oh, the SACs came up. Cool..." And then continue ignoring them.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
There is a decent summary here on the Sierra's OT results.

Boot time for the common cockpit gets better with PC/OSI fully implemented (not great, but better).

I don't doubt that the SEAL's want a better organic capability, I just doubt the Navy's financial commitment to that.

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
Shouldn't you be used to that from your previous life?

A common thing heard in my cockpit, half way through the flight:

"Oh, the SACs came up. Cool..." And then continue ignoring them.

Sure - but that was mission equipment. Besides, nobody ever really cared if a B ever made it off the deck. In my current job, speed is life, and you can't even get through pre-start checks in this thing before HAL starts shitting himself.

And HIRSS is the dumbest idea ever.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
Sure - but that was mission equipment. Besides, nobody ever really cared if a B ever made it off the deck. In my current job, speed is life, and you can't even get through pre-start checks in this thing before HAL starts shitting himself.

I guess you haven't watched a Sierra tow yet...

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor

Unless HIRSS means something different to you, how is infrared suppression of engine exhaust a bad thing?
Last I heard it was the single most effective tool againt IR MANPAD and it doesn't break like the ALQ or flare ejection systems.

Yeah it takes away about 2.5% tq available but I would gladly give that 2.5% up in exchange for something that is doing the lion's share of the work protecting me from IR threats.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
What they dislike even more is when they get put hundreds of yards away from their LZ because of a bad cockpit / mission planning software.....

So, the onus on that isn't the pilots and their pre-flight planning with a good map study and area imagery?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
So, the onus on that isn't the pilots and their pre-flight planning with a good map study and area imagery?

By no means have I done anything like the missions that hscs et al have done, but I have been given grid coordinates by the Army with a short notice mission brief and a good map study and area imagery wouldn't have been THE answer to getting in the zone. And this was during the day (albeit with low viz).

Ironically, we ended up at the correct coordinates but the Army gave us the wrong zone. Hilarity ensued...but not really.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
By no means have I done anything like the missions that hscs et al have done, but I have been given grid coordinates by the Army with a short notice mission brief and a good map study and area imagery wouldn't have been THE answer to getting in the zone. And this was during the day (albeit with low viz).

Ironically, we ended up at the correct coordinates but the Army gave us the wrong zone. Hilarity ensued...but not really.

I obviously have a long ways to go, I'm just trying to figure out how something like that would happen simply due to mission planning software.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
and you can't even get through pre-start checks in this thing before HAL starts shitting himself.
Excuse me but I never shit myself....

poop-pants-caption-contest.jpg

trogdor

pilot
The SEAL captain at the NHA symposium briefed that they wanted to shift to using more organic rotor-wing assets. He said The Teams desire the ability and comfortability working with Navy helo squadrons so that they could eventually use us on an as needed basis depending on deployed locations. And he specifically said he was not talking about 84/85.

Fantastic... is this where someone is going to try an justify sending out our V/R dets with two SOF crews but no ASE?

Look I love working/training with the snakeeaters just as much as the next guy, but until they back it up with an RFF to a "non-tactical" HSC squadron (notional smiles) I think this idea is bunk.

RotorHead04

Patch Mafia
pilot
Fantastic... is this where someone is going to try an justify sending out our V/R dets with two SOF crews but no ASE?

Look I love working/training with the snakeeaters just as much as the next guy, but until they back it up with an RFF to a "non-tactical" HSC squadron (notional smiles) I think this idea is bunk.

This organic idea is already in play. Under the current model, though, you train together at home first. We aren't to the point yet where they just find a random HSC det on a USNS and roll.

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
Unless HIRSS means something different to you, how is infrared suppression of engine exhaust a bad thing?
Last I heard it was the single most effective tool againt IR MANPAD and it doesn't break like the ALQ or flare ejection systems.

Yeah it takes away about 2.5% tq available but I would gladly give that 2.5% up in exchange for something that is doing the lion's share of the work protecting me from IR threats.

Because you're doing it at sea level.