• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

HCS-5 Re-established

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
I have no idea where this best fits... Anyways... This was posted on another site and might be of interest:

The HSC 85 High Rollers will officially become the new FIREHAWKS on 8 July, 2011.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I have no idea where this best fits... Anyways... This was posted on another site and might be of interest:

The HSC 85 High Rollers will officially become the new FIREHAWKS on 8 July, 2011.

I'm pretty sure they're staying HSC-85, just adopting the namesake.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
They picked up the CSAR/NSW mission that HCS-5 had and HSC-84 has.
New mission, new call sign, but keeping the same "number".

I am curious is they will adopt the HCS-5 squadron lineage or keep the HC-85 / HSC-85 history or both...

llnick2001

it’s just malfeasance for malfeasance’s sake
pilot
Already using Firehawk on the radio. And no, it isn't a step back at all (IMHO, of course).

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Is that a step back for that mission?

They have redundancy aircraft-wise with HSC-84 who is doing the same mission. That will make rotational dets with the sister squadron more manageable from a parts perspective.

Due to the transition of HS squadrons there are a lot of HOTELs available while the Block 3 SIERRAs are all promised to the transitioning HS squadrons. So if you want to transition the squadron and make it operational sooner, going to the HH was logical. If they didn't go to the HH, then the HS squadron transition would be slid to the right to account for the addition need of a dozen or so aircraft.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Our skipper told us that part of the reason we have too many aircraft (Sierras) is because they were slated for 84/85 and they don't want them anymore. Did they not take the reserve NSW squadrons in to account with the purchase plan?

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
The SEALS wanted the 60H, not the 60S. That's why 84 and 85 went with those.

1rotorhead

pilot
all of the new gear mentioned is great stuff, but i'd still prefer the HH. Of course we'd love the MTS and Link, but in the HH. HH is better suited to the mission 84/85 has been doing for the last 8 years. For any advantage you can say the S has, you can counter it with an HH advantage.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The SEALS wanted the 60H, not the 60S. That's why 84 and 85 went with those.

I'm pretty sure that's not how it went down.

Every -4/-5 guy I've talked to wanted the Hotel over the Sierra. Initially even hscs (the user here) was pro-Sierra (you can search for "tailwheel") but I think he even changed his mind (can't find a post to back that up, though).