• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

HBO working on another WW2 Series

BigRed389

None
I think you have a misunderstanding of how the technology works. A LRF will only tell the snake eater how far away from the target he is, and if it's tied to his GPS a 10 digit grid that is NOT accurate enough for a JDAM. We routinely train our studs that the grid they get from the Vector/DAGR combo is only good out to about 8 digits. The snake eater likely will have PSS-SOF which will give him a JDAM quality grid. After all, a JDAM is a GPS guided weapon. You need a hyper-accurate grid in order to drop BOC (Bomb on Coordinate). If you drop BOT (Bomb on Target), the aircraft systems are the ones that generate/refine the grid.

A more accurate statement would have been "...what a snake-eater with a laser target designator and a BONE with a belly full of GBU-12s can do."

What's "JDAM quality?"

I'm curious how accurate "hyper-accurate" is, since IIRC 10 digit grids give 1m resolution...and an extra 1m on top of weapon CEP doesn't seem like it would change things too much.

phrogpilot73

What's "JDAM quality?"

I'm curious how accurate "hyper-accurate" is, since IIRC 10 digit grids give 1m resolution...and an extra 1m on top of weapon CEP doesn't seem like it would change things too much.
It's not just a 10 digit grid. It's also HAE, which your standard Vector/DAGR combo can't produce. Mensurated grids, PSS-SOF, or a Relnav delivery produce ten digit grids + HAE that is JDAM quality.

And to clarify, the Vector/DAGR does produce 10 digit grids + elevation. However, they are notoriously inaccurate. HAE is Height Above Elipsoid, and that's what's required for a JDAM. The Vector/DAGR produces HAT or Height Above Terrain. When you're passing a 9-Line BOC (Bomb on Coordinate), your line 4 for a JDAM should be HAE, vice HAT... That's why the only way you'll get an accurate line 4 and 6 for a BOC JDAM attack would be via a mensurated grid or PSS-SOF. If you're going to do a relnav delivery, then you'd get into a BOT (Bomb on Target) attack.

What's "JDAM quality?"

The generic answer is that "map" coordinates don't always exactly correlate with "real world" locations. Beyond that is a classified discussion unfortunatlely.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
What's "JDAM quality?"

A made up term by people who don't understand JDAM.

Lots of geekery involved, but it's a garbage in/garbage out process.

The better a coordinate, the better the hit. Elevation counts, too.

The rest is basically sea-lawyer bullshit.

JIMC5499

ex-Mech
I have the DVD of the "Battle of Britain". One thing that they mention is the use of scale R/C aircraft and certain camera angles to generate some of the scenes. It was one of the first movies to do this.

Renegade One

None
Not WWII, but I rather expect it may have influenced several of you in your formative years:

TOP GUN (remastered digital version) to be re-released in IMAX 3D Theaters for 6 days only starting February 8:

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
One would hope they photo-shop that dorkey Polaroid camera out of Goose's hands in the re-make. Does anyone know anyone who ever carried a f**king Polaroid camera in a Naval aircraft. If they were aiming for "WTF Stupid", however, then it was probably an effective scene. Just sayin' . . .