• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Has The Navy Gone Geedunk Crazy?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You bet he did. It's sitting in my jewelry box, actually. Combat patrol pin with one gold star.

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the ribbons you can get for pistol and rifle shooting.....

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
.... I can't believe a "Cold War Victory" medal was never created. .....

Indeed it is unbelievable. Others did. Wifemate received from the Polish Government a Cold War Victory medal. She, on-air personality State Run TV in Warsaw, fled Poland in 1981 while on official travel to US. She immediately became an on-air personality on VOA radio, providing lots of support for Solidarity. Still going strong as TV producer within VOA.

Back in the day some of us wore our top two or three ribbons, personal type awards, leaving the other "general awards" at home. I see the same on occasional visits to the E Ring. Warfare pin and two or three ribbons..

We lost a Chief (of Naval Operations) over the medal issue did we not?

Pags

N/A
pilot
Indeed it is unbelievable. Others did. Wifemate received from the Polish Government a Cold War Victory medal. She, on-air personality State Run TV in Warsaw, fled Poland in 1981 while on official travel to US. She immediately became an on-air personality on VOA radio, providing lots of support for Solidarity. Still going strong as TV producer within VOA.

Back in the day some of us wore our top two or three ribbons, personal type awards, leaving the other "general awards" at home. I see the same on occasional visits to the E Ring. Warfare pin and two or three ribbons..

Top three is the only way to fly. All the other stuff just gets caught by your seatbelt.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
To rustle more people's jimmies:

Is the air medal the equivalent of a NAM in the air community? I have seen many aviators/aircrew sporting multiple air medals and it stands out since it is such a higher award than a NAM or COM.

You can also do it by number of hours, i.e. 250 hours per medal with 25 hours equalling 2 points. That's how we do it generally in MPRA as we fly long times above not so nice places. I've seen a bunch of people tally air medals that way over multiple deployments.

The AM can also be for a specific act, which I'd argue is more "valuable" (at least to me) than a Strike Flight AM. Keep in mind, though, that not everyone has the same awarding authority. I have a NAM that should probably be an AM due to what we did, but it's far easier for the CO of a ship to issue a "candy" NAM than have his Air Medal routed through the chain of command, with the associated delay...not to mention pointing out his lack of planning as a CO for "forecasted" conditions. Still, though, it was a sweet flight and a pretty nice piece of job satisfaction, no matter what "Captain Insano" thought.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes we did, all over that teeny little "V" device. What a waste... so unnecessary!:(

The V being worn illegally was a common mistake early on in Vietnam. Unintionally, many just assumed that a NMCM and NMAM came with that medal, if it was awarded for an actual combat strike. But that device is only legal when the citation states "The combat distinguishing device is authorized"! I believe it was mainly an innocent mistake, not realizing that sentence meaning, or thinking that it only applied to a non-combat award of those medals.:confused:
BzB

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Have a friend with who earned his NAM (w/ Combat V for Valor) clearing suspected mines under fire after passing Safwan Hill in the initial push...I've also stood in a formation where a Marine was awarded a NAM because after 9/11 they plussed up security at the bases - and he had to hand out extra rifles for all the extra post standers. (As one of those post standers, doing 12 on/12 off for a few months stateside, I was certainly excited to see that Marine recognized in such a fashion).

Actually, as memory serves, the Army's (originally) "Bronze Star" was originally created as a "Grunt version" of the AM…AMs were originally awarded based on "exposure"…5 missions…10 missions…I have no idea. But…the foot doggies had nothing similar. I can't quote chapter and verse or give a link to any references….but that's what I recall.

FWIW, Wikipedia's BSM Entry backs you up. The Bronze Star Medal has been very marginalized by the fact that literally ANYONE serving in a combat zone can get it, regardless of their actual mission (looking at you Combat Finance). That wiki entry actually mentions a few stories of the USAF handing them out under pretty dubious circumstances. I actually know two Marines that have asked NOT to be awarded a BSM because of that very reason, and they didn't feel that they did enough in combat to deserve it.

jmcquate

Contributor
You know what you have done...........the men next to you have done.........why care about flare on your chest?

exNavyOffRec

Recall reading some articles about USAF awarding bronze stars for finance operations in Iraq. Surprised to find out bronze stars can be handed out for non-combat actions.

http://www.airforcetimes.com/articl...01/Tech-sgts-take-heat-after-receiving-medals

Would think an AF equivalent COM or MSM would be more appropriate then a bronze star.

I was thinking about how many of the guys who were in combat don't come home with a BSM yet alone anything, but then I thought for those that have been in combat I am guessing coming home alive beats any award they could get.

A7Dave

pilot
I believe that poor man was troubled by other, larger (for him) issues.

That was a real shame. It did seem like an innocent or unknowing mistake. I thought E-1 to CNO was a greater story than a "v" which you can't see from more than 10 feet away.

Pags: "Top three is the only way to fly. All the other stuff just gets caught by your seatbelt."

I'm with you on that. My beef is that we're giving North Korean Generals a run for their money. Unseemly.

Unfortunately it seems to be an arms race with ever increasing numbers of ribbons and medals for nothing other than possessing a heartbeat and no attendant risk, exertion, or excellence required for the award.

BTW, the pistol and rifle ribbon medal I would say has a long history in the armed forces starting at least 100 years ago.

Renegade One

None
BTW, the pistol and rifle ribbon medal I would say has a long history in the armed forces starting at least 100 years ago.
Concur. Both were the second and third decos I ever had. I felt pretty proud of them. Had to actually do something to earn them. :) Much akin to the USMC shooting devices, which I gather are still held in some high regard.

Last edited:

LET73

Yeah, my pistol and rifle ribbons are a couple of the few I actually earned, as opposed to the four ribbons/medals just for showing up in Afghanistan. Most people probably realize that the campaign and unit awards don't mean much, and I'd hesitate to read too much into someone's multiple NAMs, or a Bronze Star without a V. What bothers me is the "he's [x rank], so he gets [y medal]." That completely takes away from the point of personal awards.