• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Has The Navy Gone Geedunk Crazy?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
He would have grabbed an epee, handed you one, and proceeded to wipe the floor with you in fencing. Man was an Olympic pentathlete, after all.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Well played...beating me up with the very instruction I quoted. I guess I meant more specifically, like "O4/E7 gets NCM, O5/E9 gets MSM, etc," which is what I've seen happen.
Yeah, HSCWL and CNAL had some more specific guidance that "clarified" the intent of the 1650. One thing to note is that the 1650 only discusses positional requirement with the more administrative awards. There was no rank criteria for the MOH.
Skipper's Call: I have the authority to award NAMs…or I could submit the citations (for service involving aerial flight) into the great maw of the Navy awards process (in peacetime)…and get a "denied" letter in two years…after all of us have moved on.
A squadron CO cutting a NAM for his guys ensures that they get at least some TIMELY recognition. I think the process needs to work on being easier to get folks approved for the correct award (what Pags? More awards for people? Why should the Navy shy away from recognizing its people at every opportunity?). In a lot of cases I think there are other award that are more appropriate than a NAM, but it's such a pain to get anything else everyone shys away from it. I think part of this is ensuring that the award for your folks gets elevated above the admin shop at the ISIC; if the CO briefs the COMMO the award is less likely to get lost in the morass that is the ISICs admin shop chopping an award that's been signed off on by a CO.

Renegade One

None
A squadron CO cutting a NAM for his guys ensures that they get at least some TIMELY recognition.
Yes. "Give me my flowers while I'm alive, son!"
I think the process needs to work on being easier to get folks approved for the correct award ...In a lot of cases I think there are other award that are more appropriate than a NAM, but it's such a pain to get anything else everyone shys away from it.
Yes times three, I guess.
I think part of this is ensuring that the award for your folks gets elevated above the admin shop at the ISIC; if the CO briefs the COMMO the award is less likely to get lost in the morass that is the ISICs admin shop chopping an award that's been signed off on by a CO.
Good luck with that…but we're probably in violent agreement.

Redux

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the ribbons you can get for pistol and rifle shooting.....
Another that everybody and his mother seems to have now. Are they using these opticals?
Al%20Czervik.jpg

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Who knows? But when you've got a SIG 228 that Uncle has conveniently modified with a ridiculously heavy spring on the double action trigger pull . . . "Lane 7! If you take that much time on your alibi, you're not getting any points!" Fuck you, MA1. I put the round where it belongs. Safely. You want to debate my shooting expert vs sharpshooter? We'll play a little game; it's called "rock, paper, rank." Don't want to play? I own one of these weapons and practice. So come up here and I'll outshoot your ass.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
I qualified expert fair and square with iron sights. It isn't hard. I have shot a M-4 exactly two times in my life. As long as the gun isn't bent or otherwise f'ed up, anyone with good eyesight and basic shooting skills can do it.

Redux

It's really not that hard to qualify with iron sights and minimal training. Now getting the funding to qualify?

Is the old PRP program still in place? We all shot the quals for that.... nobody at that time even thought of the geedunks that might have been given. Not that big a deal, I dunno. It was a bit more FUN shooting a Garand off the fantail en-route to Westpac to qual for sponson watches. Didn't realize at the time that they were re-chambered or sleeved for slightly shorter 7.62 NATO that was a Navy thing for whatever reason. "Real Men" would rather an 06! :D

azguy

None
I qualified expert fair and square with iron sights. It isn't hard. I have shot a M-4 exactly two times in my life. As long as the gun isn't bent or otherwise f'ed up, anyone with good eyesight and basic shooting skills can do it.

In VBSS school they end the live fire training with a 'tactical' shoot and move style qual course with the M4 w/ red dot sight optics. I swear I had a harder time playing Halo than I did passing that course with a perfect score. If I had $2k burning a hole on my pocket, I'd spring for my own in a heartbeat, great weapon.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
In VBSS school they end the live fire training with a 'tactical' shoot and move style qual course with the M4 w/ red dot sight optics. I swear I had a harder time playing Halo than I did passing that course with a perfect score. If I had $2k burning a hole on my pocket, I'd spring for my own in a heartbeat, great weapon.

Colt 6920: $1000 (from Walmart...unless you're in CA)
Aimpoint PRO: $400 (probably cheaper if you look hard enough)

For $1400, you'll have the same thing as a M4 (plus 1.5 inches). Do it!