• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Has anyone heard, been denied, or accepted lately?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZSkegee

HooYa Warlord you have excellent scores, apply and find out is my only suggestion. I know how that getting the boot after the first two sections feels also(taken test 4 times) only got the boot2 twice

utrico

Applying for OCS
Originally posted by CandKyMarine
utrico-
I have a couple of questions for you.
1. Do you have some preconceived notion that the Marines are a bunch of idiots? What makes you think that with lower grades you'll be accepted. In fact, the minimum ASTB scores for Marine pilot are higher than Navy. Also, this past board was the most selective, and GPA was a big factor.
2. What kind of shape are you in now? To be competitive for the board you'll need a 285-290 PFT (300 = 20 pullups, 100 crunches, 18 min 3-mil run). And that's just to get in... once you get there the PFT is the easiest physical activity you'll have.
3. You don't sound like you want to be a Marine officer. As a Marine pilot you will not spend all your time flying. You also still have to go to TBS and will have a B-Billet tour.
You attitude is unacceptable. Unlike the University of Texas being a backup for those who don't get into Texas A&M, Marine Corps Aviation is a step up, NOT a backup for Naval Aviation failures.
1. I don’t have any preconceived notions that the Marines are a bunch of idiots. I have talked to my recruiter several times and he has emphasized that my GPA would not be an issue. In fact, he said as long as you have a 2.0 or better you are fine. This was a completely different tune than the Navy was singing. My ASTB scores are fine (8/7/7 and OAR 62) which is backed up by a B.S. in Aerospace Engineering.
2. As I said, I am working on getting in better shape like most people on this forum. Could I score a 285 on the PFT right now? No way, but that is why I am running 5-6 times per week and hitting the gym as much as I can and eating a lot better. I have been in close contact with the Marine recruiters and they do not seem to be worried about where I am right now as far as fitness because they can see where I am going. I understand how difficult the physical activity is in the Marines and I look forward to it.
3. My attitude is just fine. Navy was my first choice and I am not afraid to say that. My grandfather and father were both Navy pilots and I wanted to follow in their footsteps. I like the Marines and the bond they all share. I do not see it as a step up or step down. It is just a different avenue to take. I think I will do just fine in the Marines and I hope you are in my class so I can see just how well you do after all of your big talk.

By the way, UT engineering is ranked higher than A&M.

AZSkegee

Alright guys relax,just some info, navy and marines are on the same team, also marine squadrons will be deployed with navy squadrons in the future, so whats the big deal. A pilot is a pilot, they were cammys we were khakis

JTP

It's been awhile since I've been on. Is anyone getting SNA? Is the Navy still looking for a 3.5GPA and a 55+ OAR? What about the vision waiver? Are they accepting LASEK, yet? No, not LASIK....LASEK.

What ever happened to Ghost? Did he ever get selected?

I'm thinking about reapplying. I was shutdown last year.

Tyler

paskez2

Hey everyone,

I noticed that there hasn't been much activity on this thread recently, and since I'm new here I'll pass along some details about my situation. I sent my application back in June and heard back early August that I was rejected for SNA. I kind of expected this since my recruiter told me that it would be extremely difficult to be selected for an SNA slot this year, citing the availability of only 2 or 3 slots remaining. My ASTB test scores were all 9s and a 65 OAR. I believe my GPA may have been a factor in my rejection. I graduated with only a 3.0 from UPenn with a BA in Chemistry and a BS in CSE. MY LOR were from 2 previous employers and the dean from my Engineering School. I also don't have my PPL, which I'm not sure if that hurt my application or not. I'm also going to need a waiver for my PRK surgery.

My recruiter (who has been extremely helpful) told me that the SNA board will be convening in the middle of October, and I have already resubmitted my application. They are already asking for my anthro measurements, which she says is encouraging since it is not in sync with the rest of the application process. I really hope this time around I'll hear some good news, but if not I'll just keep working at my day job, improve my app in anyway possible and continue to resubmit as many times as it takes baby.

Jason

steve02

I'm new to the forum and have not began the OCS process. I've always wanted to be a Marine and will be in a few years regardless of what may or may not happen as far as aviation goes. It is, however, my dream, and something I would give up almost anything for (as is the case for most of you, im sure). I am currently a sophomore and have a 3.1 GPA. I'm a Mech. Eng. major minoring in Physics and Mathematics. I have not taken my PFT's, nor have I taken my ASTB's. I'm pretty sure I'm in control of what I need to be doing, but ask if there is any advice you guys have for someone who is where you once were. I ask in this forum specifically because I'm starting out and could use any information from students who have gone through what I am about to go through. More specifically, I'd like to know any regrets you may or may not have about the decisions you've made over the past few years (things you may have done differently from the beginning). I'm training my ass off just so I can be where most of you guys are now and understand its not an easy thing. I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

jasand

I am relatively new to this site as well. Jason I have also heard that there is going to be an aviation selection board Oct. 21st. It's taken me a while to get my package together, I took the ASTB back in May and we finally got everything sent up by the end of August. I am applying for SNA only, I have a 3.3 with a B.S. and an M.S. in Chemical Engineering from Carnegie Mellon University. The GPA is not the greatest but it is a tough major and a good school so I hope that will make up the difference. My ASTB went well OAR-65 8/8/8. I also lettered in varsity football at CMU and have two years of professional experience with Exxonmobil and my current position with Dow Chemical. My letters of recomendation are kind of weak but I just don't happen to know any Generals or Admirals. I know that competition is pretty tough, but I think that is a good thing. Best of luck to everyone, hope to see you some day at OCS!

-Jason

Borncreole

Is the 21 Oct board for all SNA applicants ie active duty/BDCP/college graduates? I am on active duty and I sent my application in last week. Just curious....

jasand

All I've heard is that there is going to be a selection board. I don't know who it applies to other than the college grad pool, it may be for everyone. Sorry I don't have more info.

Penguin

Respect the WEZ
pilot
jasand,
If you don't know any flag officers, try a congressman. It's practically a requirement for the academies, and I've been told by several senior officers that they can really help a package. Heck, those politicians work for us right? Do some digging and see if you've got any "war heroes" around. If they see you're dedicated and want to serve, they may just help you out. OBTW-don't limit yourself to just where you live now. You've probably had congressmen(persons??) from your hometown, colleges, etc. Just a thought. It's all about how you present yourself to them.

LTJG G

RobNLa

I found out two days ago that I was not selected. I was pro rec'd in August, but did not make final selection. I applied for 1.SNA, 2.Intel, 3.Crpyto. I plan on reapplying after this semester.

Status
Not open for further replies.